Profile for Keith Hawkins > Reviews

Content by Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins "keithyhawk" (Shropshire, England)

Life is a Four Letter Word, vol.2: Breaking Out
Life is a Four Letter Word, vol.2: Breaking Out
by Nicholas Monsarrat

4.0 out of 5 stars Monsarrat; gone but not forgotten, 1 Jun. 2012
"The Cruel Sea" has been a favourite book for me for decades. Its author Nicholas Monsarrat, born in my home city, officer in the same Navy as I was, and (as I now know after reading the two volumes of his autobiography) with many experiences parallel to my own, wrote a cracking book, in two parts, about himself. There is wry humour and there is cold, wet sea-time in the midst of war; affluence in South Africa, and all-but-penniless existence in dank rooms in pre-war England. These books are well written indeed, with a flair for language that is not often encountered. His views are sometimes strange to the modern eye because they were penned before the era of political correctness. But all through my reading I had in my mind the picture of the duffel-coated, bearded Naval officer on the bridge of his corvette in the North Atlantic, and I found myself wishing I had known him then.

Fallen
Fallen
Offered by Assai-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Not yet a classic, but on the way..., 15 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I bought this CD to replace an old one. It has, of course, some personal meaning, but the Evanescence sound and tunes are unforgettable. Buy the sheet music and look at the guitar chords - this is Irish folk dressed up in heavies for the 21st Century. So clever!

An Electronic Dutch Dictionary
An Electronic Dutch Dictionary

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 15 Mar. 2012
I am used to using foreign language dictionaries, and I found this one very uninspiring. The layout seemed poor, and the word definitions both thin and limited; I will be deleting this dictionary from my Kindle as soon as I can find a better one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2013 12:46 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle 3, 4 Sept. 2011
Brilliant! Fantastic! Love it! I hesitated a long time before buying an e-reader, but am so glad I waited for the new Kindle. It is just so convenient to carry around, and easy to use. I use it all the time, especially when travelling, and cannot fault it in any way.

The Life Science
The Life Science
by P. B. Medawar

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure, fascinating science, 17 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Life Science (Hardcover)
I bought Peter Medawar's book, "The Life Science", after reading Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" in which Dawkins referred several times to Medawar'a work. What I found was a concise, beautifully written explanation of the important parts of Biology. Medawar wrote to inform, yet hidden in his writing lie gems of wry scientific humour. What a refreshing and satisfying read! None of the jargon that we sometimes associate with modern writers about science, and no waffle either. If you want to know about Biology, and especially about human Biology, then you should read this book.

Strauss: Four last Songs / Wagner: Wesendonk Lieder / Berg: Sever early Songs
Strauss: Four last Songs / Wagner: Wesendonk Lieder / Berg: Sever early Songs
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest classical voices I have heard!, 5 Mar. 2010
I now possess three different recordings of Strauss' Four Last Songs, but this is, to my ears, the finest. Eaglen's voice soars effortlessly and smoothly to the high notes, and brings enormous depth and feeling to the low. Simply wonderful....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2013 8:09 AM GMT

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Richard Dawkins - what a communicator!!!, 25 Sept. 2009
Eminent scientists who can also communicate effectively and inspiringly are few and far between, but Richard Dawkins is one of them. "The Greatest Show On Earth" sets out the scientific evidence in favour of evolution in a clear, utterly convincing way, even for non-biologists like me. I read the book avidly, and reached the end disappointed that the journey was over. The writing I had met on the way was at once compelling and fascinating. Professor Dawkins explicitly did not aim this, his latest book on evolution, at creationists; but I finished it wondering just how any creationist is going to argue against the sheer weight of scientific evidence that now supports evolution as the mechanism by which our wonderful living world came to be as it is. This is by far my favourite book of 2009.

Dictionary
Dictionary
by Adrienne Penner

5.0 out of 5 stars Adrienne's Dictionary, 8 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Dictionary (Hardcover)
This is a dictionary that gets down to the nitty-gritty of language translation - if you want to know the exact equivalent of an English word in French, you'll find it here. The dictionary gives all the meanings for words: and also tells you what words don't mean (very important for translators), when it would be inadvisable to use words because of connotations, etc. False friends are listed, too, which is a useful feature. You have to be a serious user of languages to nake full use of this dictionary, but if you are then it's all but indispensible.