Profile for K. Tomkowski > Reviews

Content by K. Tomkowski

K. Tomkowski "krzys" (Poland)

Children of Men [DVD] [2007]
Children of Men [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars superb futuristic thriller for thinking persons, 13 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Children of Men [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
The movie is superb. I watched it (twice) in a good cinema with good and loud stereo, and it makes a difference. The sound effects are awesome and I guess some impact must be lost on the small screen. It is a mixture of elements of sci-fi, thriller, drama, the road and even war film. It is very well directed, especially when hand held camera is used, and brilliantly shot. It contains some of the most convincing scenes of urban warfare I've ever seen. Acting is good - especially by Owen and Caine. The script, upon closer examination, has more to it than at first meets the eye, I think its meanings could be discussed even at psychology, religion or philosophy seminars. As usual with a very good film, it can be admired for a few reasons.

2001: A Space Odyssey [1968] [DVD]
2001: A Space Odyssey [1968] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keir Dullea

3.0 out of 5 stars splendid film, pathetic edition, 26 April 2005
The film is very special, of course, but I agree with other opinions that it is pathetic not to have any extras included. That's why only 3 stars for this DVD.

Judas Kiss [DVD] [1998]
Judas Kiss [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Alan Rickman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated gem of a thriller, 7 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Judas Kiss [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
This one surprised me a lot. In a good sense. The script is refreshingly good and smart, direction energetic, actors really good too. Including the always gorgeous Carla Gugino. This one, like "A better way to die", belongs to the undeservedly underappreciated, forgotten thrillers which are actually better than other thrillers which appeared in cinemas and made a lot of money. Check it out, u will not regret it.

Weekend [1967] [DVD]
Weekend [1967] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mireille Darc

4.0 out of 5 stars A shortened version of an amazing film, 7 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Weekend [1967] [DVD] (DVD)
This film is amazing and should be seen or owned by every film buff; but I wonder: if I saw a US review of a 103-minute version of this movie and this one has only 90 minutes, what happened to 13 minutes and how important they are? I'd rather watch 103 minutes of a Godard film instead of being able to watch only 90 minutes because some genius decided to get rid of "unnecessary" material.

Look At Me [DVD]
Look At Me [DVD]
Dvd ~ Marilou Berry
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, 15 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Look At Me [DVD] (DVD)
It is a real gem of a movie. Agnes Jaoui has been already called a "French Woody Allen" after creating two movies with her partner and actor, Bacri. I have only very good things to say about "Look at me", from direction, brilliant script to acting and great music (mostly classical). I think the storyline and dialogues are multilayered and intelligent, though do not expect witty one-liners and many laughs like in Woody's lighter movies. It is a bit "Allenesque" a movie, but much more somber than his comedies while less grave than his dramas.

Cary Grant Collection [DVD]
Cary Grant Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cary Grant

3.0 out of 5 stars Uneven, 15 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Cary Grant Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Unfortunately the Collection includes a dud called "Indiscreet" which must be one of Grant's weakest movies. Its script is really boring and direction mediocre. Even Cary himself seems lost and tired there, as if thinking: "what am I doing in this?" The only very good aspect of "Indiscreet" is I.Bergman. Because "Operation Petticoat" is not extremely good either I cannot give Collection more than 3 stars. The discounted price is reasonable but I consider it to be for only three watchable movies, not four.

Islands
Islands
Offered by nationwide

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Islands (Audio CD)
Apparently Islands is not one of the most appreciated KC albums, and I do not understand why. I think it is a wonderful album, full of original and beautiful music. Luckily Fripp does not experiment on it in the sense of his usual improvisational "trips" which usually are boring. It is not an easy album, but far from boring. It is neither soft nor hard music but a melange of both. As often with KC it requires some concentration and should not be listened at parties,while driving or talking. I listened to it only last week again and I found it fascinating as ever, it has not aged at all. The use of various instruments, the arrangements, sounds, lyrics - all here is real art without being high-brow or pretentious, rather pure rock at its ambitious best.

Say You Will
Say You Will
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and intelligent folk-rock-pop, 1 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Say You Will (Audio CD)
I like this album very much. I think the band returns in top form, full of creativity and surprising freshness. It is also very nice that the album contains so many songs. All are catchy tunes, richly arranged and beaming with energy. I like the presence of acoustic guitar as it is rare these times. And Nick's vocal is intriguing as ever.
I am not what you would call a Fleetwood fan; so far I listened to only one of their records and many years ago. Now I will try to check out more.