Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Scotland)

Outlander: Cross Stitch (TV Tie-In)
Outlander: Cross Stitch (TV Tie-In)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 5 Feb 2014
I'll re-read this many times, what a great find!

Looking forward to the forthcoming television series (this summer) very much indeed.

DEVERELL GATEHOUSE
DEVERELL GATEHOUSE

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, 8 Oct 2013
As with all of Karen Macleod's books to date, this is excellent. Great characters, time travel, plot twists and a satisfying conclusion, along with deep historical knowledge and a witty and fluent writing style - what more could you want?!

THORN MAKER (The Warbeck Trilogy)
THORN MAKER (The Warbeck Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 2 Oct 2012
When I purchased this first e-book in this series, I had no idea that my spare time for the next week was about to be committed well and truly to devouring not only it, but the subsequent two books in the Warbeck trilogy. Others have described the plot, so I will limit my review to my reaction to it. Cheesy phrases pop into my head, such as "a rollicking read", "a roller-coaster of a series", "unputdownable". All are true, however, and such phrases should in no way imply a lesser quality of writing, as if to be addictive, fun and absorbing somehow condemns a work to be less literary, which is often implied in reviews, much to my incredulity. This series is dripping in background historical detail, the author clearly knowing her period. The writing is fluid and confident; the characters clearly delineated. The action never lets up. And so you, the reader, won't let up until you've got to the end - and that's the sign of a darn good book (or three!).

COUNTERFEIT (The Warbeck Trilogy Book 2)
COUNTERFEIT (The Warbeck Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 2 Oct 2012

DOUBTFUL BLOOD (The Warbeck Trilogy Book 1)
DOUBTFUL BLOOD (The Warbeck Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 2 Oct 2012
When I purchased this e-book (my first!), I had no idea that my spare time for the next week was about to be committed well and truly to devouring not only it, but the subsequent two books in the Warbeck trilogy. Others have described the plot, so I will limit my review to my reaction to it. Cheesy phrases pop into my head, such as "a rollicking read", "a roller-coaster of a series", "unputdownable". All are true, however, and such phrases should in no way imply a lesser quality of writing, as if to be addictive, fun and absorbing somehow condemns a work to be less literary, which is often implied in reviews, much to my incredulity. This series is dripping in background historical detail, the author clearly knowing her period. The writing is fluid and confident; the characters clearly delineated. The action never lets up. And so you, the reader, won't let up until you've got to the end - and that's the sign of a darn good book (or three!).

Ophelia
Ophelia
by Lisa Klein

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful surprise!, 6 Jan 2007
This review is from: Ophelia (Paperback)
It probably helped that I was familiar with Hamlet, but not TOO familiar. I mean, I can see die-hard Hamlet fans not giving this book a chance on principle. I suspect many people will object to the happier - and yes, girlier - sheen Klein puts on the 'original' story. But I loved it. I don't often say that about a book these days, and have found myself returning more and more to the children's and young adults' sections of bookshops in the hope of finding the more imaginative, less pretentious and just damn good storytelling I remember devouring in my younger days. This book delivers in spades - and is far too clever in its underlying themes to be considered 'just' a children's book. Subplots, themes - such as the imagery of flowers and herb - the Shakespearean characters (and Klein's own), Shakespearean devices, the language of Shakespeare and the strong, modern but never grating voice of Ophelia are expertly woven together. On one level, it bears re-reading with a York Notes book beside it. On another, it is a scholarly masterpiece. Most of all, and this is my justification for urging anyone reading this to buy this book, it is a novel clearly written from the heart, to the heart of the reader. I dearly hope to read more from Lisa Klein in the future.