Profile for mr mihai r cucos > Reviews

Content by mr mihai r cucos

mr mihai r cucos (london United Kingdom)

tauhid
tauhid

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanders and Sharrock - an amazing pairing, 20 Dec 2002
This review is from: tauhid (Audio CD)
Just to add to what had already been said, I think it is important to mention that guitarist Sonny Sharrock features heavily on this album, and gives it a whole other dimension. I came to this album via freaked out rock (Sonic Youth) but I had already found Coltrane's Ascension disappointing. Ascension is a great statement, but how often do you actually reach for it to listen to it? It is simply too psychotic to be a good record. But Tauhid is simply beautiful, Sanders sax is so soulful and melodic it will indeed lead you to weep. Great tenderness but also violently emotional. The tunes themselves are wonderful, joyful, absolutely momentous. This is Pharoah Sanders' "A Love Supreme", where his expression finds the epic tunes it needs. Sonny Sharrock's guitar is a bit like the kind of mental drone sound you would find in the Velvet Underground. It is the best example of truly free guitar playing I ever heard. I devoted 3 years of my life to trying to play like this after I heard it... It is jazzier than SY or VU, yet a bit noisy. What a unique album...