Profile for boosmith > Reviews

Content by boosmith

boosmith

Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

5.0 out of 5 stars I worried about the number of pixels.. I shouldn't have, 14 Aug 2013
I previously owned a D700 and was concerned that the massive pixel count and slightly slower frame rate might make it unsuitable. I was wrong. It's a fantastic camera. I haven't found any issues really with the large file sizes, just use a USB 3.0 card reader and you'll be fine.

Only concern for me is that the matrix metering doesn't seem as telepathic as the D700 and my D3, it tends to underexpose in my experience, but maybe it is designed this way to maximise the dynamic range, as you can pull up the shadows in post with litle ill effects.

This is a true upgrade from the D700 and I don't regret buying it for a moment.

Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 Digital Camera (20.2MP, 3.6x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 Digital Camera (20.2MP, 3.6x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Offered by Great Western Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant camera but... major dust problems, 10 Aug 2013
I've had my camera for a week now, and absolutely love it. I had been planning to use it as my walk around, as obviously my NIkon FX cameras are too heavy for this. However, and it is a big however, today I noticed dust on the sensor. There's no way of getting it off without returning it for repair and I suspect it would just happen again. I think it is probably sucked in through the collapsing lens opening and closing. A quick Google reveals I am not the only one with this problem.

It is with great reluctance that I am going to return this camera for a refund. I don't want to have to be doing spot removal on photos and it is likely the dust would only increase, so I am going to have to look for a different model.

It's a shame because I thought I had found the camera that would act as a decent walkaround lens with performance to compete with crop sensor DSLRs

Edited 14th August

Having shopped around - again - I can't find a suitable alternative and it seems the RX100 is by no means the only compact camera likely to have sensor dust issues. So I have ordered a brand new one.. and given the camera 5 stars. :-)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2013 9:54 PM BST

Computer World
Computer World

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest albums of all time ruined by shocking mastering..., 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: Computer World (Audio CD)
Computer World by Kraftwerk is one of the best albums of all time. The original version had a gorgeous 3D sound with deep bass extension on a half decent hifi and fantastic deep mixes with masses of space around the sounds. Pocket Calculator in particular was ground breaking in this respect.

However, what Ralf Hutter has done here is a real dumbing down to the iPod generation. As other reviewers have said, the sound is now compressed, the bass EQ way too high, and the outstanding detail and subtlety completely ruined.

Sounds I could hear 20 years ago on my Sony Walkman cassette recording of the vinyl lp are now completely obliterated by the booming bass track.

There are also some horrendous errors on Computer Love with the EQ lurchign across teh sound field.

I'm sending this back (if I can) and sticking to the original mastering which may not be as loud but at least can be listened to on a decent system and preserves the very subtleties that make this such a fantastic album.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 10:09 AM GMT

The Future of Management (Book Summary)
The Future of Management (Book Summary)

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, this is not the full text, 7 Sep 2011
This isn't the full text but a pricey small collection of excerpts. Don't get caught out like I did. Not sure how much the full version is