Profile for steppenw0lf > Reviews

steppenw0lf

Fractured
Fractured

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible love story, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
Loved loved loved this book. A real page turner with characters that are really sympathetic. I just ate it up! A great twist ending (which I didn't expect), I cried so much.

The Story: Love, Loss & The Lives of Women: 100 Great Short Stories
The Story: Love, Loss & The Lives of Women: 100 Great Short Stories
by Victoria Hislop

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful! Must-have present for Xmas., 22 Nov. 2013
This book is so gorgeous, both inside and out, and really chunky. I ordered it for my mother-in-law's birthday because she loves Victoria Hislop, but now it's firmly on my xmas wish list! Thank you Victoria for creating such a lovely collection.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Detective's Daughter
The Detective's Daughter

5.0 out of 5 stars Gosh it's good!, 12 Sept. 2013
I was really bowled over by this - smart, thrilling, genuinely emotionally complex. I really like her writing, it never talks down to you. Really reminded me of someone like Kate Atkinson or maybe Lionel Shriver. The setting is beautifully detailed and evoked with a very light touch. Can't wait for her next one!

Breaking Point (Joe Pickett series Book 13)
Breaking Point (Joe Pickett series Book 13)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars!, 22 Mar. 2013
I love, love, love the landscape in these books. I just don't think there is a more unique setting for a thriller series than this lost world of vast plains, lush meadows and endless forest, with the towering mountains looming on all sides! it's vast and strangely claustrophobic at the same time - awesome, with the emphasis on the awe. But, if being able to convey that weren't enough, Mr Box goes even further. The twists and turns just keep you ripping through hte pages, desperate to finish but terrified to continue. I just can't recommend this highly enough. Please keep writing!

Lethal People (Donovan Creed Book 1)
Lethal People (Donovan Creed Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 8 Dec. 2012
I know some people are giving it a butchering, but I think this is a brill series. As I said about wish list (no 5) - it weirdly reminds me of modern-day Raffles mysteries. or, what might happen if Jack Reacher tried to get a day job! Anyway, hilarious, loads of explosions, unbelievable one-liners. Insanely moreish.

Wish List (Donovan Creed Book 5)
Wish List (Donovan Creed Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 8 Dec. 2012
This series is like austin powers to the max. Love Donovan Creed, it reminds me of a modern day Raffles.

Among Others
Among Others

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic!, 7 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Among Others (Kindle Edition)
I bought this because Ursula le - one of my favourite authors - recommended it online. And I was delighted to learn that Jo Walton is Welsh. But now I'm going to add her to my must-buy authors!

This is a beautiful book, which revolves around twin girls Morwenna and Morganna. But when one of the sisters dies, the other is bereft. But what excited me more than anything was the way that the myths and legends we live with come to life. Through the stories that she loves, Mor is able to look at the world anew, catching glimpses of our most cherished creations: the creatures of imagination. (although it turns out fairies like to live in industrial ruins).

it did make me cry, and I LOVED it.

The Conductor
The Conductor

4.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet and beautiful, 30 July 2012
This review is from: The Conductor (Kindle Edition)
Heartrending, devastating, but ultimately this book has the feeling of a love song to a lost time and place which reminds you of The Pianist or Simon Mawer's Glass Room. One of my favourite things was the way she talks about music. I immediately had to order the Leningrad Symphony so I could relive some of the best moments.

The Rook (The Checquy Files Book 1)
The Rook (The Checquy Files Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in years, 30 July 2012
Weirdly, I saw Charlaine Harrris had picked this as her favourite book this year, so I bought it and i was not disappointed! Best book I've read in years.

"The body you are wearing used to be mine." So begins the letter Myfanwy Thomas is holding when she awakes in a London park surrounded by bodies all wearing latex gloves.

But that's only the first page: Thomas discovers she is a Rook, a member of a secret government agency that protects Britain from supernatural threats. I loved these characters. Think Buffy meets the X-Men. Weird and funny and completely brilliant. There's a boarding school for super-powered children, a laconic vampire, a dragon, tentacle-people and a house that eats people, and somehow Thomas has to deal with them all while trying to find out who's trying to kill her. It's not like I read fantasy alot. But I can't wait for the next one!