ARRAY(0xa5387564)

Profile for Mad About Books > Reviews

Content by Mad About Books

Mad About Books "Sally" (Alaska)

Page: 1 | 2
The Beyondness of Things
The Beyondness of Things
Price: 10.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer spine tingling magic, 20 May 2013
I first heard the title track of The Beyondness of Things on Classic FM a long time ago and bought the album on the strength of that one track because I just knew the rest of it would be classic magic Barry. Have only just got around to writing a review which is remiss of me because I've been a fan for so many years. It is so sad that he is gone. But what a legacy to leave behind. Five stars just isn't high enough!

Lewis - Series 7 [DVD]
Lewis - Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Whately
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars TV without Lewis and Hathaway? Unthinkable!, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
So much of TV acting these days is utter rubbish and so little of it is wonderful quality. Kevin Whately and Lawrence Fox as Lewis and Hathaway give us the latter. Fantastic, the two of them will be sorely missed.

Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost [DVD] [2011] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost [DVD] [2011] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Please make available in European format, 23 Jun 2012
We love all the Jesse Stone films that we have seen so far and I'd give them all 5 stars but Thin Ice, Innocents Lost and No Remorse remain elusive because they are only viewable in NTSC. Wish someone in the United States would realise that there are people living in the UK and Europe who would like to buy and view these movies. Why make the first four available but not the last three. Doesn't make sense to me. Tried to write to the production company but nobody replied.

May 2013: Since posting this review I have managed to record the above three films onto Dvd from the television so now have the complete set including the chilling Stone Cold. Looking forward to the next film from the Selleck locker.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2013 7:10 PM BST

Jesse Stone: No Remorse [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Jesse Stone: No Remorse [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars European format please, 23 Sep 2011
When will this DVD be available in European format? I have collected all but two in the series of Jesse Stone movies and am frustrated at not being able to see the two that remain stubbornly in NTSC. If anyone can help with information on this, please comment on my review. thanks. On the basis of all the other Tom Selleck/Jesse Stone stories I've seen which have been beautifully filmed and most excellently acted, I'll give this one 5 stars anyway.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2012 10:46 AM BST

The Forest
The Forest
by Edward Rutherfurd
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Edward Rutherfurd, not disappointed, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Forest (Paperback)
Lent to me in paperback by a fellow bookworm, I loved this book from the first minute. I can't believe one person has so much creativity. Rutherford is an impressive and incredibly talented story teller but I also love the way he weaves his characters into real history. Now I want the whole set and as many as possible on Kindle please. Definitely 5 stars.

Lip Care Stick 4.9g/0.16oz
Lip Care Stick 4.9g/0.16oz
Offered by COCON DES SENS
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best lip salve, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: Lip Care Stick 4.9g/0.16oz (Misc.)
Dr.Hauschka Lip care stick SPF 3 4.9gr
I must have used a ton of different brands of lip salve/gloss over the years but this is definitely the best I have ever had. A great clear gloss but also nourishing for dry chapped lips and as an undercoat for lipstick. Have just ordered 2 more. Always carry one in handbag and have one at home.

Jesse Stone: Death In Paradise [DVD] [2007]

Jesse Stone: Sea Change [DVD] [2009]
Jesse Stone: Sea Change [DVD] [2009]
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality that deserves a wider audience, 6 Feb 2011
What a treat for the senses the Jesse Stone films are. Does Tom Selleck know what a fantastic actor he is? As a family, we are tired, literally, of the style of editing in so many movies, half second cuts, flashing and flicking so fast it makes your headache. And so much background noise and straining to hear garbled mumbled speech. We're neither old nor deaf but it's still exhausting. The Jesse Stone series so far has been a delight. Quality all the way in every movie. If you appreciate fantastic photography (top marks to the lighting camera crew), excellent script, clear direction and really really good acting from every cast member, then try these. We have Night Passage, Stone Cold, Death In Paradise and Sea Change and are waiting now for the later two, Thin Ice and No Remorse to become available in UK format. If we could award 10 stars we would do so.

Crazy Love
Crazy Love
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 7.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough superlatives available!, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Crazy Love (Audio CD)
Probably the most exciting CD I have ever owned but then I am an unashamed Buble fan. Certainly the best arrangement of Cry Me A River ON THE PLANET !! A classy illustration of how to produce BEAUTIFUL SONGS and REAL music with REAL musicians. Michael Buble has been hailed many times as the new Sinatra but am I the only one who hears a touch of Bobby Darin in there too? I think this album would appeal not only to fans of big band, Billy May, Nelson Riddle, Ted Heath, Tommy Dorsey and their irreplaceable ilk but also to those who have been brought up in an era of plastic pop, samey can't-hold-a-tune voices and endlessly repetitive and boring lyrics, and would like to hear how it should be done. 10 stars!

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000: wireless keyboard , mouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000: wireless keyboard , mouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Space bar is no soft touch, 7 Nov 2010
Very very disappointed. No, I'm gutted. I bought this keyboard because the blurb said it would `encourage a more natural hand, wrist, and forearm posture' and that it makes `time on the computer more comfortable and more productive'. Although it doesn't make any claims, all the advertising and the ergonomic design suggests that this is a keyboard which would help people with RSI to work more comfortably. The word 'soft touch' appears quite often, again giving the impression that the keyboard is easier to use than standard ones. The only soft touch about it is the very nice wrist rest - and me, I was dull for buying it by mail order without trying one first. Happy enough to get used to the very different layout, what I wasn't prepared for was that the keys are no softer than any others but the worst part is the space bar. Probably fine for one finger typists but if you're touch typist already suffering wrist or hand pain from overuse of the keyboard, beware. The space bar, although slightly less resistant in the centre of the bar, doesn't depress fully at the left or right edge (which is the natural position used by a touch typist) unless you apply serious pressure from the thumb. With touch typing, the thumb doesn't land naturally in the centre unless you stretch. So there I am typing away and realise that half the words have no spaces. I tried for 4 days but ended up with worse RSI pain than ever before. So gave up. Now I am stuck with an expensive keyboard that I can't use. Answer: save up again, try before buying and don't be sucked in by the advertising.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2010 1:17 PM GMT