Profile for Stig2210 > Reviews

Absolution
Absolution
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good listen, 3 Dec 2004
This review is from: Absolution (Audio CD)
I bought Absolution after hearing "Time is Running Out", and that was the first time I had the guts to buy any Muse albums. Before actually forcing myself to listen to Absolution, I thought that the band were bonkers - "Plug in Baby" having been the only real track I had heard - as there music wasn't really my type. The high-pitched vocals of Matthew Bellamy mixed with the driving bass-lines and solid drum-beats didn't appeal to me at first, but Absolution grew on me until it was never out of the CD player. Tracks like Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome and Butterflies and Hurricanes encourage you to bounce about, yet tracks like Sing For Absolution, Falling and Butterflies and Hurricanes again, make you sing till your voice can't. It is only now I have starting getting the previous albums - Origin of...- but I'm glad to have had my eyes well and truly opened. This album is cracking yet does have its flaws, I never really took to a couple of songs in the latter stages of the album, but on the whole a hearty dose of rock mixed with classical piano, with the haunting and sometimes frightening vocals of Bellamy.

Urban Hymns
Urban Hymns
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those "must have" albums., 25 April 2003
This review is from: Urban Hymns (Audio CD)
Urban Hymns is one of those albums that is always a pleaseure to listen to. I myself had never even heard of The Verve until Bittersweet Symphony was released in the spring of '97, but that track alone offered a glimpe of the distinctive vocals of Richard Ashcroft, and I was sold. To be honest, when I listened to the album at first, only 3 tracks really stood out - Bittersweet Symphony, Lucky Man and The Drugs Don't Work. But listen again and you then appreciate the haunting vocals of Velvet Morning and Sonnet, and the brash, bullying sound of Come On. This album is a fine mixture of slow melodic, chill-out tracks and infectous lyrics that you can't avoid singing. I would certainly advise that you own this album, as it can lift you up when you need it, and console you when nothing else will. A must have.