Profile for Mr. Peter A. Gilligan > Reviews

Content by Mr. Peter A. G...

Mr. Peter A. Gilligan

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC DVD)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite game of 2014 so far., 21 Jun 2014
I enjoyed the blend of fashioned - Doom, Quake - style FPS and more modern story driven RPS. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but it worked well for me. Its been called a 'Marmite' game but I do enjoy my Marmite.

The variety of weapons and mission types allow a variety of styles of play from stealth to to just blast everything in sight.

The story line and plot engaged me thoroughly. Your companions are credible and engaging. I really cared about them. The alternate future is beautifully realised and the graphics gorgeous.

For me there were no cons and I look forward to replaying this game soon. I shall deliberately choose the alternative timeline the second time around to see what difference it makes.

I have been happily recommending and enthusing about Wolfenstein: The New Order to anyone and everyone since I started playing.

Ready Player One
Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoying geek romp, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Ready Player One (Paperback)
Like many other reviewers and readers I also was sucked into this book and was sorry when it ended. Full of references to the 80s pop and geek culture. If the 80s was a foundation era for you I expect you will enjoy it too.

John Dies at the End
John Dies at the End
by David Wong

1.0 out of 5 stars Even the title is wrong, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Paperback)
I bought this based on the many positive reviews that it received. Having just finished it I can only say that it was a howling disappointment - and as a committed book addict that is something I rarely find myself saying. I actually wonder if some of the reviewers actually read it all the way through to the end.

It starts well enough and indeed it did on occasion make me laugh. But as the pages turned it became weaker and weaker and weaker. It didn't so much end with a whimper as just fade meaninglessly to grey as if the initial energy of the author finally just died.

I feel utterly cheated by this book. It is certainly the worst book I have ever bought from Amazon. And I have to confess to having bought some turkeys. If I could go back in time and delete my purchase I would.

LEGO Technic 9391: Tracked Crane
LEGO Technic 9391: Tracked Crane

4.0 out of 5 stars Birthday gift for a boy, son of an engineer, 29 Oct 2012
This boy is already the possessor of an impressive amount of lego. He received several other lego boxes for his bithday so mine, while duly recognised and appreciated - he currently going through a love affair with cranes, did not actually get played with when I was with him. Certainly no complaints have been received.

Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew
Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew
by Bart D. Ehrman

4.0 out of 5 stars Good historical overview, 30 May 2012
I enjoyed this book a lot. It clearly demonstrates the complete arbitrariness of the construction of the dominant Christian Bible. It also demonstrates unequivocally the Christianity has always been fractured into a multitude of competing cults and sects and that the Protestant Reformation can hardly take the credit for such fractionation and factionalism. Such appears to have always been an innate feature of Christianites.

In fact Christianity has never been the monolithic orthodoxy that it pretends.

The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
by Neal Stephenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing result of collaboration, 30 May 2012
This book is the result of an online collaboration. Theoretically collaborative efforts should be more error free than single agent products. Disappointingly for me the errors in the Mongoliad regularly intruded into the willing suspension of disbelief that I am well practised in when reading fantasy.

The premise and the alternative historical narrative is both interesting and creative. However the frequent discussions of the art and practice of archery, unsurprising and indeed expected in a novel containing the Mongols as a major force, contain regular and repeated errors. Firstly the characters regularly "fire" arrows. This is impossible. Combustion is not a feature of the projection of an arrow. The process is entirely mechanical. Arrows are *shot* generically. They can also be 'released' or 'loosed'. They may be 'fired' occasionally *before* they are shot in the case of fire arrows but the ignition of the arrow and its projection are two separate processes.

Even more importantly the technique of Mongol archery is wrong. East of the Bosphorus the thumb lock is the standard technique for grasping the string to draw the bow. West of the Bosphorus the finger lock dominates, using most commonly two or three fingers. Mongol archers to this day exclusively use the thumb lock and most certainly used this lock in the period of the novel. Yet in the novel a Mongol character teaches the finger lock in an archery lesson with another character. This is beyond any suspension of disbelief. This is a gratuitous and egregious error.

I anticipated reading this novel with enthusiasm as I was aware of the internet buzz surrounding the project. I have become inured to the regular "firing" of arrows in contemporary writing but I had hoped that the collaborative nature of this project might have trapped this common mistake. The failure to appreciate the monopoly of the thumb lock amongst Mongol archers is inexcusable given the ostensible benefit of collaboration.

I was interested and mildly entertained by the premise of this book. It's poor execution severely blunted my experience of reading it. I would probably read the sequels if they come my way but I have no intention of buying them.

AND1 Men's Tai Chi Mid Trainer
AND1 Men's Tai Chi Mid Trainer

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely unsuitable, 15 Feb 2011
I realise that the naming of products may have more to do with attempts to encourage sales. In this case calling this design "Men's Tai Chi Mid Trainer" is completely inappropriate. The design is entirely unsuitable for the practice of Tai Chi. I have been a professional Tai Chi teacher and student for over 30 years and as such I am frequently asked about suitable foot ware. Tai Chi footware should be flat soled. Preferably with a thin sole. Suitable shoes may best described as similar to Tennis shoes, Deck shoes or Skateboarding shoes. None of which have the artificial arch support featured in this design.

Name not withstanding, do not buy these shoes to use for the practice of Tai Chi
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2011 4:58 PM GMT

Woken Furies (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Woken Furies (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to Origin, 8 May 2010
The first Richard Morgan book I ever read was Broken Angels and I was completely blown away. The lead character Tadeshi Kovacs his milieu and back story created a cyberpunk thriller such as I had never read before.

I then went on a hunt for anything by Mr Morgan. I read Black Man and then realised that there was an earlier book about Tadeshi Kovacs - Altered Carbon - which was more by way of an origin story but still with the irresistible, at least to me, roller coaster mix of thriller and cyberpunk.

This book which may, or may not, be a conclusion of sorts to the loose trilogy of the adventures of the magnificent Tadeshi Kovacs. Bring our hero home once more to the planet of his birth and it's unique political heritage.

If you like thoughtful, politically provocative, cyberpunk thrillers. then this is certainly a book for you.

To try and sum it up think anarchosyndicalist, Chris Ryan hard man, cyberpunk thriller and you'll kind of get the idea.

Loads of fun and thought provoking too at both the technological and political levels. Oh and lots of big bangs and grunt grimy too

Market Forces (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Market Forces (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of my favourites from Richard Morgan, 8 May 2010
Much as I like Richard Morgan's work in general - Tadeshi Kovacs trilogy and Black Man which I thought great, verging on genius - somehow Market Forces just didn't quite work for me.

Perhaps because of having read Harlan Ellison's short story on the topic of 'Road Rage' the idea seemed somewhat stale. Admittedly Ellison's short offering left a lot of room to develop a back story which is what Morgan sets out to do in this novel. The world he described as the context in which formalised Road Duels become socially acceptable just some how didn't quite hang together for me. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was. Sadly after having read - devoured - all his other work, this just fell flat for me.

Still as they say; "You can't please all the people all the time" I am still a big fan of Richard Morgan's work and would strongly recommend his books. But I certainly would rate this offering as just an also ran.