Profile for Declan > Reviews

Coming to Terms: South Africa's Search for Truth
Coming to Terms: South Africa's Search for Truth
by Martin Meredith

4.0 out of 5 stars A guide to truth and reconcilliation, 26 Sep 2002
A difficult topic examining the sores that remain within South African society as a result of the apartheid experiment which will clearly take at least a generation to heal.
Martin Meredith's detailed knowledge of the country allows him to pull no punches in his assessment of the merits (and failures) of the Truth and Reconcilliation Committee. The actions of all the main protagonists are even-handedly considered and very few survive the book with reputations intact. The cheapness of human life becomes all to apparent and the justification for murder sounds so patently hollow, especially when we now live in a world in which a multi-racial South Africa exist and prospers.
I picked up the book at Cape Town airport as I headed home to London, fearful that its size and subject would result in reliance upon the in-flight movie for entertainment. Instead, I found myself gripped by an easy to read, yet detailed and informative book. I find myself thankful that I picked the book up and slightly disturbed of the knowledge that I now possess of the South Africa which existed during the course of my youth.