Profile for KJ > Reviews

Instructions for a Heatwave
Instructions for a Heatwave
by Maggie O'Farrell

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and disappointing, 11 Oct 2013
This was recommended by Richard and Judy's book club so I thought this will be a good read. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Nothing really happened. Nothing was said. A very boring book which was hard to get involved with. The storylines were very weak with no substance. The characters were very difficult to get to know. Each time I picked the book up I had to go back 2 - 3 pages to try and pick up the story again.

The book title was misleading. Apart from the odd mention of the heat,what was the significance of it being set in the heatwave of 1976 and what were the "Instructions"? It could have been set in any time period.

As for the abrupt ending.....what a cop out!!!

Reading it was a hard slog but I was determined to get through it.

Sadly, not sure if I can be tempted by Maggie O'Farrell again.

Clover's Child (No Greater Love Book 3)
Clover's Child (No Greater Love Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Storytelling, 28 July 2013
This is the second Amanda Prowse novel I've read and I didn't think she could top "What Have I Done?" What an amazing story Clover's Child is!! I was gripped from the start and read the whole book in one sitting. Such an emotional read from feelings of anger and dismay to tears of joy. Thank goodness times and attitudes towards the Clovers of this world have changed since the 1960s. 5 star storytelling. Amazing book!!