Profile for S. Fullaway > Reviews

Seriously Good! Gluten-free Cooking: In Association with Coeliac UK
by Phil Vickery
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Inspired Recipes!, 16 Jan 2010
Having recently being diagosed with a gluten intolerance and being a real lover of food I feel a real glimmer of hope after buying this cook book.
I have found with other books that recipes tent to be bland and samey but Phil has done a wonderful job in obviously spending time to test the various flours to ensure they give the best results for the dish is question. Having a bit of a sweet tooth the biggest disappointment for me has been having to miss out on cakes and desserts when eating out and I must say that the cakes section of this book is great. Its a real shame more restaurants don't offer at least 1 baked gluten free option when they are easy to bake and just as tasty as regular desserts! The shortbread recipe tastes just like normal shortbread, the bakewell pudding is lovely and I've just baked the chocolate brownies and OMG they are great!! (even if i do say so myself!!) When i bought the book I visited an online health food shop and managed to buy all the flours (just type them in google and I'm sure you'll find them) Yes, they cost more than normal flours but thats to be expected as they are rarer. Its definitely worth investing in the right flours as i'm not sure that replacing them will give the best results.
Happy cooking!!