Profile for A. B. Ward > Reviews

The Office - Complete Series One & Two and The Christmas Specials [2001] [DVD]
The Office - Complete Series One & Two and The Christmas Specials [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais

5.0 out of 5 stars 14 episodes of perfection., 8 May 2014
14 episodes of perfection. The brilliant scripts are so marvellously acted. You will either love or hate David Brent, but he will draw you in and keep you watching from one cringe worthy moment to the next. Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchants writing is out of the top draw, the whole cast are brilliant and make their characters totally believable. A special mention has to go to the Tim and Dawn storyline, it's beautifully written as their relationship slowly simmers away in the background, for me this elevates the series onto another level.
Fantastic.

Laurel And Hardy: The Collection - Volume 2 [DVD]
Laurel And Hardy: The Collection - Volume 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elisha Cook Jr
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 28.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Stan and Ollie at 20TH Century Fox, 6 Jan 2014
Laurel and Hardy collection Vol 2

Here we have the second of the box sets featuring L&H 20th Century Fox films. As I mentioned in my review of Vol 1 I had put off watching these Fox films due to their poor reputation, but as with Vol 1 I was pleasantly surprised by them.

This set consists of 3 films The Dancing Masters, A Haunting We Will Go, and The Bullfighters. All 3 films come in their own individual cases with good artwork on the DVD covers.
I was impressed with the quality of the transfer to DVD on A Haunting We Will Go and The Bullfighters both had excellent picture and sound. For some reason the quality of the print used for The Dancing Masters was nowhere near up to the standard of the others but the sound was good.

A Haunting We Will Go
This is probably the weakest of the 3 films in this collection, Stan and Ollie get mixed up with gangsters and a magician whilst transporting a coffin across the country by train. This film is ok while L&H are on screen but 20th Century Foxes obsession with gangsters in L&H films is tedious, and the films drag when the dull gangsters are on screen. Stan and Ollie need a James Finlayson, Billy Gilbert or a Walter Long to pit their wits against.

The Dancing Masters
I enjoyed this film a lot despite their being no real plot, in fact the film seems to have been loosely botched together with no thought of a proper storyline. We see Stan and Ollie at the beginning in their dance studio where they encounter some gangsters (yawn) selling insurance, then their is a nice little scene in a auction room and next the boys help out an inventor with his ray gun and finally after Ollie's failed attempt to break Stan's leg (for the insurance) we see the boys take a roller coaster ride. I think my description of the film encapsulates the chaos of the story , but Stan & Ollie did have some good moments and it led to an enjoyable 60 odd minutes.

The Bullfighters
L&H last film for Fox and their last film made in the USA, they made only 1 more film together after this. So I think this was quite a fitting send off for probably the best comic duo ever. Stan and Ollie play 2 detectives who head off to Mexico City to catch a petty (pretty) thief. Only Stan bears a striking resemblance to a Spanish Matador who is supposed to be performing in town, in true L&H style one thing leads to another and Stan gets roped into a spot of bullfighting! I really enjoyed this film, Stan and Ollie had some great moments having a water fight with an innocent bystander and an excellent scene with some eggs and the thief Larceny Nell. Even the supporting cast in this one were better and showed enthusiasm.

These films are enjoyable in their own way, but try not to compare them to when L&H were at their brilliant best, if you do you will probably be disappointed.

Laurel & Hardy: The Knockabout 3 Film Collection [DVD] [1941]
Laurel & Hardy: The Knockabout 3 Film Collection [DVD] [1941]
Price: 3.66

2.0 out of 5 stars Same films repackaged., 6 Jan 2014
The same 3 films are available in the Laurel and Hardy box set volume 1 which currently sells at 8.68! At the moment when writing this review this new box set is selling at 14.99!
Getting to be a common occurrence repackaging L&H films, unless this is stuffed full of extras save some money and buy the original red box set, same films cheaper and better packaging.

Laurel & Hardy: Air Raid Wardens & Nothing But [DVD] [1945] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 5.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Films only for the Laurel & Hardy completists, 5 Jan 2014
This really is a tricky DVD release to rate. Firstly there is the elation of finding that what is supposedly a region 1 import does actually play on Uk region 2 players ( I played it on a PS3) and for a completist to get copies of the last 2 L&H films I needed was brilliant, but and it's a BIG BUT, does this alone warrant giving this DVD box set a 5 star rating? like a few other reviewers have. Or is it fair just to rate the 2 movies purely on their quality alone? Which in my opinion they would only be rated as 1 star films.

The actual DVD cover is nice, with good colourful artwork. The 2 films are on 1 DVD which saves a little shelf space. Both films transfer to DVD are excellent, picture and sound both top notch.

Air Raid Wardens 1943
In the first of L&H two films for MGM, Stan and Ollie are desperate to help their countries war effort, after being rejected by all the armed services they manage to become air raid wardens. Whilst on duty they encounter German saboteurs and become heroes by somehow foiling the saboteurs plot to blow up a local factory. This is one of Laurel & Hardy's worst films, not many laughs at all to be had and the supporting cast really are unconvincing especially the German saboteurs. A poor effort on the whole.

Nothing but Trouble 1944
The second MGM film fairs no better, it's actually worse. Stan and Ollie play a chef and butler who gain employment in a wealthy household, and get involved in a plot to assassinate a boy king. This really is a difficult watch, hardly any laughs, Stan and Ollie don't seem to be particularly interested and are just going through the motions. As for the boy king, I found him very irritating indeed.

Compared to Laurel& Hardy's films made at their peak these 2 MGM films are way below par, 1 star films, but the excellent transfer to DVD pushes my rating up to 2 stars and another star for finally getting these films in my collection.

So, it's all about opinions and all things considered I think a 3 star rating is fair but these films really are for the completists only.

Laurel And Hardy Box Set: Volume 1 [DVD]
Laurel And Hardy Box Set: Volume 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Oliver Hardy
Price: 8.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Stan and Ollie at 20th Century Fox, 4 Jan 2014
I put off watching these 20th century Fox Laurel & Hardys movies for many years due to their poor reputation, so when I finally decided to take a look at them I was reasonably surprised.
The set consists of 3 films Great Guns, Jitterbugs and The Big Noise, all the films are individually packaged with good artwork on the DVD covers.
I was impressed with the picture and sound quality of all 3 films, in fact quite a high standard considering they are approx 70 years old!

Great Guns
This was L&H first film for Fox and probably the weakest of the 3 in this set, briefly Stan and Ollie join the army to look after their hyperchondriac employer who has been drafted.

Jitterbugs
This was my favourite of the 3 and generally regarded as the best of the Fox films. Stan and Ollie play a two man travelling band who form an unlikely partnership with a likeable con man and a naive young singer (the lovely Vivian Blaine)This little partnership encounter fraudsters and con men, (a regular theme of these Fox films)

The Big Noise
Stan and Ollie play 2 hired detectives who are designated the task of transporting a prototype bomb to Washington, encountering (tedious dull) gangsters and con men on the way (oh for a James Finlayson or Walter Long)

All 3 films are ok additions to the L&H filmography and more than watchable, they just suffer when compared against the brilliant films L&H made at their peak

Flying Deuces [DVD]
Flying Deuces [DVD]
Offered by admediauk
Price: 2.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful transfer to DVD of The Flying Deuces, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Flying Deuces [DVD] (DVD)
WARNING This Elstree Hill Dvd is a disgrace. How a company can treat this film and it's customers so shabbily is beyond belief. The transfer to DVD is truly awful, the film crackles, spots appear and the film quality is so poor the blacks and greys tend to merge together into a blur. It totally spoilt my enjoyment of a good L&H film.
Avoid at all costs

Is there a decent copy of this film available on reg 2?

This review is purely based on the Elstree release, the movie itself would be a 4/5

Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Complete Brand New Series [DVD] [2002]
Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Complete Brand New Series [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Tim Healy
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I first thought., 1 Nov 2012
I decided to view my entire Auf Pet collection and was pleasantly surprised how good series 3 actually is, we find the lads approx 16 years older and a little wiser, all the original main cast are back minus the late Gary Holton (Wayne) who is cleverly replaced by his son Wyman (I did wonder why they could not have had Waynes child with Crista instead as this would have been a nice connection with the first series)The storyline is interesting and well acted Bill Nighy especially brilliant. The series is slightly more serious than the first two with more emphasis on drama then laughs but it works well, the boys are older, all have their problems and seeing the once unstoppable Bombers descent into old age and illness is handled superbly, a short scene in episode 4 with Bomber and Dennis is moving and well acted, as is Barrys tribute to Wayne when talking to Waynes son Wyman in episode 6. including the photo of the lads in Dussledorf in this scene was a great touch!

All in all a nice addition the the series, and a welcome relief after the disjointed disappointment of series 2.

FIFA 11 (PS3)
FIFA 11 (PS3)
Offered by IN THE JUNGLE LTD
Price: 3.79

2.0 out of 5 stars FIFA what happened? My experience......., 29 Dec 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 11 (PS3) (Video Game)
Its dec 2011 and I had not played a FIFA game since the 2007 edition which I loved,then I got into the COD series for a few years, but fed up with on line shooters I decided to try FIFA again plumping for the now cheap 2011 edition, firstly I only play football games in single player career mode (which was excellent in 2007, if not a little easy)so I started my career with Port Vale on semi-pro in Div 2 won the league comfortably but found creating goal scoring opportunities very difficult let alone scoring them, most of my games were low scoring turgid dull affairs with me trying to pass the ball about to create chances, but my passes were 9 times out of 10 intercepted, playing a through ball was a waste of time as the defenders always seemed to know where I was playing the ball, the AI defence were always on top never making mistakes, never fouling, always making perfect tackles. the worst lumbering center half always got the better of my supposedly 'quick' striker, but I mistakingly thought it was down to the quality of player I had at Port Vale so I got promoted and invested in the team moved up to professional (FIFA 2007 I played on legendary)Div 1 football was just the same after 30 odd games I am 3rd in the league but only scored 40 odd goals, every match is an ordeal, a grind, the AI defenders are brilliant,its just not fun to play, I am always giving away free kicks for nothing challenges yet I am never fouled, but always tackled when through on goal, in approx 100 games I have been awarded 1 penalty kick and the computer opponents have had a player sent off only once!The defence just never make mistakes even when hooking a leg around a striker through on goal. This is a real frustrating and annoying experience, its a game and should be fun, its way to far in favour of defence and keeping the scores low. A real poor attempt from a company who used to make a great football game, what happened?

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Offered by Shop4World
Price: 11.33

2.0 out of 5 stars Modern Warfare3 AKA Money Wasted3, 9 Nov 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
For starters I am not a Battlefield owner so have no hidden agenda, I previousley played World at War, Mod2, and Black Ops so a big COD player but oh dear Modern Warfare3 upon first impression is such a let down, bought it for the multi player ranked up to 15 so had a decent go, first impressions Graphics are worse than black ops, how can that happen? The gameplay is more or less the same as any other Call of Duty so its reliant on the maps to provide variation and interest, but what have they done here? All maps are much of a muchness compared to Mod2 maps which had Afghan, Favelas, Wasteland ,Terminal, Highrise, Skidrow ,Rundown etc etc and Black Ops which maps included Firing Range, Summit, NukeTown, Jungle,Crisis ,Launch ,WMD etc all hugely different maps which can be easily distinguished and needed players to adopt different playing styles and use different weapons to succeed, the maps on MOD3 all seem to look and play the same I cannot say I dislike or like any of them because they are not different enough,boring in other words, all in all very lazy from the game producers.

When I buy a new game i expect not to put it down, but I played in the afternoon and did not bother going on in the evening, It did not grab me and feel exciting to play.

For me this is really a step backwards for Call of Duty and the game producers must be laughing all the way to the bank, all at the expense of loyal COD players.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2011 11:02 AM GMT

Couples Retreat [DVD]
Couples Retreat [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vince Vaughn
Price: 2.72

2.0 out of 5 stars Comedy? Dont make me laugh!, 27 Feb 2010
This review is from: Couples Retreat [DVD] (DVD)
Oh dear what a waste of a friday evening spent watching this film, just under 2 hours of dullness and no laughs, I thought it was supposed to be a comedy.

It ony escapes the 1 star rating from me because, 1, I did not switch the film off, and 2, The reason I did not switch the film off was because my wife seemed to be enjoying it a little more than me (I thought I saw her laugh once) maybe it totally misses my sense of humour but it was oh so boring, 4 couples go off to an island for a week of relationship therapy and learn that there relationships are not all what they seem.

Unfortunately,I am beginning to liken Vince Vaughn to Adam Sandler, he is becoming one of those actors whose name in the cast list means its not going to be a great film.

Definately one to miss.