ARRAY(0xaa063f78)

Leiths Techniques Bible
by Lucinda Bruce-Gardyne
Price: 13.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Unless you're a chef ..., 14 Sep 2013
I'm not going to say this isn't a good book, because it probably is to the right audience, but I, and most other individuals, are not the right audience. Some aspects I've found extremely useful, and it's definitely a very comprehensive guide to many cookery techniques, but unless you're a professional chef, these techniques really aren't going to feature in your life, never mind how much of an enthusiastic or competent cook you are. I use it occasionally, and have used a recipe or two, but it really isn't the go-to cookery bible I hoped it was going to be.

The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days
The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days
by Tarek Malouf
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Make the Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie, if nothing else ..., 14 April 2013
I fell I love with this book just looking through it. Just the pictures! I originally bought it for someone else, but pretty soon I gave in and bought a copy for myself too! I want to make absolutely every recipe in this book they just all sound so good, but unfortunately there just aren't enough occasions:( The basic cupcake recipe is one of the best ones I've found. The chocolate one particularly makes such lovely light, moist cupcakes. The frosting too is yummy (though quantities! I reduce the frosting by a third, which still makes plenty). We had the chocolate caramel hazelnut cheesecake in place of Christmas pudding, and I'm hoping it will become a Christmas dinner tradition for us. The butterscotch marshmallow squares make a lovely treat, and I made the chocolate chunk pecan pie this weekend, and am so so glad I did:) It was to die for! I can't wait to make the chocolate peanut butter pie, and the apple crumble cupcakes, and the banoffee whoopie pies, and pretty much the rest of the book ....

British Baking
British Baking
by Oliver Peyton
Price: 13.40

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite baking book:), 6 April 2013
This review is from: British Baking (Hardcover)
I love this book! I have pretty rapidly built up a collection of baking books, and this one remains my favourite! Firstly, it's a beautiful book to look through, with full page photos that make you want to make and eat everything in there. It's clearly and neatly laid out, and it feels generally like it's a good quality book as you flick through. On to the recipes! It's got a section at the back with the basics, including jams and sauces, as well as various pastries and doughs. They all seem to just work, so this is where I go for anything! The rest of the book is filled with a lot of classics (lemon drizzle, treacle tart, Battenburg, chelsea buns) as well as some unusual or different things, like toffee nut slices, raspberry coconut cakes, banana butterscotch pudding and greengage and almond tart. Best of all, they've included a few recipes for things like marshmallows and honeycomb! A fantastic book, would recommend to anyone with an interest in or love of food:)

Noughts & Crosses: Book 1 (Part1 of Noughts & Crosses Trilogy)
Noughts & Crosses: Book 1 (Part1 of Noughts & Crosses Trilogy)
by Malorie Blackman
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 21 Feb 2010
I bought Noughts and Crosses with a book voucher I had a while ago, because I'd heard some pretty good stuff about it, and it didn't disappoint! A brilliant story brilliantly told, it really captures the feelings and hardships of Callum and Sephy's lives, and the tough realities of racism. A truly emotional book, it gripped me from the first page until the last.