Profile for gm9368 > Reviews

gm9368

ASICS GT-3000 V2 Running Shoes - 8.5
ASICS GT-3000 V2 Running Shoes - 8.5

4.0 out of 5 stars GT2170 Replacements - First Run Review, 24 Aug. 2014
Since I started running 6 years ago, I have only used Asics 21xx shoes and I have found them to be fantastic shoes. I was out due to injury from July 2013 to March 2014, got back into training and decided to get another pair to alternate with my existing 2170s, only to find they had been discontinued and replaced with the GT2000s, which seemed to be pretty roundly lambasted. I considered the GT2000v2, but saw the GT3000 v2 at a good price, read a few good reviews and thought I would try them. I'm just back from a 12.2 mile run and these are my initial thoughts.

The most obvious differences when I put them on were the narrower toe box and increased cushioning / support, particularly in the heel. The sizing is definitely on the small/narrow side - I usually go a half size up anyway, but these are only just about the right fit, particularly on my right foot. My big toe catches very slightly on the overlay around the end of the toe box; not enough to cause any discomfort but I did have some pilling on my sock after the run, so I can see I might get a hole appearing over time.

Out of the box they are comfy - a little stiffer feeling than the 2170s, but that's probably the extra support. Being injury prone, that support is one of the reasons I chose them. For the first mile they felt a bit different, but after this I was into my stride and all felt fine. There is little movement of the foot within the shoe, and they did feel more stable running over an up and down cobbled section. I didn't feel any unusual aches or pains in my legs or upper body.

I did start to notice that my feet felt hotter, possibly because they are less roomy than the 2170s. Gradually I sensed a heat point under the ball of my right foot and slightly in the right heel, to the point I got concerned about blisters. However, I am used to lacing the 2170s pretty tight (as I have narrow feet in the wider toebox) and at 9.0 miles I decided to try loosening my laces. The effect was instant, much more comfortable and when I finished there was no redness on my foot at all. Lesson learned.

If you are looking for a GT2170 replacement, I think these do the job nicely. I have to rack up some more miles with them to see how they perform over time, but first impressions are positive. The price and turnaround from sportsshoes.com was fantastic as well.

In summary:

Pros:

Great out of the box
Very good stability and cushioning
Not too heavy
Great Price

Cons:

Beware the narrow toe box if you have a wide foot
Seemed to make my feet hotter
Narrow toe are also seems to make them a little shorter than the 2170; definitely go at least a half size up.

GreatShield iSlide Slim Fit Polycarbonate Hard Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 III i9300 - Black
Offered by theWireless USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Case for Galaxy S3, 6 Feb. 2013
It took a while to arrive (from the US) but it was worth waiting for. Fairly well packaged in a clear plastic branded sleeve, nothing too flashy but robust enough. The case itself is lined with microfibre to protect the phone and is an excellent fit, sliding easily into place. The bottom section slides securely into the upper section, with only a minimal seam between the two sections. There is a tiny ridged section on one side of my case, but I'm really being hyper critical.

The case feels great - it has a matt, non slip finish with a real quality feel. All of the cut outs for camera, volume, power switch, etc, are perfectly positioned and the lip on all around the face of the phone means it can be put face down on a desk without fear of damage. It does add a little bit bulk and weight to the phone, but not excessively, and you can't really avoid this if you want to put the phone in a case. It does make access to the home button feel a bit different to use without the case due to the lip around the base of the handset, but doesn't affect the function in any way.

The only reason for giving four stars is that once on the case is not the easiest to remove - the lower section is pretty secure and takes some effort to slide off which is good from a protective point of view but not if you want quick access to battery, sim card or micro sd.

Overall a really good case and excellent value for money.

Anker 24W Portable Dual-Port USB Car Charger with Built-in Micro USB Cable for Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; Tab 3; the new HTC One (M8) and a USB Port for iPhone 5S 5C 5; iPad Air mini (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really a proper review - it's going back.., 6 Feb. 2013
Just a quick word of warning to anyone who has a car lighter socket which is directly in front of the gear stick - this item is not 2.05" long as it says in the technical details, but is actually just over 4" long. I specifically chose it because my Nissan Qashqai has about 2" clearance between the gear stick and the socket so it needed to protrude from the socket as small a distance as possible.

Received the item, but as it so long there is no room to plug anything into the iPad socket and change gear safely, so unfortunately I've had to return it. I used an Anker battery in my Galaxy S2 and it was an excellent product, so I'm sure that this would be as good but it is no use in my vehicle, and I thought I should warn others of this potential problem. Someone needs to update the details to ensure that they are accurate.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 5:18 PM BST

MOFRED® 6 in Pack Screen Protector Value Pack For Samsung Galaxy S3 III i9300 Retail Packed with Cleaning Cloth And Application Card
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

1.0 out of 5 stars How did these get such good reviews?, 18 Jan. 2013
Earlier this week I upgraded my much loved S2 to the Galaxy S3, so as ever first purchase is to get a protector for the gorgeous S3 screen. Looked at the reviews, thought these will do the job - yes they are cheap but seem to be getting positive feedback. I have the S3 LTE i9305, but I checked the dimensions and as dims were the same as the i9300 decided these should still fit.

In all the different protectors of all the phones I have had, these are by far the worst I've tried. They are not oversize, so rather than overlapping the screen you have to line it up with ridiculous accuracy. They are not sticky enough - you spend ages removing the bubbles with the applicator card, then as soon as you remove the second film this actually pulls the whole protector off and you get air bubbles galore. I am on my third one already, as if you try to reposition more than once they just lose adhesion. No wonder these come in packs of 12. I did the application of the protector in the bathroom after having the shower running to avoid dust particles as well.

They don't feel anything like as good as other protectors in operation - you definitely notice one is fitted. It looks horrible because of the amount of air bubbles. Not happy, will use temporarily (not worth returning at this price) until I see something better. I probably should have just spent more.

Anker® 1900mAh Li-ion Battery For Samsung Galaxy S2 II GT-I9100, Galaxy S2 II I9100, Galaxy S2 II 9100G, EB-F1A2GBU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great battery - revived my S2!, 27 Nov. 2012
I was having all sorts of issues with my 18 month old S2, particularly after I upgraded to ICS. Random crashes, overheating, really poor battery life (even after switching almost everything off) and dropped calls, so I decided to try a new battery. Based on the reviews I decided to go for the Anker and I haven't been disappointed.

The battery fitted the S2 without any problem, and so far I have found the phone runs much cooler, I have had no crashes (excepting a Bluetooth glitch)and the battery life is much better. I can get through the day without needing to charge the phone, whereas I was having to connect the charger by about 5pm with the stock battery.

I have changed my battery charging habits - I used to leave the phone on charge overnight, but the supplied instructions warn against overcharging. I suspect this led to the demise of the stock battery, so now I only top up the Anker and take it off charge before I go to bed.

Overall, really impressed with the quality and performance of this battery, for not a lot of money.

Wired--up 2M Ethernet RJ45 Network Cable
Wired--up 2M Ethernet RJ45 Network Cable
Offered by guangdayiyg

2.0 out of 5 stars Not built to last, 13 April 2012
I bought two of these cables at the end of November 2011. Worked fine for 3 months, but if you find yourself having to unplug them (I needed to do so while investigating a problem with my router and connected av kit) beware - the plastic tabs break really easily. And once the tabs break they don't seat properly in the RJ45 sockets.

I guess at the price the connectors are not going to be that robust, and if you just plug it in and leave it, it would probably last ok. I need to buy replacements but won't get these ones again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2012 3:48 PM BST

Jays a-JAYS One Plus Tangle Free In-ear Earphones (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by CleverKit

4.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade to standard headset, 5 Jan. 2012
I have been looking for a replacement for the original headset supplied with my Samsung Galaxy S2 as I find it uncomfortable, not the best build quality and not up to the sound quality of my previous Sony earphones. As most headsets seem to be completely i-biased, the Android compatible Jabra Rythms had caught my eye but then I saw the A-Jays had an Android app all to themselves, and the standard jays ones had received pretty good reviews. At the price Amazon were doing them for, they seemed the ideal solution. So, ordered on 2nd Jan and delivered 5th Jan (Amazon top marks yet again).

First thing was the packaging. Looks great, feels great, but not for anyone who can't wait to open it up and get their hands on their nice new sound buds! You need to remove a (high adhesive) sticker, push down a tab with a thin object (pen, screwdiver, scissors or whatever else you can lay your hands on) to release the inner pack then slide it out. A bit over-engineered. Then again, they are from the same country that gave us Volvos.

Once I had freed the headset, straight away it feels good quality. The flat cable is new to me (I still managed to tangle it, but it is easier to free up). You get 5 sets of ear buds, so finding a fit was quite straight forward even if fitting the rubber cones onto the phones was not. They are quite a tight fit, but once on I guess that's a good thing. Buds are comfortable.

A quick read of the manual, plug them in to my S2 and pressed play and instantly I recognised the difference in sound quality versus the OEM Samsungs. Deeper bass, clearer range and better noise insulation. Then I tried the headset button. Didn't work. Downloaded App. Button still didn't work. Put app into advanced mode, set a player and button did mostly work. After much head scratching and Googling finally tracked the problem down to a headset setting in the MyPod app I have (which didn't show up on Jays app "Check for Conflicts" section either). Unchecked it and all works fine. I've included this for for any of you who get these and have problems; make sure you check any media player type apps for any headset settings.

I also discovered that the A-Jays app will work with the standard headset, so if you would like additional functionality for your headset it is worth downloading the app even if you don't have the A-Jays headset.

Overall, a great purchase and a huge leap above the standard earphones, for not a lot of money.

devolo dLAN 200 AVeasy (HomePlug AV) Starter Kit - Eth/ Eth
devolo dLAN 200 AVeasy (HomePlug AV) Starter Kit - Eth/ Eth

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, it just works!, 13 Sept. 2011
Earlier this year I purchased a Sony Blu-Ray player and wanted to use the internet based content it offered such as BBC i-Player, but the problem I had was my router was upstairs on a wired ethernet PC connection and the Sony downstairs. I didn't want incur the cost of a Sony wifi dongle, so I bought a TP-Link wifi adapter, plugged this into my pc and connected my router into the BD player via ethernet.

I have a 1904 house with thick walls and high ceilings, and unfortunately at best I could get a "low" wi-fi signal strength on the pc and often my internet connection was soooo slow or would drop out altogether. After an unsuccessful foray into a new wireless n router (had to return it), I thought I would give dlan AV200 powerline adapters a go.

I'd seen good reviews for the Devolo kit, and as luck would have it got an AV Easy Starter Kit at a great price on an auction site. Just installed them and it was very easy - plug them in, connect the included ethernet cables and that was it. Worked within 10 minutes of opening the box, and according to the Devolo Informer software, I am getting throughput of around 150-180 Mbps, which is pretty good given a theoretical maximum of 200 Mbps.

For securing the network, encryption can be done at the touch of a button but I must admit that although I have followed the instructions I am not entirely sure how to tell whether the encryption has been successful or not. Something that I have checked out, and can confirm, is that these adapters will work on separate electrical circuits provided those circuits go through the same master box (i.e. my downstairs and upstairs ring mains have separate fuses, but are on the same master block). I can also confirm that they will work on an extension lead, provided it is not surge protected. This is a must if, like me, you have an old property where the plug sockets are mounted low on the skirting. The adapters are too big to physically fit into a low wall socket, and as the ethernet cable plugs into the base this gives even less clearance. Therefore I have had to put one of my Devolo units into a flat 2 way extension socket, but it is working fine. (I think the latest Netgear adapters have a side mounted ethernet port, so this might be worth taking into consideration if you have a similar issue).

All in all, a really good product and if you are looking for a an easy, reliable way to distribute your internet access around the home then this is certainly an option you should consider.

Supergets Samsung Galaxy S2 Si9100 Premium Quality and Stylish Case Cover, Screen Protector and Polishing Cloth

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Case at a great price, 14 Aug. 2011
First off, despatch and delivery service was superb - ordered Tuesday night arrived Thursday morning.

The case itself is good quality considering the price. It is quite stylish as far as a black block of plastic can be, the two tone "S" finish on the back looks good and the ribbed effect on the sides does help with gripping the handset. The fit is very good, although there is one area of weakness - the lower right front is a bit flexible due to the cut out for the charging / synching cable. When I received the case it had got a bit bent out of shape in the post and subsequently does not fit perfectly around the phone screen. Otherwise it is completely snug, with all the necessary cut outs for hone button, camera, mic, etc in the correct place. As it covers the power and volume controls, these require a bit more effort to operate than without the case, but it is really minor.

The lip the case provides does protect the screen if you place the phone face down, and the material works fine with my Desk Mate non-slip phone stand.

The free screen protector is quite thin (particularly compared to the Proporta I fitted to my HTC Hero) but does the job and although doesn't feel as slick as using the screen unprotected, is perfectly acceptable. Make sure you don't take too many attempts to fit it though, as I don't think it would last repositioning more than a couple of times. Of course, you could buy a different protector as the case is not exactly expensive anyway.

I've been using it for over a week now and I think it is a really good buy - you could pay more for a "branded" case but I doubt you'll get better value.

Longridge Foam Practice Balls
Longridge Foam Practice Balls

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what this beginner was looking for!, 4 Oct. 2010
Bought these for my husband who recently decided to take up golf. He says these are a great way to practice connecting with the ball without risk of damage either to anything indoors, or more importantly to anything belonging to the neighbours outdoors. They have been great for driving and chipping practice. (They have also been excellent for letting our 5 year old son have a go safely!) Recommended for (and by) a golfing newbie.