Profile for Mr. A. Lee > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Lee

Mr. A. Lee

Page: 1 | 2
Salveo Clickable Reusable Pocket Heat Pad (pack of 2)
Salveo Clickable Reusable Pocket Heat Pad (pack of 2)
Offered by Salveo Wellness
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little product - suits mitts rather than gloves, 22 Jan 2013
Fantastic in terms of re-usability, chuck them in a pan of boiling water, allow them to cool, ready. Gives about 30 mins of warmth. If you are buying these to keep your hands warm, best to use them with a pair of mitts rather than gloves - with gloves the warmth does not really get to your finger-tips. Sounds obvious I know!

Crabtree 4520/31 Cooker Control Unit with neon indicators (LARGER PLATE SIZE)
Crabtree 4520/31 Cooker Control Unit with neon indicators (LARGER PLATE SIZE)
Offered by MCD Electrical - Established 1993
Price: 22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid product, 22 Jan 2013
I'm no electrician, but this appears to be a good solid product, I managed to fit it with no problems, the instructions were clear and the build quality to my untrained eye seems excellent.

FoneM8 - 6 PACK Kindle Fire HD 7" Screen protector For 16GB 32GB - Retail Packed Includes Microfibre Cleaning Cloth And Application Card
Offered by FoneM8store
Price: 2.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent product - let down by difficulties in fitting it, 22 Jan 2013
There is a knack to fitting this product properly - I find it very difficult to do without trapping air bubbles. The tiniest bit of dust leaves an air bubble trapped, and you cannot push that air bubble out fully. I find that even when I clean the screen thoroughly, bits of dust find their way onto the screen whilst fitting, leaving one or two small air bubbles. I know I'm not the only one who faces this annoying problem. There is a way around this - fit it in the bathroom after a hot shower has run - no floating dust particles! The product came with no fitting instructions, and like a lot of people I wasted most of the 6-pack trying to get a perfect fit.

Onkyo HT-X22HDX 3D Ready Ultra Compact 2.1 Home Cinema System
Onkyo HT-X22HDX 3D Ready Ultra Compact 2.1 Home Cinema System
Offered by Nottingham HiFi Centre
Price: 249.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo HT-X22HDX - from poor sound to great sound in a flash, 8 Nov 2011
Like a lot of people I guess, I had a great tv, blu-ray player, blu-ray collection etc. but had never made the leap to 'home cinema' - the cost for a decent system sounded high, and I couldn't be bothered with the extra cables for rear speakers. Then I came across reviews for this product and thought yes, that's the one.
Easy to set up, clearly a good quality product, and BAM - massive improvement in sound quality (for normal TV as well as movies), even with the 2.1 setup.
Afer a week or two, I couldn't resist - bought the extra Onkyo 3 speaker set and some D-LINK cable trunking, plus the Onkyo iPod dock. Now have a fantastic setup, the sound for TV, DVDs, Bluray and music is great, money well spent, has taken the whole viewing experience to a new level.
As per some other reviews - the cooling fan is slightly audible when there is a lull in noise from whatever was being watched. I switched the sub-wooofer to be a little further away and fine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2011 4:46 PM GMT

The Sopranos - HBO Complete Season 1-6 (New Packaging) [DVD] [2007]
The Sopranos - HBO Complete Season 1-6 (New Packaging) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ James Gandolfini
Offered by RAREWAVES
Price: 73.93

5.0 out of 5 stars "I've been charmed by a sociopath", 15 Mar 2010
...me and Dr Melfi both.
Tony Soprano - on paper, a real scumbag - gangster, murderer, serial adulterer, you name it, he's pretty much done it. And yet, we love the guy. He is the ultimate anti-hero, a bad guy in so many ways but...strong, principled, and at heart a family man trying his best for his family and friends in difficult (well, impossible) times.
I think other (better!) reviewers have hit the nail on the head - its the characters in this series that realy make it stand out. Yes, its got great stories, the script is no doubt fantastic, it oozes black humour, action, sex, all the usual ingredients, but Tony, Junior, Christopher, Carmela, Paulie, Sil, Dr Melfi etc. - its these characters that really make the series GREAT. For me, it is the benchmark, and nothing I have yet seen comes close (though I have yet to see much of The Wire...!).
Just in the middle of watching the whole series for the second time, and its just as good this time. In fact, in some ways its better - I am more tuned into the humour and am actually laughing out load at least once an episode. Five star, five star, five star!

An Appeal to Reason: A Cool Look at Global Warming
An Appeal to Reason: A Cool Look at Global Warming
by Nigel Lawson
Price: 5.78

4.0 out of 5 stars A good helping of common sense..., 15 Mar 2010
Nice and short, keeps to the point, a really good read for anyone (like me) wanting to get to grips with the growing scepticism regarding global warming.
He doesn't pretend to be a climate expert, and instead sticks to what he knows - economics and politics. Basically concludes that even if the dodgy forecasts are right and temperatures are going to rise, the current policies being championed by the EU (and in particular the UK) are completely barmy.
Buy this book, read it, and then get even angrier with our politicians! You end up wondering what happened to good old-fashioned common sense...and hoping that we'll see some sensible policies emerge in the next year or two.

In the Shadow of Papillon: Seven Years of Hell in Venezuela's Prison System
In the Shadow of Papillon: Seven Years of Hell in Venezuela's Prison System
by Frank Kane
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent read..., 2 Mar 2010
Pretty vivid account of life in the hellish prisons of Venezuela, a decent read overall.
What this lacked was emotion - I never really got to know Frank Kane and what he was feeling, and so in the end I didn't really empathise with him. He was/is obviously a really tough chap, and went through almost unbelievable experiences, but the account didn't really get under his skin, into his mind. What was he feeling, where was the fear, the terror, the eventual joy of release...facts, events, detail, great, but if you want something a notch above try 'The Long Walk', 'Man is Wolf To Man', or even of course 'Papillon' itself.

Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Price: 1.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly...mesmerising, 1 Mar 2010
Bought this on a whim because I like Bill Murray, not the sort of film I'd go for normally, watched it on my own not really knowing what to expect...and was, well, mesmerised by it.
Very simple plot, nothing exciting occurs, some humour but nothing that you would call hilarious, and the ending is hardly a happy one - and yet it was unforgettable. Those characters, and the dreamlike few days they send together, just draw you in. Poignant, funny, thought-provoking. In my top ten, enough said.

Bronson [DVD]
Bronson [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt King
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.72

1.0 out of 5 stars This movie is like Marmite..., 1 Mar 2010
This review is from: Bronson [DVD] (DVD)
Love it or hate it...I fall in the latter category.
After about half an hour, I switched off and picked out another movie. Pretentious garbage, felt like a very poor relation of Clockwork Orange.
Not for me, but then I'm not keen on Marmite either.

The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
by John Christopher
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars That green stuff in your garden...it's priceless, 26 Feb 2010
Simple idea, great book.
That green stuff that we take for granted, what would happen if it all died, its only grass after all...
Refreshingly short, to-the-point, and really effective in the way it explores how modern society is pretty fragile compared to Mother Nature. With all the hype about global warming (I'm still sat on the fence), its a timely reminder of what we could be facing should the doomsters be right.
For me, not quite a five-star as it didn't quite deliver the emotional impact I expected from a 'classic', but still a memorable read.

Page: 1 | 2