Profile for George Deans > Reviews

Content by George Deans

George Deans (UK)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price buy it, 5 Sept. 2012
For £16 you can't go wrong with this product. The extended battery capability, and added size (for those of us with big man hands) is well worth shelling out the few quid it costs to buy. As others have said you do need the original camera battery to get the grip to work, otherwise you get a battery not compatible type warning. That doesn't mean you can use two genuine Nikon replacement batteries though - it needs the one that the camera came with (or at least that is the only way I could seem to get it to work).

Doubt I will make use of the shutter release button on the grip cause the cord from the grip to the camera would just encourage me to catch it on something and break the camera or the grip so I Will just use the big man hands god gave me to reach round and press the camera shutter release myself.

Product would be 5 star if it weren't for the weird battery requirement.

Pro Camera Aluminium Case (padded) Flight case - Original SOLIDGUARD by BRUBAKER
Offered by Brubaker (The fast shipper!)

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy until they go back to conical foam in the lid, 4 Sept. 2012
Last year I bought one of these cases for my nikon d50. At the time it proved to be a good buy, worth the 40quid or so at the time. When I changed my camera for one that was different dimensions I had no worries about buying another one of these to replace the old case. What a difference a year makes. The lid is no longer lined with the 'egg crate' foam lining as shown in some of the pictures, but is instead as shown in the first pic. This new lid lining sucks big time. It adds a lot of excess pressure to any part of the item that sits proud of the internal packing foam, unlike the old version which gave support without adding excessive pressure. I have learned a £40 lesson here as this case is not suitable for anything like the puropse I need it for, so it is destined for the bin. What a shame this case has been let down by changing one little thing. If you are buying this for an SLR type camera save your money and DON'T buy this one. Get one that has the lid liner with the 'egg crate' foam, like that show in some of the pictures associated with this product.

UPDATE: Instead of binning the case I shelled out just over 7 quid for some 'Convoluted Acoustic (egg crate): width 445mm, length 315mm, thickness 40mm foam' and ripped out the shockingly bad lid lining foam (it didn't take much ripping as the glue wasn't overly strong thankfully) and glued the replacement foam in place. Case is now a lot better so if you don't mind a little DIY and are happy to pay extra to get a more appropriate lining for the lid of your flight case then by all means get this case. Still only scores a 1 for me though because I had to make the case fit for purpose instead of it coming that way.

HTC Desire HD Black Armor &Screen Protector
HTC Desire HD Black Armor &Screen Protector

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 4 Dec. 2010
This product is definitely not 'armour' in any way shape or form. I had clipped it together to see how well it held together (thankfully without my phone inside) as it slipped out of my hands (from a height of no more than 3 feet), and it landed on laminate flooring. Imagine my surprise (and relief at it not containing my phone) when, on picking it up it had broken).

If you really are wanting to protect your phone from harm greater than a gnats fart then do NOT buy this product as you will only be disappointed (and probably end up out of pocket replacing/repairing your phone).

My motto now has to be 'you live and learn', and I have definitely learned that quality protection costs a lot more than a few quid.

Take care folks and happy shopping.

Thermaltake 3.5 External Muse Caddy A2319 S-ATA Silver Retail Packacing
Thermaltake 3.5 External Muse Caddy A2319 S-ATA Silver Retail Packacing

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shock, 1 Feb. 2008
Having bought a Thermaltake tower I had high hopes for this product. My last enclosure had recently given up the ghost after a short period of use. I, therefore, decided to pay a bit extra for the Thermaltake name. Alas the design, whilst externally very attractive, fails on the inside when you try and fit your drive. The lack of space in the enclosure meant that as soon as I had attached the sata cable to the drive, as per installation instructions, and then placed the drive onto the fixing points, the cable attachment snapped on the internal circuit board of the enclosure as the two ends of the sata cable did not fit in the space provided. This meant that the drive was rendered useless and fit only for the bin before I had even had a chance to use it. I would definitely not reccommend this enclosure.