Profile for Ms. E. Blankson > Reviews

Content by Ms. E. Blankson

Ms. E. Blankson "emma_vampire" (london)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Future for Curious People
The Future for Curious People
by Gregory Sherl

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic chick lit novel with an added twist of slight science fiction., 15 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The future for curious people is based around the lives of two people. Godfrey who is clearly matched to the wrong person (this becomes clear in the first couple of pages) and who is convinced by his other half, Madge, to go for a future reading to see if they have a future together. And Evelyn, a woman who breaks up with her partner Adrian, because after a future reading she realises that the future that she sees with him is not one that she wants.

It is predictable but overall quite enjoyable. There are parts in the beginning when Evelyn got on my nerves, notably when the author decides through Evelyn to re write some classics, ahem the Great Gatsby, and reveals in doing so the ending of the classics. Though I get that it is supposed to be establishing the character of Evelyn, it seems to be one step forward and a couple of leaps back as it starts with Evelyn in a familiar and yet funny situation with all her musings and internal thoughts and then hits a traffic jam and trawls through as it describes her job.

Another bug I found with the book is that there are some random characters who I thought added little or nothing to the book in general, either in being funny or being relevant to any main or sub story line. I guess these were also there to flesh out the characters of Evelyn and Godfrey.

The book also hints at deeper issues, like George and Evelyn’s relationships with their retrospective parents, but it doesn't really face it too deeply, keeping the tone light enough that you don't dwell on it.

Overall there were lots of enjoyable parts of the book. Dr Chin and his interaction with Godfrey was very funny and Godfrey’s friends, the shop keepers and parents made me smile.

So if you like chit lit and haven't read, or do not want to read the Great Gatsby, then I would recommend this book.

Amity & Sorrow
Amity & Sorrow
by Peggy Riley

4.0 out of 5 stars You're like, makes sense but woah that's sad., 18 May 2015
This review is from: Amity & Sorrow (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I won't give an in depth synopsis but in brief the story is about two sister (self-named on the book) and their mother, Amaranth. It starts with them running away from the cult their father and husband started when there is a fire and crashing into a tree on a farm. Essentially it is about their journey home; home for Sorrow being back in the cult where she was their oracle, home for Amaranth being somewhere new and for Amity the struggle to find home.

The story is mainly shown through Amity's eyes, though it does have an overall narration and is told through the eyes of Amaranth and sometimes skips to Sorrow.

There is not much that is surprising, it is all logical and the themes in it are what I would associate with a cult of that nature. However it is gripping, you want to know why Sorrow has turned out the way she has, and when you find out, you're like, makes sense but woah that's sad.

You get a brief glimpse into why Amaranth has been the way she is through the flash backs, though not all of her history is revealed. And you see the struggles that Amaranth goes through with the farmer (Bradley), the conflict between the old way of life and a new way of life.

It's a coming of age story of Amity too. She is not sure of exactly how a woman should act with all the rules gone and though she often holds all the missing pieces, she doesn't have the tools, as a woman might, to know how to act.

Overall, I really liked it. The pace was just right. The flash backs put in the appropriate place. I was not a fan of maybe two things, the first is that I could never quite tell how old Sorrow is supposed to be. And also I am not a fan of the ending, not talking about the way that it ended not being to my liking but more that it felt slightly rushed. Still. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes general fiction and possibly thrillers... possibly.

Russell Hobbs 21350 Mix and Go Blender, 300 Watt - White
Russell Hobbs 21350 Mix and Go Blender, 300 Watt - White

3.0 out of 5 stars I crush up ice with a banana and chopped apples with some strawberries and it tastes good. The machine didn't struggle with the, 12 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had this for quite a while and I have probably not used it as often as I thought I would. However, saying that it works as I expected. I crush up ice with a banana and chopped apples with some strawberries and it tastes good. The machine didn't struggle with the ice and I guess it wouldn't struggle with the whole apple, but it is not big enough to fit the whole apple in it.

The best thing about it is the fact that once you have made your smoothie, you can just take the propeller base off replace with the lid and it is ready to go. You also have two bottles so you can always put one in the sink to wash (I don't have a dish washer so I am not sure how good it is in there) and fill up the other one. It saves on the washing and on the mess when you are transferring from container to bottle.

I have a gripe, which to be fair to the product, it out of its intended use. But I did try putting water in it and it does drip a little bit out of the bottle, which is annoying. Smoothies tend to be a bit thicker, so maybe that is the difference.

So, if you have a blender already but you want something fast - ish (the ish is because your fruits have to fit into the bottle so you may need to chop them up if they are not big enough) then this blender is worth getting.

Weetabix Strawberry Breakfast Drink 250 ml (Pack of 8)
Weetabix Strawberry Breakfast Drink 250 ml (Pack of 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars A shake that works, 21 Mar. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first saw that Weetabix was doing a shake, I mistakenly thought that it would taste a bit like Weetabix, maybe with a strawberry taste hint to it and be thick in texture.

But it tasted more like slim fast when I first tried it, and I didn’t like it at all, but then I had drank it warm instead of cold, as recommended, (I cannot stress enough that you really do have to have it chilled or it tastes horrible).
Chilled it was nice, it wasn’t spectacular and there was nothing Weetabix like about it, apart from the name on the bottle, however, what impressed me, and my mum when she drank one from my pack, was that I didn’t get hungry again for about four hours. This alone gives it four stars, I have tried breakfast shakes before and they don’t ever last that long and being that I rarely have time in the morning to eat, it is a massive time saver.

I would definitely recommend and buy them again.

XMI Xmini Uno Portable Mini Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Gun Metal Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 1 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had this for a long while and it is, as the review says, absolutely brilliant. It is able to give a non tinny base and if you didn't really know, you would think it is two speakers and not a small non descript little machine.

The volume is louder than our ipod dock and actually we use it to get a fuller sound from the laptop when we watch movies on it.

It jumps, like almost dancing to the beat, if it is opened when you have something like a heavy hiphop track on, but to be honest I don't have much need to open it, it sounds great when it is closed as well.

The battery lasts for ages, so in the whole time I have had it I have hardly ever had to charge it and I use it alot.

Also I have, being clumsy, dropped it a few times and it still works very well, so it is durable.

It is the perfect speaker, so i would recommend this to anyone over any other speaker(s) and if going on holiday, it is the perfect companion for your phone/mp3 player, being that it works just from being connected into the head/ear phone port, is small and weighs very little.

Can't reccomend it enough.

Brighton Rock (Radio Collection)
Brighton Rock (Radio Collection)
by Graham Greene
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Not usual my thing, 30 Mar. 2013
So, I am not going to review brighton rock itself, as this has been done many times, but the audio book itself.

I am not one to listen to audio books, I've tried, bad experiences of whiny and too high pitch voices, and I am just not a big fan of someone reading to me. Nevertheless I thought I would give it one more try. And i am glad that I did.

The male voice had the right tone and temperament and it didn't make me want to turn off. In fact it was quite soothing to the ears.

Will I now get more audio books, no, its still harder to find where you left off from when you fall asleep, and I still prefer my own intonations and expressions when reading something for myself.

However if you like audio books, try this one out. And, lol, the story is good too.

Philips SatinSoft HP6520/01 Wet & Dry Epilator with Skin Care System with exfoliation brush

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 30 Mar. 2013
The epilator does what it says on the box, it pulls the hairs from your legs. It does hurt a bit, as with all epilators, but the pain is short lived and the result, worth it.

But is this any different to a wire epilator or any other kind? Truthfully, no, the added brush, which doesnt make all that much difference, you can get from the pound store and the luxury bag, is just a bag, so they are not plus points.

The benefits are that it is wireless and that I can use other heads, as only one head is given in the pack and I got two with my wired one, on this epilator.

Manfrotto Stile Bella IV Shoulder Bag Bungee Cord
Manfrotto Stile Bella IV Shoulder Bag Bungee Cord

3.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than I thought, 2 Oct. 2011
This bag says that it can carry two lens apart from the one on the camera.

Well technically this is true, if you take out all the dividers. Then it packs in quite snugly and I have 18 - 55, 55 - 200, and 50mm sony lenses which just about fit.

Truthfully it is probably better to go for a slightly bigger bag if you have more than two lenses. But apart from the size, it is very waterproof, it is useful having a zip and as well as a buckle bit on the front, as in case you get to do up one you always have the other, and it has a nice pouch bit where I keep my spare battery, lens cleaner and a memory card cover.

It is quite bulky though, so more often than not I don't take it around, but for what it is and what I paid for it, it is an alright product.

City Island [DVD] [2009]
City Island [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Andy Garcia

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Island, 2 Oct. 2011
This review is from: City Island [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really loved this film, such a huge contrast to the movies that I usually consider great, but it truthfully is awesome.

It's based around Vincent, a prison correctional officer who pretends to his family he is going to a poker class but is actually going to acting classes, his daughter, who is secretly a stripper, the very fiery mum, his secret son from a previous relationship who just comes out of prison and the youngest son who is a feeder. They all tell each other white lies to cover what they are actually doing, which roll out of hand, and it's a story of the truth coming out.

The acting from Garcia and Margulies is wicked. You can almost feel the tension and sense when the one word is going to cause a bust up. And generally just the relationships between the characters are done very well. No gimmicks or special effects, just good acting.

Seriously very funny, I was laughing nearly all the way though. The only negative or possible point of contention is the character Molly, I don't think she was necessary to the plot and she didn't seem to add anything.

So, if you want a warm, happy and funny movie, then this is the one.

ghd Iconic Eras New Wave Limited Edition Gold Series Classic Styler Hair Straightener Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe The Hype, 23 Jun. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always thought that GHD was just a brand name and that the straighteners were as good as any other.

I was very wrong. They are a fast working, one time pull through, sleek, pretty and classy. I could feel the quality of the product as I used it, and it helped that it came with a book and I was able to put curls in my hair.

I have extensions in my hair and it didn't seem to be a problem at all! Previous straighteners took a few pulls before the kinks (from wearing a hair band) went straight.

In addition, it comes with a very stylish heat resistant bag, which can also be used and probably will be used for going out on a night out.

I only have one thing that is a minor negative and it is just that the straighteners have to be slightly forced into the bag diagonally;it doesn't easily fit.

But I really would and have already recommended this product

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6