Profile for Greg > Reviews

A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing
A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing
Price: 4.20

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give zero stars, 15 May 2014
I'll probably be slated for saying this but.....I'm fed up with the latest faddy literary device for having the narration spoken by some one in a child's voice, an autistic voice, a foreign language voice.etc. I'm sorry to say that I simply find it pretentious and extremely difficult. I know, I know that wonderful, possibly superhuman effort and research has gone into the writing and, if you stick with it, you eventually get the hang of it. But, I'm sorry, it's all too much effort. Emma Donoghue did for me in "The Room". I'm still recovering from the effort I made on that and I lasted about two pages with this one.
Not for me. Those of you with great patience and perseverance, go enjoy!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2014 8:21 PM BST

Arimathea
Arimathea
Price: 7.79

1.0 out of 5 stars What an effort I had to make to get through this!, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Arimathea (Kindle Edition)
.....and even with the effort I still couldn't bring myself to finish it!
This was hard-going. I'm not a reader who enjoys a deliberately surreal piece of writing and, if I had known that this was from that genre, I would have given it a miss. Everyone in our little book-club, bar one, felt the same way about it as I did. Tedious, over-elaborate, didn't seem to have a point to it ( was it telling us that "we all have a cross to bear"?...who knows?), unappealing characters (with the exception of Malachy).
We went for it because of the writer's reputation but, on this evidence, it feels as if he's "lost it".
I'm glad it's over!

The Testament of Mary
The Testament of Mary
Price: 3.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Worthy and eloquent but too long., 15 Jan 2014
As always with Colm Toibin, the prose is elegant, the construction excellent, the research no doubt beyond reproach. But, for the first time I did NOT enjoy aToibin book. I agreed with the overall theory. I was even pleased to see such a great mind put into words much of the cynicism I have always felt for the Jesus story. But, it was too long. It felt boring to have to sit through all those miracles which I already knew. Altogether, it was probably too worthy for me!

Fever
Fever
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralled all the way through, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fever (Kindle Edition)
I came to this book having just finished another so-called Irish epic called "Mount Merrion" by Justin Quinn. I didn't regard that book as at all "epic" so I was a bit jaundiced before I started "Fever". , But what a pleasant surprise. The style was smooth and the story was obviously very well researched. I have a bit of a problem with historic fiction in that I am concerned the author might overreach and impart unreality to the subject. I think it's less worrying when the topic is not a major historic event. So, this was a good choice for Mary Beth Keane. And it turned out to be genuinely epic! The turn of century Irish emigrants trying to make their way in a new world. The necessary mixture of aggression and thoughtfulness that they carried with them across the Atlantic. The brutality of the new environment. The sacrifice and loss that so many of them experienced. All brought together in one woman's life.
Couldn't put it down.

New Ways to Kill Your Mother: Writers and Their Families
New Ways to Kill Your Mother: Writers and Their Families
Price: 4.68

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 24 May 2013
I love Toibin's writing but, because of that, I didn't research this properly. It is more suited to someone who is looking for the sources of his style and what his opinions are on othere writers' styles. I'll stick to his normal fiction. Not for me

MoKo Slim-Fit Multi-angle Folio Cover Case for Samsung Ativ SmartPC 11.6-inch 500T 500T1C Windows 8 Tablet, BLACK (with Smart Auto Sleep/Wake)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, good quality, 24 May 2013
Didn't have particularly high expectations but this product was better than expected. Holds the tablet/pc securely and all access points are easy to get to. Little bit of a problem fitting the charger when the PC is in the case but it's not a big deal.

The Good Room: Why we ended up in a debtors' prison - and how we can break free
The Good Room: Why we ended up in a debtors' prison - and how we can break free
Price: 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the read, not so sure of the theories, 20 Mar 2013
I've given it four stars because it's fun to read and up-to-the-minute and a bit controversial.
I'm not so sure I enjoy his economic suggestions. They seem to be so against the mainstream that I am doubtful about them. He seems to favour action which will "avoid hitting the ordinary man-in-the-street" unlike the Irish government's apparent attempt to spread the pain. But if we hit the so-called wealthy in their savings investment vehicles then surely we are truly hitting the ordinary people who have their pensions, savings plans etc invested in these very schemes?
A good read and very illuminating.

The Empty Family: Stories
The Empty Family: Stories
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetic and moving, 5 Mar 2013
A book full of alienated and alienating characters. Are they alone through choice or accident of place? The ambivalence is part of the fun of the book. Beautifully written as always and deeply thought-provoking from the point of view of an Irish emigrant.

Treme - Season 1 (HBO) [DVD] [2011]
Treme - Season 1 (HBO) [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Steve Zahn
Price: 14.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, simply brilliant!, 28 Jan 2013
What a series......the atmosphere is so well-captured that I felt totally immersed if you will forgive a tasteless pun.
The music was wonderful, the characters were rich and well-drawn and I felt empathy for most of them. More please!

1800mAh High Capacity Battery for Dell Mini 5 & Streak
1800mAh High Capacity Battery for Dell Mini 5 & Streak

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had hoped, 28 Jan 2013
I haven't had this battery long and it has given up the ghost....holds it charge now for a very short time.....have gone back to buying the branded ones!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4