Profile for I. Losada > Reviews

Content by I. Losada

I. Losada "Isabel Losada" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Tibet: Turning the Wheel of Life (New Horizons)
Tibet: Turning the Wheel of Life (New Horizons)
by Françoise Pommaret

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and Shiny - beautifully illustrated and informative too., 19 July 2007
One of those fantastically beautifully illustrated little gift books that Thames and Hudson do so well. Impossible for the Tibet lover not to buy for the pictures alone but also readable and with some rare and interesting documentes of Tibetan history included.

As If
As If
by Blake Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars The Simple Wonder of Compassion and Empathy, 17 July 2007
This review is from: As If (Paperback)
I have long believed that 'To understand all is to forgive all' (Voltaire). Many people don't agree but I often wonder how those adults braying for two ten year old boys to be locked up as 'evil animals' would feel if they could see a video of the boys lives. What must they have been subjected to - we must ask ourselves as adults - to have been able to commit such a murder?

Morrison goes further than this... in order to understand he looks inside himself... as any good actor, Buddhist, Christian, believer or humanist must do. Every good actor that seeks to play a murderer must find the seeds of a murderer inside himself. It's only then when we truly see how, had the dice fallen differently, any one of those three boys could have been our sons - that we can have the compassion and empathy that such a case cries out for.

It is 2007 now and yet STILL emails circulate asking us to add our names to complaints that the judge had compassion and offered them new lives and new identities. So if you get such an email, and feel inclined to add your name - read this book first.

And if, like me, you are saddened by the lack of understanding and compassion displayed by humanity, read Blake Morrison's book. As he says so wonderfully - even if you don't agree that 'To understand all is to forgive all' you may agree that to understand nothing is to forgive nothing. This is all around us. The alternative, the way of peace and of forgiveness has to be worked hard for.

So thank you Blake Morrison - for this exceptionally brave piece of writing. And for teaching us about wisdom and compassion.

The Islamist: Why I joined radical Islam in Britain, what I saw inside and why I left
by Ed Husain

5.0 out of 5 stars Fatastically informative, inspiring and touching too., 8 July 2007
I bought this book because I am aware that I 'should' know more about radical Islamic movements than I did. (I don't even like to label them that as I don't consider that extremists have anything to do with Islam) What I had not expected was to be so moved, touched and inspired by the book as well as informed. Husain has achieved something truly remarkable with this book, he has informed the world of how the beauty of Islam is being destroyed, he has told a story, but he has also achieved something more mystical, by reading this book we can sit in the company of the truly wise and humble heart that he has now become. In this way he has communicated true Islam and the love of The Prophet to us all. And I'm not a Muslim. Thank you Mohammed - both the Prophet and the Author. I, for one, will be recommennding this book, and the poetry of Rumi too. x

Utopian Dreams
Utopian Dreams
by Tobias Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Tobias Jones., 9 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Utopian Dreams (Paperback)
Utopian Dreams is my book of the year. Just when we were all about to despair... along came Tobias Jones. This book is erudite, wise, lucid, clever, humble and very important; a profound joy and a complete relief. Here is someone expressing what we are all thinking, sorting out the confusion, and offering a way out of the mess we're all in. I'll be recommending it to anyone and everyone who'll listen and buying a copy for everyone I love. Amazing.

Truly Madly Deeply [VHS] [1990]
Truly Madly Deeply [VHS] [1990]
VHS
Offered by rdowns33

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite film, 6 Jan. 2003
This remains my favourite film of all time. I know it is not an epic but for me it has everything. A well written and imaginative script that is full of vitality and compassion. Wonderful performances by everyone in the cast. Wit and humour as well as an examination of the pain of loss and renewal and birth. One of the few films I must have seen ten times and never tire of. Simple yet profound - straighforward and yet brilliant. And the speech about the waste of love - well, scripts don't get better than this. If you only buy one film in your whole life - make it this one.

Heartlands: Travels in the Tibetan World (Summerdale travel)
Heartlands: Travels in the Tibetan World (Summerdale travel)
by Michael Buckley

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel with a Tibetan Expert, 29 Dec. 2002
Can you imagine the privilege of travelling with a companion who has been visiting Tibet for ten years - when you are visiting for the first time? This book contains all Buckley's best adventures over those years, a wealth of readable information on all that he sees, and his very well informed observation and explanation. At times he made me laugh out loud (I loved his section on 'how to engage the Chinese in Tibet in a conversation about the Dalai Lama: 'Why is it that a billion Chinese are afraid of one man?' 'We are not afraid of him!' 'Then why won't you talk about him?' Brilliant!) And he constantly worked the magic of a travel writer and had me wondering when I could pack. This book should become compulsory reading before any visit to Tibet, or Dharamsala, ir Ladakh, or the Himalayas or Mongolia or Bhutan and if, like me you missed Heartlands before you went, then read it on your return. If only everyone who went to Tibet knew as much as this then maybe the Chinese Government would have to give Tibet back to the Tibetans...

Running a Hotel on the Roof of the World: Five Years in Tibet
Running a Hotel on the Roof of the World: Five Years in Tibet
by Alec Le Sueur

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Dec. 2002
What a delightful book this is. So many books about Tibet are worthy but not very readable. Alec Le Sueur doesn't preach or lecture, he entertains. He doesn't need to go into lengthy explanations of history or politics he just tells you some stories of life running a hotel in Lhasa... What is most wonderful about this book is that it exemplifies the very joie de vivre for which Tibetans are known. He shows us the oppression that exsists in Lhasa and yet somehow also reveals to us the atmosphere that a Free Tibet could and should enjoy. Magical and very very clever.

Eighteen Layers of Hell: Stories from the Chinese Gulag (Global issues (Asian studies))
by Kate Saunders

5.0 out of 5 stars The Full Horror of 'The Motherland' at her worst, 10 Oct. 2002
I realised on reading this book that I've been walking around with my head in the sand for years. I cried when I was bought face to face with man's inhumanity to man in a way that I suppose I knew existed but have just not chosen to think about. I defy anyone to read this book and not end up joining Amnesty International or changing their lives in some way to rise to the challege that is presented by learning what Kate Saunders has so courageously researched and written. I stand in awe of this author. Read this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2007 6:10 PM GMT

The Search for the Panchen Lama
The Search for the Panchen Lama
by Isabel Hilton

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to do Something, 10 Aug. 2002
This is one of the most important books that I've ever read. It will certainly change my life in that, having read it, I'm unable to put the book down without doing something...If you don't know much Tibetan history you'll have to concentrate in the first half of the book as Isabel Hilton is a scholar of repute and is determined to inform the reader fully of the background to the events that unfold. It's well worth concentrating as the second half becomes a 'cancel all other plans and sit and read' thriller. Her wry humour often made me laugh out loud. Isabel Hilton speaks fluent Chinese and so has managed to interview a fantastic range of characters. She also includes her several meetings with The Dalai Lama and of the cameo role that she played in the tragedy that was to be the ending of the story as it is told here...

Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
by Louis de Bernieres

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopelssly in Love, 20 Sept. 2000
This has to be my favourite book ever. I do not remember ever having felt so in touched and moved by a writer. How has he managed to make me walk around feeling bereaved? Why didn't Antonio ask someone in the village if the baby was Pelagia's? It can only be because that was his worst fear and when he came back he expected to find her with someone else. His expectation of her betrayal was actually his betrayal and in light of the saying 'what we fear shall come upon us' the fact that he ran away without speaking to her is completely credible. I wanted to write a letter from Antonio to Pelagia written the evening after he finds out that she was never married. We must take care to expect the goodness of life - better to expect the best of those we love and be let down than to expect less and be wrong - as this story so wonderfully shows.
Also the scene when Mandras beats the old man to death and the scene when he returns returns. What masterful writing.
I would marry Bernieres if he looked like Quasimodo! And I haven't read his other books yet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4