Profile for Soloman Minchin > Reviews

Northern Soul: 20 Original Classics
Northern Soul: 20 Original Classics
Price: 4.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 15 April 2012
I've been abroad for a while but recently got back and picked this up. I first started going to Reading Old Soul Society nights in 1982 and whilst I never made it to Wigan (too young) I love this comp because there's an impressive number of great tracks here. Yes I was around when Frank Wilson's originally withdrawn, subsequently bootlegged, Do I Love You soundtracked a KFC ad and to be honest I was happy to hear that because such a great record got aired to millions of people at that point and I'm sure touched many. But this comp also digs much deeper and consequently there are some serious cuts here by The Dells (a Terry Callier written and produced epic no less), Eddie Holman and The Originals again bootlegged classic Suspicion. For 4 this is a great album and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're probably just some bitter twisted northern soul snob.

20 Original Mod Classics
20 Original Mod Classics
Price: 4.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Mod-Tastic!, 15 Jan 2011
I originally bought this just for the Yvonne Baker track which I'd heard on the radio years ago but never found on CD before. So I was real suprised to find that for 3 I'd actually got a whole load more cracking tracks too. The Billy Stewart tune is hot and the Marvalettes a 24 carat classic. I'd forgotten how good they were. The real highlight though was the stuff I didn't know and not without some irony from the British 60s bands rather than just the US soulsters. The Eyes, Billy Nichols and the Rod Stewart ballad are just 3 of the wonderful tracks included on this top compilation. I even dig the sleeve, the images, particularly the bobby on his bike next to the boys on their scooters, are great.