Profile for Marie > Reviews

Marie

The Misbegotten
The Misbegotten

5.0 out of 5 stars History Lover, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Misbegotten (Kindle Edition)
Wonderful, gripping, I can't think of enough superlatives for Katherine Webb's writing. This is the first novel of hers I have read and I couldn't put it down. I wanted to desperately find out what happens to each of the characters. Katherine Webb makes me feel like I know each one. I would never have guessed the secret attached to Alice. If you like descriptive, atmospheric writing this is the book for you. I have read all Elizabeth Chadwick and Sharon Penman to date and have struggled to fill their shoes but I would recommend Katherine Webb without hesitation.

The Summer Queen (Eleanor of Aquitaine Book 1)
The Summer Queen (Eleanor of Aquitaine Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars History Lover, 11 Sept. 2013
I love this book. I have read much about Eleanor of Aquitaine but mostly from the period of her marriage to Henry of Anjou. It is a wonderful insight to read about a young Eleanor losing her mother and her father at a young age. The book tells of her marriage to Louis V11 and where most other books romanticise her pilgrimage to Jerusalem, this brings to life the hardships that must have existed on that journey. I felt happy and at the same time frustrated for her locked in an unhappy marriage. I love the way Elizabeth Chadwick brings her characters to life and her wonderful descriptions make you feel you are in Poitiers or Jerusalem with them. I have read all of her books and look forward to the next two novels in the trilogy

Pillars in Time
Pillars in Time

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great read, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Pillars in Time (Kindle Edition)
I found the mixture of American language like "chick" and "man" completely at odds with the medieval language. I have read Susannah Kearsley who I think handles the time travel theme so much better. I like descriptive novels that make you feel you are in a particular place and this is not very descriptive. A woman goes back to 1376 and her love interests twin brother has gone to the present day where he has been for 6 years. He can't get back to 1376 but when after a month the woman manages to return to the present date they and her friend are suddenly back in medieval times( no explanation how they managed it, just it was difficult?) I really struggled with this book. I think there are other authors who treat this type of going back in time much better.

World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth)
World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth)

5.0 out of 5 stars Medieval follower, 7 Mar. 2013
This is the first Ken Follett book I have read. I love the descriptions of people and places. The characters really come to life and their stories are interwoven. My two favourite authors are Sharon Penman and Elizabeth Chadwick because of their descriptive qualities. I like the contrast between rich and poor and how the plague changed the fabric of society.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful Noise Leakage, 30 Nov. 2010
I bought these for my husband who travels a lot by plane.I stood 20 feet away and he might as well have been playing his music without headphones on the noise leakage was awful. No way could he use these on a flight or train as everyone would be able to hear his music. I am going to purchase him the Bose that he had originally a few years ago. The marketing on the Dr Dre Beats is fantastic a shame the over ear headphones are not. I have returned mine and thank you Amazon for amazing and efficient returns.