Profile for Stephen Martindale > Reviews

Content by Stephen Martindale

Stephen Martindale

Sony Xperia Z1 Premium PU Leather Wallet Case / Cover / Pouch / Holster - Black/Tan
Offered by ClickJunkie
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but Not Durable, 27 Mar 2014
This cover is adequate. It fits the Sony Xperia Z1. It looks quite smart when it is brand new - particularly if you remove the thong - but I cannot recommend it - it is made out of cheap faux leather and wears out too quickly.

I would have liked a less fiddly closure mechanism - trying to push a leather tab through a loop is infuriating when wearing gloves.

Before purchasing, be aware that this cover's faux leather material is not even slightly durable and, to make matters worse, it is impossible to remove dirt that collects on the inside of the flap. Within three months, mine has become rather ragged and I always try to look after my devices.

Acctim Sweeper Silver Light & Snooze Alarm Clock
Acctim Sweeper Silver Light & Snooze Alarm Clock
Offered by HARTS
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Terrible, 28 Feb 2014
This alarm clock does keep time and the alarm is reliable. It is not inadequate. I do enjoy having an analogue clock that doesn't make a ticking sound and this product does look fairly smart but, overall, I don't like it.

The inaccuracy of the alarm is this clock's biggest failing. Firstly, you must set the alarm time using a single, small silver hand and that, in itself, is hard to do accurately. Then, once set, there appears to be a margin of error between the set-time and the actual time that the alarm triggers. You can only set the alarm to some time on a 12-hour face so you cannot enable the alarm if you intend for it to trigger more than twelve hours into the future and, most annoyingly, the alarm seems to trigger immediately if you set it to be less than half an hour into the future and then enable the alarm.

Lastly, this clock requires a number of batteries that I consider unwarranted.

Riemann P20 Once a Day 10 Hours Protection SPF20 Sunscreen 200ml
Riemann P20 Once a Day 10 Hours Protection SPF20 Sunscreen 200ml
Offered by FragrancesCosmeticsPerfumes
Price: 17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sunblock - More like an Oil than a Cream, 28 Feb 2014
I tried this sunblock on the pistes in the French Alps. I did not get burned.

This sunblock appears like a light, yellow oil. It is easy to apply and dries in moments. It does not leave you feeling sticky or greasy. Even at SPF 20, it was sufficient to protect my skin from the bright sun and reflection off fresh snow for several days.

It has a very sharp, acrid smell before it dries and that smell does linger on clothing, ski goggles etc. My wife found this odour to be objectionable and, although I did not share her opinion, I think many others might. I cannot say whether it stains clothing or not because I was wearing dark colours.

As a veteran sunblock user born and raised in Africa, I strongly recommend this product given that the odour does not bother you. (N.B.: SPF 20 is insufficient for the African summer.)

Timex Expedition Midsize Quartz Strap Watch with LCD Dial Chronograph Display and Black Fabric and Canvas - T49661

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Adventure Watch, 28 Feb 2014
I bought this wrist watch to keep time while outdoors, in the sea, up rock faces, on snowy mountains and just generally having fun.

I was looking for a small, light item with a large, legible display and that is precisely what this watch does well. Small. Light. Legible. It feels solid and, indeed, mine has already survived five days on snowy alpine slopes, several train journeys and a fair amount of sweat. The face does not scratch too easily - mine hasn't picked up any - and the strap feels robust. I am sure it will handle climbing chalk and sunblock (in the summer) without issue.

I would like to see a better system for securing the free end of the strap - it tends to flap about a bit and the little loop of fabric that is supposed to secure it is rather inadequate. I'd also like to see a proper back-light. The 'glow' system is not to my taste. Neither of these two criticisms are serious ones.

Oakley Airbrake Men's Ski Goggles
Oakley Airbrake Men's Ski Goggles
Price: 106.65 - 215.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Frame, 27 Feb 2014
I bought a pair of these from a high-street shop and have been using them for the last five days. I desperately regret my choice.

My pair was supplied with two lenses and the low-light lens would not fit into the frames despite all my efforts. This forced me to use the very dark Black Iridium lens (which could be fitted and removed with no difficulty at all) on the two very cloudy days of my trip. Poor quality negates the very reason I bought these: the option of using lenses suited ideally to the light conditions without fiddling with frames that must be dismantled.

When I finished skiing on the last day I put unscratched goggles into a spare micro-fibre goggle bag and then packed them, in their case, into my pack. When I arrived home, in London, they were scratched.beyond use, leading me to conclude that the Black Iridium lens is excessively delicate. (The bag was not dirty and an identical one had housed my wife's goggles (of a different brand) without issue, in the same part of the same pack on the same trip.)

I would not recommend these under any circumstances and my opinion of Oakley's quality is so low I would strongly advise avoiding the brand entirely.

Logitech G700s Rechargeable Gaming Mouse
Logitech G700s Rechargeable Gaming Mouse
Offered by ValueNTrust
Price: 56.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreasonably Close to Perfection, 3 Dec 2013
I live on the assumption that mere humans can only approach perfection. Considering the Logitech G700s, it is unreasonably close and better than I could have hoped for.

This is the first wireless mouse I have ever used that does not feel distinctly wireless - there is no delay in communication, at all. That, in itself, is a feather in Logitech's cap.

The product feels well constructed and, while some of the textures might not be everybody's cup of tea, none of them feel cheap. The attention to detail is superb: I appreciate the sliding power button instead of the old press-and-hold style buttons I've seen on older Logitech wireless mice, the ratchet on the scroll wheel is engaged or disengaged with a separate button and the lights on the side can be used to show the current DPI setting, the current profile or the battery level and they change colour to indicate what they're showing.

There are also many, many buttons. I didn't use them, at first, but I have started to experiment with them, binding them to keyboard keys, and they're growing on me. The certainly make it possible to play Skyrim, Civilisation V or any Total War title without putting your whiskey down and that is a good thing.

Unfortunately, the Logitech software is rather weak and temperamental. You can work around the issues but I'd like to see perfect software with such a great piece of kit. (It is also omitted from the box, you must download it - an odd decision.)

Also worth noting is the slight interference with the thumb buttons and your thumb. I'd like to see a little more space for those times when I am not using said buttons.

A few surprises pleased me too: Logitech thought fit to put a real rechargeable battery in the piece (an Eneloop 1900 mAh) and included two USB cables in the box, lest you lose one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2013 11:33 PM GMT

Bodum Chambord 1924-16 4-Cup Coffee Maker - 0.5 L/17 oz
Bodum Chambord 1924-16 4-Cup Coffee Maker - 0.5 L/17 oz
Offered by MightyHousewares
Price: 22.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Exceedingly Poor Materials, 3 Dec 2013
I paid the high premium for this French press because I love coffee and I was expecting a quality item, like the Bodum presses I have owned in the past. I was very disappointed.

It is adequate in that you can make coffee in it. If you know how, you can even make good coffee in this Bodum press.

The source of my disappointment is the construction of the handle - the part that you will come into contact with, most frequently. It is hollow plastic of the very cheapest kind and has an uneven, sharp seam running down the outside. Every time I lift it, I cringe!

Why pay first-class prices for a product that feels like the result of a bean-counter's committee?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2014 2:47 PM BST