Profile for Ms. Rachael Kearsley > Reviews

Content by Ms. Rachael Ke...

Ms. Rachael Kearsley "charlottekearsley" (Lancashire, UK)

Beauty Tips From Moose Jaw: Excursions in the Great Weird North
Beauty Tips From Moose Jaw: Excursions in the Great Weird North
by Will Ferguson
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another funny book by Will Ferguson, 29 July 2012
Having loved his travel book on Japan, 'Hokkaido Highway Blues', I was interested to see if Will Ferguson's candid humour, (particularly disarming in relation to culture shock) would translate well to his writing about his home country. I think it does. Unlike 'Hokkaido' - this is not a single journey or a linear narrative, really, it's a series of chapters on low profile areas of Canada, like Hudson Bay, and Moose Jaw. It's definitely more of a 'dip into' book - because here is a fair amount of autobiographical detail and local history in some chapters. Reading the chapters in succession is good as well though, because some of the later chapters refer to historical events which he mentions earlier in the book. These details are a nice complement to his own observations, which are sometimes laugh out loud funny. On balance, I prefer his book on Japan by a small margin, which would get 6 stars from me! This is still very much worth a read. 5 stars.

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
by Debbie Stoller
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars This book taught me to crochet, 22 Aug 2011
I had already attempted to learn to crochet around 3 years ago and had given up in sheer disgust, as it just didn't seem to be happening for me. I decided I was probably a knitter and not a crocheter. I only bought this because having enjoyed (and learned knitting from) "Stitch 'n' Bitch, The Knitters Handbook", I thought it might give me some hope, if nothing else. I was really impressed. The instructions are simple and clear, as are the diagrams, and I was able to cast on and crochet a swatch while I progressed through the book, experimenting with the various stitches listed. The series of techniques to learn are laid out in a systematic and sensible fashion throughout the book - this means that while you stretch yourself, you don't get intimidated. I have tried a couple of the patterns too, which were great to for a beginner, and as far as I'm aware they had no mistakes in them (although I'm not an expert). The projects are varied - there are some in particular that would make lovely gifts.

I recommend this highly as a first 'learn to crochet' book - it is written in straightforward language and with Debbie Stoller's characteristically light hearted style. Brilliant.

The Popes: A History
The Popes: A History
by Viscount John Julius Norwich
Price: 19.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, 18 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Popes: A History (Hardcover)
I would highly recommend this book as I think it is a readable and very enjoyable introduction to the subject. The conflicts and difficulties in establishing the primacy of the Vatican are brought out particularly strongly. The authorial voice is lively and engaging, and the coverage of topics cannot be detailed, but I would say is adequate and well-balanced. It is written in a fast-paced narrative style - and it has really sparked my interest in the topic.

On Chesil Beach
On Chesil Beach
by Ian McEwan
Price: 10.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitively written, beautiful., 10 April 2008
This review is from: On Chesil Beach (Hardcover)
I found the depiction of the relationship between the two main characters Edward and Florence and McEwan's observation of their interaction beautifully observed. This is what made the book riveting. This story of an ill-fated honeymoon starts by filling us with hope which is gradually overtaken by a growing sense of apprehension as some of the differences in their backgrounds and characteristics begin to seem irreconcilable.

The ending is sad, and left me feeling a little dissatisfied but I think this is what was intended. The book is characterised by dashed hopes and a sense of disappointment and anticlimax. The reader simply becomes involved in this because there are no real answers at the end. I finished reading it in one evening and I really wish it had been longer. But in a way I'm also glad it wasn't.

I absolutely adored McEwan's Enduring Love, as well, I would highly recommend thisand I think that one of his main strengths as a writer is his sensitivity in adding detail and the poignancy he can evoke.