Profile for D. Clews > Reviews

Content by D. Clews

D. Clews "David" (Lancashire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
FPUK 5 metre 3.5mm Jack Headphone/Mic EXTENSION Cable Lead
FPUK 5 metre 3.5mm Jack Headphone/Mic EXTENSION Cable Lead
Offered by XY Store

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain., 7 Mar. 2015
Outstanding value for money and delivered quickly.

Windows 7 for Seniors For Dummies
Windows 7 for Seniors For Dummies
by Mark Justice Hinton

2.0 out of 5 stars May help computer newbies but not those who have previously used a computer., 7 Mar. 2015
I have found many 'for DUMMIES' books useful over the years but I was disappointed with this one. Buying 'for DUMMIES' one does expect absolute basics to be covered in very simple and easy to understand format. Why then do we need 'For Seniors' in the title? Are we uncomprehending of what normal DUMMIES can understand?
With that out of the way - back to the expectation of basics. I have been familiar with computers since the early 80's and my most recent build has a motherboard that is better suited to an operating system more modern than my much loved Windows XP. I installed Windows 7 and wanted a book explaining the basics and additions of THAT operating system - not a book that would be better titled, "Using a computer running Windows 7 for DUMMIES".
Chapter 2 gave me the sort of information I wanted re' 'Snap', 'Stack', 'Side-by-side' and 'Flipping' windows but this is available via 'Getting Started' within Windows 7 itself. I confess that at half way through the book I have given up with it but flipping through the rest of it there appears to be no mention of 'Windows Live Essentials" which is an additional free download from Microsoft containing 'Movie Maker', 'Windows Live Mail', and other items which as the name suggests - are essentials.
Bottom line - if you are new to computers and yours has Windows 7 installed then you will be happy working your way through this book (find out about Windows Live Essentials) but if you are moving on from an earlier version of Windows there are better and much cheaper books available.

Official Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows - Black (PC)
Official Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows - Black (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars PC controller - wired version, 1 Jan. 2015
Simple and quick install. Works perfectly and does what it says on the can.

Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (PC DVD)
Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (PC DVD)
Offered by scaddingk

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with Shift 2 Unleashed for PC, 1 Jan. 2015
I am loving this game. My PC and its mid range graphics card are about 5 yrs old - it is not what many would call a gaming machine but there is no input lag as described by some reviewers. I see no point in me regurgitating much of what is written elsewhere but here are just a few points.

The game starts with a couple of practice laps at the end of which you are given recommended settings and 'assists' for your ability. I found getting around those two laps using only keyboard was not a fun thing. I was correctly assessed as being 'novice' and every possible assist was recommended - all I had to do was steer and accelerate.
Playing with keyboard was obviously going to be impossible so I bought an xbox / PC wired controller. During my entire computing life (from 1984) all steering and any other directional control has been right-handed by keys or mouse and it took my brain about an hour to link my left thumb with steering and from then on everything has been wonderful.
I have driven fast cars and I have driven cars fast. I have raced and I have crashed. Contrary to some reviewers I say the physics and realism of sensation have been effectively presented for a game.
The helmet cam has been heavily criticised by some reviewers but I like it - you get a realistic view and it is pointless complaining about sim realism if you change the view to being on the front of the bonnet or outside and behind the car.
The AI is pretty good and can be aggressive with you getting taken out through no fault of your own but hey - I'm not averse to giving others a little nudge or helping them run out of track. This is like the real world don't expect a vintage car rally.
Sensation via the controller effectively matches the sound and visuals when on grass, gravel or changes in road surface on street circuits.
Scenery is adequate (we're not out there sightseeing), much has been put into the game for those who like to 'fiddle' - changing the appearance of their cars, upgrading, tuning, etc. This isn't something I want at this stage but I tried slight alterations in tyre pressures and the effect is noticeable and realistic.

I find handling much better than I expected from a game and there are some finer points that surprised me, eg. In a straight line at 200+ kph you get two wheels on the grass and you get pulled toward the armco, crashes can be spectacular.
The challenge is to progress through your 'career' but I have been having loads of fun in 'quick races' where you set the number of laps against up to 15 opponents in whatever (similar class or identical) cars.
It is entertaining to replay (and save) your exploits and even here attention to detail can be seen, eg. strobe effect of rotating wheels as though it is actual footage.

My brother also bought this game and it is interesting to note that his install took 30 minutes but mine took 80 minutes.
After 12 hours of play I am nearing my limit of left thumb steering where 1 mm of incorrect movement can put me in the armco so a home-made steering wheel is in design process.

After 'Crysis 2' I said I would never buy another EA game but at the current price of less than £8 this game shouldn't be missed. Buy it and enjoy it for what it is - challenging fun.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars no recollection, 11 Sept. 2013
I came across this photo while searching for images of Langho Colony (Langho Centre) and having worked there 1976 - 1986 I have no knowledge of this building being there at that time. I do not know of any buildings being demolished, only of additional buildings since 1906. I cannot think of any part of the Colony where this building could have been where the foreground is a slope. If this photograph is indeed part of Langho Colony perhaps a reviewer could identify it?

Inglorious Bastards [DVD]
Inglorious Bastards [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bo Svenson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Inglorious Bastards [DVD] (DVD)
An unrealistic and poor plot. It is as though bits have been taken from the likes of 'Dirty Dozen' et al. The acting is unconvincing but they had to work with an abysmal script.
Lots of explosions with the usual launching of people in the air.
The 'climax' is similar but not of the same standard as children's TV Thunderbirds. It was made in the late 70's but I'm sure they could have done better with the effects.
Nothing else to say.

Scroll Saw Basics
Scroll Saw Basics
by Patrick Spielman

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but outdated, 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Scroll Saw Basics (Paperback)
I am a new 'scroller' and currently gleaning all the information I can on the subject.
Chapter 1 "Exploring Scroll Saws" is as informative as the title suggests.
Chapter 2 "Scroll-saw Blades" gives excellent detailed information.
Chapter 3 "Upgrading Imported Saws" has some useful tips but if you've just purchased your first saw you are unlikely to want to take a hacksaw to the saw table or drill holes through it. If you've done any research at all you will be aware that Hegner saws are regarded as the 'Rolls Royce' of scroll saws. This book constantly reinforces that by the author's attempt to make all saws as much like a Hegner as possible.
Chapter 4 (only 4 pages) "Wood material" is lacking in giving adequate information about the many different types of wood that you may wish to use.
Chapter 5 "Safety Techniques" says what you would expect but if it were a more up to date printing we would probably be told not to use this machine in the bath.
Chapter 6 "Setting up the saw" tells how to insert and tension blades and how to check the table is square to the blade.
Chapter 7 "Patterns" is many years overdue for a reprint. There's no internet and indeed no computer or printer - we are expected to trace and transfer patterns via carbon paper, etc. Enlarging or reducing is by squared graph paper and ovals are drawn via two pins and a piece of string!
Chapter 8 "Making basic cuts" is exactly as you would expect.
Chapters 9, 10 & 11 "Making inside cuts" "Stack-cutting" "Bevel-sawing" are as you would expect but there is no mention of basic 3D cuts.
There are some very simple patterns in the last few pages of the book.

Overall the book is well illustrated and is beneficial as a once-only read but I would not recommend buying it. In my opinion you would do better spending less time than it takes to read in watching a few youtube video tutorials on the basics.

Personal Size Giant Print Reference Bible-NKJV
Personal Size Giant Print Reference Bible-NKJV
by Thomas Nelson Publishers
Edition: Imitation Leather

2.0 out of 5 stars GIANT PRINT is misleading, 29 Sept. 2012
This bible is good value at the price. The imitation leather has a comfortable feel to it and I'm pleased with the overall quality. Although the printing is quite bold and so easier for aged eyes to read it is most definitely NOT giant print. It would be misleading even to describe it as large print. I bought this as a present and because of the print size it is a disappointment.

Deluxe Electric Guitar Rectangular ABS Case
Deluxe Electric Guitar Rectangular ABS Case

5.0 out of 5 stars I am pleased with this case., 29 July 2012
I bought my case about three years ago and it serves me well. No problems with hinges or locks. It accommodates a Fender Squier Strat perfectly and has room for leads, etc. The only thing that would have been an improvement for my use is if it would have had enough room for the whammy bar to remain in place but I guess the extra room wasn't warranted in production.
I use this case for storage at home only - I do not do gigs and I do not take it on flights so I can't say anything about durability in rough use. I hope that helps.

Training Your Pet Rat
Training Your Pet Rat
by G. Buscis

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to keeping pat rats, 29 July 2012
This review is from: Training Your Pet Rat (Paperback)
This small book covers everything you need to know about getting started with these intelligent and social animals.
Not a criticism but my only niggle is that being an American publication some of the foods, suppliers, etc, are almost unknown to me but UK substitutes are easy enough to figure out.
This book will give you essential information before you go shopping for a cage, toys, etc.

Page: 1 | 2