Profile for julian.roberts@ntl.com > Reviews

Content by julian.roberts...

julian.roberts@ntl.com (West London)

Chocolate and Cheese
Chocolate and Cheese

5.0 out of 5 stars An album so varied and bizarre you have to love it., 5 Aug 2000
This review is from: Chocolate and Cheese (Audio CD)
This is the first Ween album I bought, and it's still my favorite after buying four more. It doesn't fit into a catagory of musical styles - I mean you can't think "I feel like listening to something mellow/heavy/dancy, I'll play Chocolate & Cheese", because this album sways so randomly from one musical style to the next. Songs of completely different moods are juxtaposed together to create as jarring an effect as possible. They're all good, though - some fast, some bluesey, some grungey, some wonderfully downright odd, and some completely mental (only Ween could write a song called 'Spinal Meningitis Got Me Down'), but they're all, just, kinda, 'good'. The album finishes and leaves you thinking "What the hell was that all about! " It's very refreshing. The band seem to be enjoying just doing what they want to do, instead of trying so hard to be a success. Maybe that's why I like them so much. I recommend it highly. Buy it.