Profile for E. E. Hughes > Reviews

Content by E. E. Hughes

E. E. Hughes (Wiltshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Melissa & Doug Wooden Hi Rise Dollhouse
Melissa & Doug Wooden Hi Rise Dollhouse
Price: 69.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A really pleasant dollhouse, but the construction is a pain, 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This arrived well packaged, and when put together is a pleasing dollhouse with furniture and dolls included. Unfortunately the bit in the middle was very frustrating.

It took me just under two hours to put together. It would have been a lot easier and quicker if I had another person with me, as I really needed a second hand. I am no stranger to flat pack furniture, and this dollhouse is in the Ikea mold. The instructions were unfortunately badly written, with none of the Ikea simplicity. A few changes and it would have been a lot easier to follow.

All the parts are labelled with an easy peel sticker, which would have been useful, except two of the floors are red and they labelled the floors the wrong way around! I had to unscrew a lot of my work when it became apparent that it was the wrong floor!

At one point in the assembly you are required to slot the second front wall in, and make sure it lines up perfectly with the front door, lift, door mantel, base and roof. This was not easy to accomplish! Even with a second pair of hands it would not have been easy to achieve. An allen key is provided, but you will also need a screwdriver to align and mostly to hold the barrel nuts in place.

Overall this is a really pleasant dollhouse, but the construction was a pain.

Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking
Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking
by Tilly Walnes
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book for novices, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very pretty sewing book that guides you through some nice retro projects. This is a very good book for complete novices like me. There are a handful of base projects in this book that are made more numerous by the variations that are also provided. At the back of the book there is a pocket with all the patterns used.

I made myself the basic headscarf and found the instructions for the most part easy to follow. They are very detailed and written in an easy to follow way. There was a section where I couldn't follow it easily and it took me a while to work out what was meant, but it was a small section and the rest of the instructions for the scarf were nice and accessible.

There is a lot of useful information at the beginning of the book. In particular the pages describing how to set up the sewing machine were really useful.

Some of the writing sections between the patterns are a bit twee, but really it is the patterns where the writing style is important, and here it is clear and easy to follow.

This is a good book for beginners like me who want to make their own clothes, and have no idea what to do.

Sarah Beeny's 100 DIY Jobs
Sarah Beeny's 100 DIY Jobs
by Sarah Beeny
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A bog standard DIY bible, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having recently bought a house that needs a bit of DIY I decided I needed a quick reference book. This book by Sarah Beeny has guides for most household jobs, from how to adjust a loose toilet seat to how to tile a wall. There is nothing to make this book stand out from any other DIY bible, despite Sarah Beeny's name being attached to it. Ideally I would have liked more step by step photographs of each job; instead there are line drawings. I have found myself using online videos due to this.

This book offers a good starting point for any project you have in mind. For more detailed instructions you may need to look elsewhere.

Revell Control RC Micro Helicopter Spike with Gyro (Infrared)
Revell Control RC Micro Helicopter Spike with Gyro (Infrared)
Price: 22.50

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun little toy, but not for the easily frustrated, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The controls are simple enough (in principle). Getting it to turn and go forward is hard enough, but it just wants to keep going up as it moves forward, so you constantly need to keep adjusting the height.

It is probably the pilot and not the machine, but even so, you will need a big, high, empty room for any chance at a decent practice in the small amount of time that the batteries allow you. Unfortunately I don't have a barn at my disposal and spent most of my first go picking it up after it seemingly drifted into every object in the room and bounced off all the walls and ceiling.

If I believed that practice every day would have it obeying my commands, then I might summon the patience to master it - but I don't believe that it will ever do what I want no matter how long I try - I think I will stick to remote control cars.

Revellutions 1:14 Scale RC Camo Ranger SUV
Revellutions 1:14 Scale RC Camo Ranger SUV
Price: 73.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Great car; great brand, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second RC car from Revellutions. Bigger and sturdier than the Zulu Warrior this just as fun and fast. The Camo will go over anything. Occasionally it looses its wheels, but they slot back on with no problems.

You will need AA rechargeable batteries for the controller, but the built in car battery recharges in an hour and is easy to replace. Changing the plug adapter from the American two prong to the British three pin was the most difficult part of using this car, as it clips into the middle and not the top as you might expect.

A great fun car that I would recommend.

The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven: Book Two)
The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven: Book Two)
by Richard Ford
Price: 9.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book., 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I felt that the first book in the series was a bit rough around the edges, and showed promise. Unfortunately the things that niggled me in the first book were worse in the second. The main characters also acted contrary to how I expected them to behave, and not for the better. I found this book to be a bit of a disappointment, and a chore to finish. I will not be reading any more in this series.

Revellutions 1:14 Scale RC Zulu Warrior Buggy
Revellutions 1:14 Scale RC Zulu Warrior Buggy

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have man toy!, 3 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is great fun! I’m not one for reading the instructions, even with 40 minutes to spare while the batteries charge, so I liked that everything about was largely self-explanatory. The one exception was a switch on the back that allows you change the speed, which I didn't notice at first. I though it went pretty fast as it was, and was really pleased to find out that it could go even faster!

The car battery is easy to remove and snaps straight into the charger. The AA batteries are easy to install, although finding a screw driver small enough to remove the battery panel on the controller was a pain. The car is very responsive to the controls and the controller is easy to use.

To start the car did have a tendency to pull to one side as it was racing off into the distance, but I was able to adjust this on the controller, and it has gone straight since.

This is quite a sturdy car, and is capable of taking a few hard knocks. The wheels do tend to fall of though. They are really easy to pop back on, but after a while this does get a bit annoying.

A must have man (or woman) toy!

Revell Control RC Helicopter Big Glow
Revell Control RC Helicopter Big Glow
Price: 47.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 3 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is quite large and impressive looking; just opening the box brought a smile to my face. It was really easy enough to set up too. I have had a small RC helicopter before, which only worked if I started off holding it above my head, so I was prepared for disappointment. Instead I was pleasantly surprised.

The controls are sensitive and at first it is far too easy to be heavy handed with them, but after a bit of practice it becomes much easier. It is too big to use indoors but is also very susceptible to the slightest breeze outside, so you really need to use it on a calm day.

This is a very good machine (and very robust as it has not broken despite the number of times it has crashed). I hope that with practice I will be able to do it justice.

Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven: Book One)
Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven: Book One)
by Richard Ford
Price: 12.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A good page turner, 16 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book was a good page turner. I enjoyed reading about the characters. There are quite a few though, and they each have their own chapters. This meant that I was a good way into the book before any of the characters were reintroduced. There isn't anything new or groundbreaking, but then I don't require every book I read to be that. I will be reading the next volume in the series, as I want to know what happens to the characters next. Overall I would recommend this book.

Alpen Berries Trail Bar 48g x 3 (Pack of 11, 33 bars in total)
Alpen Berries Trail Bar 48g x 3 (Pack of 11, 33 bars in total)
Price: 16.30

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not special., 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are a lot of berries in this trail bar. They are very sweet too, which is a bit cloying after the first couple of bites. My partner likes to have trail bars when he goes out cycling. He found them okay, but not particularly filling. They are tasty enough, but not particularly moreish.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13