Profile for ein Indierockmama > Reviews

I Love Patchwork: 21 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew
I Love Patchwork: 21 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew
by Rashida Coleman-Hale

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as promising as it looks, 14 Jan. 2010
I checked out the author's blog before I bought the book and liked the things she had shown there. However, I was a little disappointed by the book because I had expected something else.

To start with, the cover of the book only refers to 21 projects. Still, I don't think that's the author's fault but amazon's. From the 21 projects of the book I plan to make about five. The others are either just too simple for my taste (e.g. making kitchen towels out of linen fabric and applicating some fabric squares or making placemats out of linen fabric with a patchwork border) or not my style (sewing a patchwork ball, making a stuffed animal). But I really like the sewing machine cover and the cosmetics pouch.

The projects are all made out of linen in the style that is shown on the cover. The author uses a lot of natural linen. Therefore, the entire book has a little "eco" look. The section about material and sewing techniques is really well written and easy too understand. Even for me as a non-English native (I'm German) this section and the instructions to each project are easy to follow and have no flaws.

I think that this book is for the beginner or intermediate sewer. If you are into linen and you need some ideas using the patchwork to get started sewing, I would recommend you this book. If you are an advanced sewer and need inspiration I think it will suffice to look at the blog.