Profile for Angela Y > Reviews

Content by Angela Y

Angela Y

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Buyee 9.5" Portable DVD Player with Swivel Screen, Supports SD Card and USB, Direct Play in Formats MP4/AVI/RMVB/MP3/JPEG
Offered by Buyee (UK local delivery)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful product but 5 stars for Amazon for letting me return it., 5 Aug. 2015
We bought this to take camping as it had good reviews and was a good price. It is cheaply made and seems to be imported from abroad as the instructions are in poorly written English. It made me wonder if this unit meets British standards. We kept charging it but it gave only very short periods of power. There also seemed to be a loose connection in the ac adaptor as it would disconnect if the unit was in a certain position when attached to the mains. I pursued a returns with Amazon as I'm sick of buying products that are not fit for purpose (not amazons fault). They let me return it and gave me a full refund. My advice is pay another 20 pound and get a better and more recognisable make.

Afternoon Tea at the Sunflower Café
Afternoon Tea at the Sunflower Café

5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly delicious read., 29 July 2015
I've read every single one of Milly's book and I think this one might be my favourite. A woman, Connie finds out that that her husband of 24 years, Johnny Diamond has been cheating on her throughout their marriage and has got engaged to his 19 year old office junior despite being still married. The office manager Della has been holding a torch for Johnny for years and joins forces with Connie to get revenge on Johnny when she finds out about the engagement. I devoured this book. Despite this being a story of revenge it wasn't bitter but uplifting as you saw the characters find the strength to turn their lives around. Johnny was an arrogant, horrible, selfish man so I thoroughly enjoyed reading about their plot against him (cue evil laugh bwa ha ha ha ha). A superb book and in pure Milly Johnson style, she managed to get loads of brilliant food descriptions in, this time afternoon teas. Simply edible.

The Beach Hut
The Beach Hut
by Cassandra Parkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful., 11 May 2015
This review is from: The Beach Hut (Paperback)
I thought this book was absolutely stunning. I'd never read any books by this author but this certainly won't be the last. The main characters are Ava and Finn, brother and sister who have a strong bond that we are introduced to in the opening chapter. Ava and Finn set up a Beach Hut (illegally) to live in for a couple of months. Donald the local landlord has a dark past and we soon learn that his daughter Alicia has some dark secrets of her own. This is a book about family ties, fairy tales and secrets. This is a book to be savoured, it drew me in from the first page and it didn't want it to end. I adored the character Finn and the closing chapter had me in tears. One of the few books where I was completely surprised by the ending. Beautiful scenery, compelling storyline, one of my favourite books of the year so far, I just loved it.

Thanks to Netgalley and Legend Press for an ARC in return for a fair and honest review.

The Girls Who Went to War
The Girls Who Went to War
by Duncan Barrett

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another fantastic read from these authors., 10 May 2015
I've read previous books by the authors, GI Brides and The Sugar Girls so eagerly awaited the release of this book especially as the War Era is of real interest to me.

This book begins by outlining the beginning of the war in 1939, the military might of the Nazi's in comparison to Britain and therefore how important women were to the war effort. The book goes onto follow the stories of three women, Jessie, Kathleen and Margery who joined different womens services from the Women's Auxillary Air Force (WAAF), the Women's Royal Naval Service (WRNS or Wrens as they were known) and the ATS (Auxilliary Air Force). This book can also be purchased in three parts, one book for each of the women's stories.

My favourite story of the three was that of Kathleen who was stationed in Egypt a place that I have a significant interest in. I love hearing of life in Cairo during this era and how she dealt with life in the army camp in the middle of the desert. She describes a trip that they managed to take to Luxor and it felt that nothing has changed to this day.

The authors are brilliant at this type of book and documenting important social history. I think people that have enjoyed Jennifer Worth's Call the Midwife series of book would enjoy this book and others by the authors.

I'm from Reading the home of the famous Huntley and Palmers Biscuit Factory and I think that a book about the life of the workers in this factory needs to be the authors next book!

Jackpot! (Dirty Bertie)
Jackpot! (Dirty Bertie)
by Alan MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Dirty Bertie at his best!, 9 May 2015
Firstly, my seven year old and I are already huge Dirty Bertie fans so we were absolutely delighted to be given the opportunity to receive an advance reader copy of “Jackpot” by Netgalley and Stripes Publishing in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The Dirty Bertie series is perfect for boys from around the age of 6 to around 10 whether to be read to or as independent readers. Fans of the Horrid Henry series will enjoy Dirty Bertie, but in our opinion Bertie is a far more likeable character than Henry. He is more mischievous and cheeky but not nasty or unkind. These books are loaded with humour and at the end of each story we usually say “Bertie always wins in the end!” as he tend to get away with any mayhem that he creates.

Jackpot is made up of three stories called Jackpot, Crumbs and Demon Dolly. Each story consists of three chapters which is a perfect length for a bedtime read. The illustrations by David Roberts are just lovely, appealing to children of all ages and help to stimulate the child's imagination.

Jackpot was certainly not a disappointment to us, we thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to future releases.

The C-Word
The C-Word

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 9 May 2015
This review is from: The C-Word (Kindle Edition)
I'm a huge Sheridan Smith fan and had been waiting for ages for The C Word to be Televised and that's what inspired me to buy the book.

This is Lisa's story of being diagnosed with stage III breast cancer at the ripe old age of 28. She decided to start writing a blog when she was diagnosed so that she could offload all that she was thinking and feeling. Lisa had a phenomenal talent for writing, her tales were honest, engaging, sad yet above all, funny. I never expected to read a book about Breast Cancer and to be laughing out loud. It sounds as though Lisa had a fantastic family, an absolutely top husband and an amazing group of friends. Sadly, Lisa's cancer went on and spread to her bones and brain and she finally passed away in early 2013. This is one of the most inspiring, well written books I think I've ever read.

Four Waifs on our Doorstep
Four Waifs on our Doorstep

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional roller coaster. Superb read., 7 May 2015
I'm a fan of books written by British Foster carers Cathy Glass, Casey Watson and Rosie Lewis so I was delighted to stumble across this first book by Trisha Merry who has fostered over 700 children.

The book begins when four children are removed from their mother due to neglect and are placed with Trisha and Mike at short notice. Trisha and Mike were due to retire from fostering but were persuaded to carry on doing what they were doing. The children were filthy, in rags, had body and hair lice and were literally starving. The eldest had not even been toilet trained and didn't know how to use toilet paper so would wipe it on the walls. It soon becomes apparent that the children have suffered greatly and have many dark secrets.

This book was so sad and a real emotional roller coaster. I'm looking forward to reading more from Trisha Merry as I suspect she has some very interesting tales to tell.

The Earth Is Singing
The Earth Is Singing

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read in Holocaust literature for young readers., 3 May 2015
I purchased this book not realising that it is intended for Young Readers. I read a lot of Holocaust literature and have to say that this is an excellent read for those new to the subject as well as young readers. The authors family originated from Latvia so the book is set in Riga following the story of her Hanna, a student at a ballet school when the Russian Occupation of Riga ends and the Nazi's invade. Whilst this is a work of fiction it is based on actual events and covers topics such as going into hiding, betrayals, ghettos, forced labours and deportations. I would put his book in the top ten must reads for Holocaust literature for Young readers alongside The Diary of Anne Frank and Eva's Story by Eva Schloss. An excellent and highly recommended read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2015 4:49 PM BST

How I Lost You
How I Lost You

5.0 out of 5 stars So many twists and turns!, 1 May 2015
This review is from: How I Lost You (Kindle Edition)
Thanks to Headline and Netgalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is the story of Susan Webster who was convicted of killing her baby son, Dylan. She has no memory of what happened nor remembers being so ill that she wanted to kill him. Susan has now been released from prison, after a three-year sentence, and is living under the name Emma Cartwright, desperately trying to make a new life for herself with the support of her ex convict friend Cassy. But someone keeps sending packages to Susan Webster, telling her that her son is still alive.

This is a superb debut thriller from Jenny Blackhurst that drags you in from the first page. There are so many twists and turns that you have no idea how it's going to end right up until the end. The story switches between the current day and the late 80's/90's of a group of teenagers. Initially you can't see the relevance to the main story but it soon becomes clear. My only criticism would be the character Shakespeare, Shakes, Billy, all of which are nicknames and he is called all three. This initially made it difficult to work out who was who but a minor fault. The story was a little far fetched at times but it was so enjoyable so who cares? Right? There are so many books out there that are overhyped and below average that I've read over the last year. This book is the complete opposite. An excellent thriller that keep me up at night as I desperately wanted to get to the end. I'm looking forward to reading future books from Jenny Blackhurst.

The Lie
The Lie
by C.L. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read., 29 April 2015
This review is from: The Lie (Paperback)
I know I'm enjoying a book when I can't wait for the next opportunity to pick up my Kindle. I already have the first book by this author "The Accident" which I'm ashamed to say is still on my "to read list" although I doubt if it will be for long. This book was superb and I loved the exploration of friendships and felt an intense dislike for Daisy from the beginning. The opening chapter drew me in and wouldn't let me go. There are so many free books out there for Kindle users that for me if a book doesn't grab me by the third chapter, I move on and maybe go back to later. The author did a fabulous job of enticing the reader in and then keeping the momentum of the book going right until the end. I absolutely loved this and look forward to reading more from this author.

Thanks to Netgalley and HarperCollins UK, Avon for an ARC in return for a fair and honest review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3