Profile for S. Dinos > Reviews

White Chalk
White Chalk
Price: 8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Work of genious, 21 Sep 2007
This review is from: White Chalk (Audio CD)
I have not been a big fan of PJ Harvey but I have always respected what she does. I listened to this new album out of curiosity. However, something astonishing happened. From the first notes of the opening track I was spellbound. I listened to the whole album not quite believing what a work of genious I was introduced to and I certainly cannot say this for many albums from the first listen. I am not going to go into great detail. All I can say is that the album is a work of genious and an instant classic. Not a typical PJ Harvey album but a stand alone work of art. I very rarely write online reviews but listening to this album I felt compelled to write one. It may not be to everyone's taste but then again nothing is. The only words I can find to describe White Chalk would be haunting, mesmerising and out of this world.

Amsterdam
Amsterdam
by Ian McEwan
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing smth here????, 21 Aug 2007
This review is from: Amsterdam (Paperback)
I can't tell you how glad I was to find all these bad reviews after I finished the book... Having won the Booker Prize is just not making sense. Although it is 'well-written', it still has to be one of the worst books I have ever read. I just could not believe how silly and childish the whole story was... how one-dimensional and flat the characters were... I am truly convinced now that Mr McEwan is unable to capture the human psyche and the complexity of the human mind on paper (reading Saturday and Atonement one can be convinced about the writer's lack of ability to capture the essence of the human mind). The ending of the book in particular made me feel very embarrassed on behalf of Mr McEwan... One must be very immature to come up with such a murder plot. Not only he was delusional when he thought that the book was worth being published but he must also be surrounded by a group of people that would compliment him and his work even if he decided to re-write the phone directory... This is another example of how talent can be completely irrelevant to having a successful career...

LingvoSoft dictionary software 2006 English <-> Greek for Windows
LingvoSoft dictionary software 2006 English <-> Greek for Windows

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 18 July 2007
This is a great dictionary and particularly user friendly. One of the best features is that it changes the keyboard from English to Greek and vice versa automatically depending on the language you want to use. It is so much easier and fun than searching through a paperback dictionary. A great price too!!! I would definitely recommend.