Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "C. UK" (UK)

Will Storr Vs. The Supernatural: One man's search for the truth about ghosts
Will Storr Vs. The Supernatural: One man's search for the truth about ghosts

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and not a little unnerving, 25 Feb. 2014
Being a fan of Jon Ronson I was recommended this book. Not really knowing what the author was about I was expecting a jokey romp through the paranormal world. What I got however was a thoroughly entertaining insight into the people who devote their lives to either investigating or using the supernatural to their own ends.
Will Storr had the same outlook as me regarding all things other worldly basically it's down to over active imagination. Which only makes some of Will's investigations in this book all the more creepy when he experiences phenomena for which he has no explanation.
I highly recommend this for anyone who enjoys the work of Mssrs Ronson and Theroux. Just don't read it alone.

World War One: History in an Hour
World War One: History in an Hour

4.0 out of 5 stars great insight, 4 Nov. 2013
The kind of thing that should be on the school syllabus.
To the point and very accurate. On to the next...

training clicker, pet dog puppy, with wrist strap (black)
training clicker, pet dog puppy, with wrist strap (black)
Offered by HuaSL

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well...for a day, 14 Oct. 2013
Took far too long to be delivered.
Then when it did arrive I used it for one day fine, next day the button sticks down, making it pretty useless

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great practical item and good value, 8 Dec. 2010
I purchased these for a trip to India.
Whilst there I wore them every day. On the beach, swimming in lakes and streams, on a jungle trek and out in the evening. Easy to wash and maintain. Very comfortable and kept feet nice and cool. Would highly recommend them

Crazy Diamond: Syd Barrett and the Dawn of "Pink Floyd": Syd Barrett and the Dawn of "Pink Floyd"
by Mike Watkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars infomative and sympathetic, 19 Mar. 2010
I purchased this book due to not knowing much, if anything about Syd, other than the urban myths and the fact he was the driving force behind the original Pink Floyd and the unique sound. I now feel I know a lot about this very influential British songwriter.
Beyond the sad subject I found this a very enjoyable read.
I hope more than anything that the part at the end book about the guitar in Paul Breens office at the hotel is true. It brought a huge involuntary smile to my face.

Hank Williams: A Biography
Hank Williams: A Biography
by Colin Escott

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous book, 26 Feb. 2010
Having only recently become a fan of Hank Williams music I felt I needed to know more about the man behind the music. This book gave me everything I needed and a lot more.
Biographies, and especially music biographies are my main choice of reading material. I have read dozens of them but this stands out as the best by far.
It portrays a man haunted by many demons throughout his short life. The women in Hank's life rarely if ever served his best interests and he appears to have been surrounded by people who wanted a piece of 'ol Hank'. A lot of the stories regading what Hank said and did at any paticualr time are heresay which Colin Escott acknowledges by also detailing other versions of events.
It is in turns inspiring, showing Hanks determination and drive during his younger years, and an ultimately sad book but I would recommend it for anyone with an interest in music as it explains how the music business worked in the USA through the 1930s to the 1950s.
I can not praise this book highly enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2013 12:58 AM BST

Cash: The Autobiography
Cash: The Autobiography
by Johnny Cash

5.0 out of 5 stars very honest and enlightening, 4 Feb. 2010
I'd start by saying I agree with one of the reviews about this book, in that it can make your teeth grind hearing Johnny say how great everyone in his life is and was. I firlmy believe this is due to how at peace he was whilst writing this book though.
Beyond that I would say this is a great insight into a true music legend and an artist who battled many personal demons to gain recognition again later in life.
He is brutally frank about his addictions and the effect this had on his career and the people close to him.
I was hoping to read more about his relationship with his Father, which is only touched upon later in the book, but in a way it is explained why there is not more about their relationship.
Even if you haven't got the slightest interest in Johnny Cash or Country music in general I would still recommend this as a very easy, entertaining read.

Ipod 5g Tunefm W/Dock Connector
Ipod 5g Tunefm W/Dock Connector

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant fault it, 26 Mar. 2008
I can imagine if you live in a very urban area or big city then you may have problems locking into a particular frequency for any length of time but I have had no problems whatsoever. Sounds great and as I drive a car that would alter the whole look of the dash if I changed stereo it's the only solution for me to be able to have my ipod whilst driving. I highly recommend this product. Great sound and probably the most user friendly item I own

Screwed: The Truth About Life as a Prison Officer
Screwed: The Truth About Life as a Prison Officer
by Ronnie Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Brave and to the point, 18 Feb. 2008
As a serving Officer I can confirm that this book is a great insight into the role of Prison Officers in the overcrowded Jails in society today. Ronnie makes no bones of his hate for 'bent screws' and self serving Governors. Some of the writing is a bit bravado, but on the whole this is a true reflection of a lot of Officers that I know. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in Prison life for the uniformed staff. It does come across as brutal in places but I'd say a true reflection. It also highlights a lot of what the public don't see. The roles that we have to take on every working day. Unseen by the public and under valued by the government. Good on you Ronnie