Profile for D. Eves > Reviews

Content by D. Eves

D. Eves "davideves"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
TeckNet® Universal BLUETEK™ 24W 5V 4.8A 4 USB Port UK Wall Plug AC Power Adapter Charger for Apple iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy Tab/Mobilbe Phone, MP3, PDA, Digital Camera and many other devices - White
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 29 Sep 2014
Have bought a number of different chargers over the years. Some failed to work after a short while and some were left plugged in hotel rooms so gone forever. This charger is great value, solid, reliable, ergonomic and perfect for travelling in the UK and anywhere in Europe that uses a 2-pin. Works fine in a shaving socket though 4 devices might be pushing it. 2 x 1A and 2 x 2.1A. Will charge 4 devices (iPhones and iPads, camera, GPS, cycle lights etc. at the same time.

Tuff-Luv Faux Leather Cover Case and Belt Clip with Screen Protector for Sony Walkman NWZ-E585 - Black
Offered by Tuff-Luv

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, 30 May 2014
Fits perfectly and like other reviews you are required to make a small cut to allow access to the hold button. Otherwise excellent fit

NOKIA 105 CAYAN BLUE/BLACK SIMFREE GSM UNLOCKED TORCH RADIO EASY TO USE BASIC LONG BATTARY DUST & SPLASH PROOF
Offered by Technomobiles

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what I need, 23 May 2014
This isn't my main phone for daily use which is an iPhone 4S. I bought this phone plus a Giffgaff sim card with PAYG as a phone I can use in specific situations. Those situations are holidays, cycle trips, festivals etc. In fact anywhere I don't want email and all the other stuff that fills my daily life from a phone that drains of power even if you switch off every power guzzling app as they appear to restart themselves for reasons beyond me. I recently did a 3-week cycle trip so needed to take the iPhone charger but because I was wild camping I took along a battery booster for those days where I was away from a power source. This just added to the weight so this purchase is a direct consequence of deciding that there are times less is significantly more. Last year I was at the T in the Park a music festival and it seemed a good many people spent much of their time worrying over phone battery time. How about this phone for those very occasions? Facebook can wait people! 28 day minimum battery time seems pretty good to me and the phone can be lost at almost no cost. The phone works fine and in fact works a whole lot better than an iPhone with regards the basic need of making a call and holding a conversation without the need to redial 2-3 times. It is extremely light and is comfortable in my pocket so it scores on so many points. Follow up: just finished a cycle trip where all I took was this phone, no cable, chargers etc. and all fine. In fact Giffgaff has a great signal as it's O2. I did buy a spare battery from Amazon for £5 but didn't need it. Did the same for the camera and no problem there either.

Sony NWZE585 16GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Black
Sony NWZE585 16GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Black
Offered by K.K. Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over iPod!, 20 May 2014
I had an early Sony Walkman tape player and years later bought the original iPod when it first came out. I bought this Walkman as I was looking for a way of listening to music on something that wouldn't need to be recharged every few hours. A while ago I bought a 64gb iPhone 4S which does the job but the battery isn't great even though I have had the battery recently replaced and have as much background stuff switched off. I am just back from a 3-week cycle trip and felt there must be a music player that has a better battery life and here it is. Buying this has allowed me to transfer a pile of music files from iTunes indirectly to the Walkman (download provided software called Media Go. You then have both Media Go and iTunes open side by side as windows. Drag music files cross to Media Go). This has a battery life that would easily exceed the occasions I would have listened over 3 weeks on a single charge. But the bonus is the sound quality. No matter what I do to the same music file the sound from an iPod or iPhone through the same headphones are vastly inferior to the music from the Walkman. Yes it has a few downsides such as it requires a direct connection to add music or podcasts but the sound, battery time, overall size outweigh the iPhone. It is time for Apple to wake up as Sony is back in town. Apple has sat on its laurels assuming everyone would naturally migrate from an iPod to iPhone which will then allow iTunes to dominate but not everyone wants this arrangement. Some of us wish to manage OUR music OURselves. Last time I updated my iPhone my music library disappeared to be replaced by music I had bought from iTunes only. Enough ranting. The Sony Walkman is a better music player and I'll shut up.

Field Day Rituals
Field Day Rituals

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Field Day Rituals (Audio CD)
The music doesn't reach out and grab you first time around but play it often enough and the ambient sound begins to take shape and becomes quite beautiful. It reminds me of The Necks who likewise allow the music to unfold in its own time without a sense of rush. There are moments in a week where this music is quite wonderful

Jawbone MINI Jambox J2013-13-EU1 Bluetooth Active
Jawbone MINI Jambox J2013-13-EU1 Bluetooth Active
Offered by Valutech Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 April 2014
I won a Mini Jambox at a congress and have found it a wonderful addition to my general travel kit. It's light, has a long lasting battery time, connects by Bluetooth or wire and produces a magnificent bassy sound that would fill any hotel room comfortably. It feels solid and well built. It really is the best travel speaker I have heard unless you spend 2-3 times this price on a Bose etc and I am unsure I would notice the difference in sound quality.

Perfecting Sound Forever: The Story of Recorded Music
Perfecting Sound Forever: The Story of Recorded Music
by Greg Milner

2.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves, 2 Feb 2014
For me the first half of the book was absolutely fascinating. It told a great story of how the recording industry came into being, the key players and the format wars that has been taking place from the start. It is in the second half the author unfolds his idea that we are getting worse product following each development and that in fact digital is causing society actual harm. For this he uses rather obscure bands, albums and those from the technological end of the process - an example of using obscure to reinforce an idea. I understand Neil Young's view on digital and see where he is coming from but his thoughts are not the same as the author's. So for me I would have loved the book all the more if I had stopped half way through.

Ventus Eco Spin Windup 4GB Media Player - Black
Ventus Eco Spin Windup 4GB Media Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Off Road Travel, 20 Jan 2014
I have had this MP3 player for years and it's still going strong. In fact it's indestructible and can't be lost as people feel sorry that you don't own an iPhone so hand it in to Lost Property. For day to day travel I, like evryone, use a smartphone which for me is an iPhone 4S. Some time ago I loaded the SD card with music and audio books and use it on cycle camping trips. There it comes into its own. No batteries, plays through headphones or speaker, radio and best of all a torchlight. It's difficult to explain why anyone should want to buy one one now when technology has leapt forwards and this is out of the Ark but that is it's beauty. On these trips I don't want the phone aprt from a once daily check-in to home or else I would need to carry all the essential charging cables. Leave all that behind and discover a simpler life!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars A perfect solution - at first!, 29 Dec 2013
Works a treat. The cable is c. 6cm in length which is perfect for my needs. So often there is an assumption the longer the cable the happier the customer which isn't always correct. I can charge my iPad, iPhone 5 and camera using all three connections simultaneously so this is the only charging cable I need. What more can I say?

Follow up: What more can I say? All the above was correct for the first week and then the lightning and 30-pin stopped working and the micro USB became intermittent so the company has given me a refund and I have reordered the item as I like the idea of it. So for now I can saw it's a great idea but my experience has not been perfect. If the next order works then I shall change the rating as this is only fair. The key is that this is not an Apple product but an unknown 3rd party product.

Follow up: I reordered the item which arrived 3 days ago. All three connections worked for 2 days and then the 30-pin and Lightning connections have now stopped. Different plug sockets, different phones. Just dead. So my conclusion after two orders is that either I have bad luck or the item is rubbish. The problem is with the three lead connection at the point of the USB port. Too much cable for one small socket. If you buy and it works then good luck to you!

Hokkaido Highway Blues
Hokkaido Highway Blues
by Will Ferguson

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful travelogue, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hokkaido Highway Blues (Paperback)
I meant to read this book before a three-week holiday travelling around Japan but instead ended up reading it on my return. Full of insightful observations. A trip to Japan also involves an inner journey as you travel between confusion, amusement, annoyance and wonder and often all these at the same time. I am pleased I read this book after my trip only because it would have given me too many short cuts between that journey of confusion and some understanding and that is a journey we have to take on our own. A delightful read and thank you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8