ARRAY(0xa3c21eac)

Profile for Smee > Reviews

Content by Smee

Smee (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The King: Number 12 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
The King: Number 12 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Price: 5.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 4 April 2014
*******SPOILER ALERT! ********

I am a huge fan of the early BDB books...although after Rehv's book I started to become disenchanted with the series, so I really wanted this book to be the one that made me fall back in love with the series but it feels like JR Ward has lost her way; too many characters, not enough interesting story lines, too much waffle and unfortunately, that hasn't changed with this book.

I didn't think I’d ever say this about the BDB series but the book was far too long. I actually skipped through sections…the three other story lines - Selena/Trez, Xcor/Layla and Sola/Assail - added absolutely nothing to the story and I got bored with them quite quickly as there was no real relevance or depth to the characters.
I found Xcor's turnaround unbelievable and as there was no resolution to any of these stories, I’m guessing that’s where the next book is headed but it felt like there really isn't much further to go with the stories; that they were so close to being finished that she will be dragging them out if she wants to carry on with them. I mean, with Trez and Xcor they clearly want the females and the females know that but won't get them initially, then after lots of waffle and introspection, they'll get their HEA. Snooze!

The main story line of Beth and Wrath was so protracted that I got to the point where I didn't care what happened to them, which as the “First Couple” (in the series and as King and Queen!) was a shame.
I know they had issues to work through - her wanting a baby, him not and the threat to the throne - but it felt all so drawn out and I think could've been covered in a novella. I just wanted the book to end!!
Then, the last few chapters where she has the baby, he dissolves the monarchy and then is elected king after spending time with the commoners was so rushed and felt like JR had had enough of the book and just wanted to wrap everything up in a nice, cosy ending that just felt sloppy. This was a monumental situation; the very fabric of the vampire race has been changed yet it was so rushed and almost felt like an afterthought!
Also, what was all that stuff about JM and the seizures about? I thought it was the point where him being the reincarnation of Darius was going to be brought up but it hardly got mentioned again. Again, suppose that will be in the next book. Not sure I could handle another JM book though, he’s one of my least favourite characters!

One of the things I loved about the BDB is that some of the guys spoke in a cool and relevant way... it was just V and Butch originally but now they're all talking as if they were raised in the Bronx and it's just not right!!
Payne, Manny, Selena, Beth, Wrath have suddenly all developed a ghetto turn of phrase that seemed out of character and I had to double check who was talking. Felt like JR had lost sight of her characters so made them all to speak in one kind of voice.

I also got so fed up with the pop culture references - not being American a few of them passed straight over my head but referencing Kanye, Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus in the first few chapters was way over the top and seemed to be out of place in this vampire world, who care little about the human world - who was JR aiming these references at, is she writing for a younger audience now?

So all in all, I’m disappointed with this book and feel that my BDB journey may well be at an end. Which is a shame, true? 3.5 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 10:15 AM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Energy Gels, 31 Mar 2014
I cannot give this product 5 stars because that implies that I love the product and unfortunately I don't. This is because it doesn't taste fabulous but it is a really great product when you need that extra energy boost to get you through your long cycle!
The orange flavour is better than others (the cola one for example) and it doesn't make me gag like some of the others but I cannot say that it tastes nice but it does do its job.

A note on the seller (Harris Active Sports) - I had problems receiving this product; not the sellers fault but the courier company and the sellers (Tom in particular) was incredibly helpful and offered to resend the product at no extra cost to me to ensure i received it before a long cycle on the Sunday. I really appreciated this and would buy from again, based on this excellent customer services alone (and the fact that they're very competitively priced!)

The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide
The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide
Price: 4.72

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to think about this!, 25 Mar 2014
I am a massive fan of the BDB books so while waiting for the latest one to be released I thought I'd give this a look.
Unfortunately, I wish I hadn't!
First of all, I was a bit surprised by how little she liked V. I loved his book and he's one of my favourite characters but she literally had nothing to say about him - the interview was only a few lines long! Whereas Z and JM really shine as her favourites.

I'm sure the writers information is useful to budding authors but I found it all a bit self-indulgent and congratulatory which while J.R is entitled to feel good about how popular her books are, I just thought she came across as a bit smug - the Kicks and Giggles section was a good example of this, none of the quotes were very funny in my opinion, but it felt like she was really patting herself on the back for writing such good material - she says she's a very private person so i thought that she didn't need to do that publicly, as her sales will do that for her!

I also didn't like how she put herself into situations with the Brothers, they're fictional characters and to try to include her in their lives was just a bit weird in my opinion.

Anyway, I do love this series but I wish I hadn't got this guide. Or that it was written with more details about the Brothers, but without the inclusion of J.R in the situations - maybe Beth as a former journalist could've interviewed them?

Satan's Sword (Imp Series)
Satan's Sword (Imp Series)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Unapologetically demonic, 2 Mar 2014
I loved this book. Sam is a demon but none of this fluffy, caring kinda demon...oh no, she thrives on chaos, is unapologetically disgusting and very funny. The angry birds bit was fabulous, not entirely sure what the 6 legged cat was about but the horse and dog are an excellent, if somewhat cowardly (in Diablo's case).
About to start the 3rd book, so definitely read the first two in the series, it's panning out to be an excellent series!

Green-Eyed Demon: Sabina Kane: Book Three
Green-Eyed Demon: Sabina Kane: Book Three
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars love this series!, 11 Feb 2014
Really enjoyed this book. As with the previous ones in the series, this is well written with great characters and an exciting, well thought out story line. Loads of humour, love Giguhl!
Definitely recommend

Gibsons Sweet Memories of the 1970's jigsaw puzzle. (1000 pieces)
Gibsons Sweet Memories of the 1970's jigsaw puzzle. (1000 pieces)
Offered by dazzink
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 29 Jan 2014
A very high quality puzzle, the pieces are well cut and fit together really well. The pictures are clear and it brought back some great memories of sweets from my youth. Although it did make me want to eat some there and then!!

Dirty Magic: Prospero's War: Book One
Dirty Magic: Prospero's War: Book One
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 29 Jan 2014
Really well written, funny in places with a great leading lady. It took a few chapters to wrap my head around the various types of magic and the way that it affects people but it didn't detract from the story at all and i was soon unable to put the book down!

Will definitely be reading other books by this author

Breville VKJ142 Hot Cup
Breville VKJ142 Hot Cup
Offered by Bright Sparks Store
Price: 38.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than a kettle?, 29 Jan 2014
Hmmm, not sure about this really. I like to have a big mug of tea and this doesn't fill up that mug in one go. So i put it on again and then it overflows! I tried only putting in the exact amount of water that i needed - ie a mug full but it seems that some gets lost somewhere as I needed a ladder to get to the top of my tea!!
I've also tried my smaller mugs but these also seem to be too big so I'm not that impressed.
Think i'll just get a proper kettle instead.

Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD]
Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall
Price: 13.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best DVD, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD] (DVD)
I buy Davina's DVD's religiously every December but I have been disappointed by her last few efforts. Luckily she has enough in her back catalogue to keep me going!

This one has a simple concept - 15 minute sessions targetting specific areas. As i do work out quite often I didn't find this challenging at all, I had to do the whole DVD in order to feel like I had a reasonable workout. The individual sessions are ok, no new moves really.
I think i'll stick to the previous DVD's and consign this one to the back of the shelf!

Bob Harper Pure Burn Super Strength
Bob Harper Pure Burn Super Strength
Dvd ~ Bob Harper
Offered by Watch It Now UK
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing work out, 29 Jan 2014
This is a strength and conditioning workout and it really is hard work! I would say that I'm quite fit and usually use a heavier weight but i've had to drop down a size as i just couldn't keep my arms up!
Bob works you very hard but is so encouraging which really helps. Also helps that he is easy on the eye!!
There is an easier version to follow but this is still not very easy. You need to have a certain level of fitness to do this DVD, i wouldn't recommend it for total beginners.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6