Profile for John > Reviews

Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Marco Jentzsch
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed thoughts, 25 Nov 2013
I loved the staging and the production. I was, however, disappointed in some of the singers' performances. Johannes Martin Kraenzle's performance of Beckmesser and Anna Gabler's performance of Eva were both outstanding and well-worth buying this edition.

A Pair of Jeans and other stories
A Pair of Jeans and other stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for Everyone, 10 Nov 2013
With such an eclectic mix of great stories there must be something for everyone here. My favourite is the Zemindar's Wife - a story on many levels. It is the story of two people with opposing ideas, who find that their love brings them to come together in the realisation that all of their desires are reached in a single goal. All of the stories are well written and beautifully formed and it is no wonder that A Pair of Jeans has been used in German schools for many years in the `Abitur' (A levels). An excellent collection and a worthwhile read.

Revolt
Revolt

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet!, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Revolt (Kindle Edition)
Of all the three novels by Qaisra Shahraz Revolt is the best to date. The story tells of three sisters and their families living in a modern world. Each of the characters is finely honed and a delight to the imagination; Qaisra Shahraz' descriptions just make the book a joy to read. One should not hesitate to to get hold of a copy as soon as possible for we have long awaited Qaisra's third novel - and it was worth the wait.

Typhoon
Typhoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating Book from the Opening Page - a real page turner., 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Typhoon (Kindle Edition)
Qaisra Shahraz, has once again wowed her readers with her second novel Typhoon and has become one of Britain's leading authors. Typhoon, although not a direct sequel to her previous novel: The Holy Woman, tells the gripping story of three women. Once again Qaisra Shahraz has taken some of the fascinating characters from her earlier book and developed them in a truly excellent way. One character in particular is the proud queen of the village Chaudharani Kaniz. She has become one of the most interesting characters in both books. We thought we knew her well in The Holy Woman it is not until Typhoon that we really understand this wonderful complex woman. Once again Qaisra Shahraz takes us on a wonderful exotic journey opening up the world of Pakistan to both the Western and Asian reader. You don't need to travel to that country because its heat and passion both spring out of the pages of these wonderful books.

B22 Bayonet 7W LED (Samsung Chip) Bulb Warm White, Super Power 600 Lumens, 60-70W replacement
Offered by JnDeeLighting

5.0 out of 5 stars First LED lamp bulb, 20 Nov 2012
I purchased this bulb with the idea of slowly replacing my florescent light bulbs. I am really delighted with the bulb and installed it into my bedside lamp. I was so delighted by the way that it lights up instantly with a bright light. There was one issue which turned out to be a blessing in my bedside lamp situation, but may well be a problem elsewhere. The light only has a 180 degree full coverage - this means that the bright light didn't shine down onto the bed only the reflective light - so that I wasn't dazzled first thing in the morning.
I do have one question, and that is that the base of the light is warm and it obviously is designed to disperse the heat. I believed that LED lights were cool, so does it contain a transformer, which requires much more energy than the light bulb?

Jane Greenoff's iStitch PC DVD ROM
Jane Greenoff's iStitch PC DVD ROM
Offered by Very Crafty

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot use this program!, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Jane Greenoff's iStitch PC DVD ROM
I looked forward to the arrival of this program, BUT what a disappointment. There is absolutely no instructions, and the logical commands do not seem to work as one would expect. I tried doggedly to work out the program, but with no success. I have now put it in my draw of wasted purchases.

Gilbert and Sullivan (1982) [DVD]
Gilbert and Sullivan (1982) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Allen

2.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag, 10 May 2012
The performances provide a mixed bag of performances. I was disappointed when one of my favourite songs had been cut from The Yeoman of the Guard. I enjoyed the Mikado, but some of the operettas were excellent if you needed a good sleep - as the performances lacked sparkle.

Parsifal: Bayreuther Festpiele (Stein) [DVD] [2007]
Parsifal: Bayreuther Festpiele (Stein) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Brian Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Performance, 10 May 2012
I have seen Parsifal several times, including at Bayreuth, and I found this production to be excellent. One is soon drawn into the performance especially in the forest scene.

Love Never Dies Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Love Never Dies Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Ben Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Super work, production and players, 10 May 2012
I hadn't seen the original of Love Never Dies, but this production is absolutely fabulous and extremely enjoyable. The boy who played Gustav was especially brilliant.

Tales I Tell My Grandchildren
Tales I Tell My Grandchildren
by Shiri Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Stories, 21 Dec 2011
I bought this book from the local book shop to read to my children, but I hadn't expected how good the stories were. We all were thoroughly delighted by Shiri Lee's wonderful stories and the children were captivated both by the tales and John Shaw's looking at the lovely illustrations. Each story transports the reader and listeners to have wonderful adventures. I would recommend this book to anyone with children. The use of English is outstanding which should help with the reading skills of any child.