Profile for jimbo > Reviews

Content by jimbo

jimbo

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Portnoy's Complaint (Vintage Blue)
Portnoy's Complaint (Vintage Blue)

2.0 out of 5 stars Jimbo Critique, 19 Jun. 2014
Written in a way that only a book by a Jew about Jewish culture and society could get away with. So many in jokes and interpolation of Yiddish words that perhaps it was written for Jews. I found it totally uninteresting and not funny in the least.

GSam Screen Dimmer Free
GSam Screen Dimmer Free

3.0 out of 5 stars Jimbo, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: GSam Screen Dimmer Free (App)
Used this for a long time but found it rather clumsy. I is not really think that ease of access was very good and if turned down completely then almost impossible to recover picture.

One Night in Winter
One Night in Winter

4.0 out of 5 stars Jimbo critiques, 19 Jun. 2014
This is in many ways a great read and I for one could not put it down. It is good on the essence of what it was like to be a senior party member in the Stalinist era. As in Russian literature in general, the number of characters is confusing, though this is addressed by the excellent list of characters on the front pages. Like many others I considered the most interesting part was the beginning after which I felt everything went down hill and the love interests were rather unnecessary. I did have to read to the end because I was interested in how the author could resolve these issues; in the end I felt he failed to provide a worthy solution.

The Liar
The Liar

1.0 out of 5 stars Jimbo Headache, 13 May 2014
This review is from: The Liar (Kindle Edition)
I managed three pages. Possibly perseverance could have led me into a promised land, but this seemed unlikely. Humour seemed heavily disguised.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

2.0 out of 5 stars Jimbo suffered., 13 May 2014
Purchased because friend saw a review and thought we might like it. The storyline seemed so improbable and slow I gave up.

Russell Hobbs 18943 Colours Kettle - Cream
Russell Hobbs 18943 Colours Kettle - Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars Jimbo for tea., 13 May 2014
Unfortunately original was returned to Amazon with a faulty switch. The speed of replacement was excellent and product does all I could ask of it

Cakes And Ale
Cakes And Ale

2.0 out of 5 stars No ckes for me I'm afraid., 13 May 2014
This review is from: Cakes And Ale (Kindle Edition)
Rather dated and slow. This is a clever, bitchy, snobbish overview of the time of Hardy. I read to the end but without much pleasure.

Acer Aspire E1-530 15.6-inch Laptop (Iron) - (Intel Pentium 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1)
Offered by Citadel_09

3.0 out of 5 stars jimbo, 24 April 2014
Better than the Toshiba which I returned as unsatisfactory. Apart from the lack of an indicator on the Caps Lock I have no complaints with the Hardware. As to the operating system... what a disaster! I think it started as as Windows 8 and was later modified to Windows 8.1. It is a mess which has pages of Apps and a dreadful file explorer. In addition it was unstable, full of pop-ups and adverts and was unstable. As I needed a computer, I played with the operating system (left hand bottom corner and right click) and went into 'System'. I then updated the operating system to 8.1 with a clean install which works more or less well. The battery charging remains problematic. The rest of the operating system is still something to avoid.
If you do not need to buy a computer with Windows 8.1 would suggest you hang on until the serious glitches are sorted out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2014 6:38 PM BST

Toshiba Satellite C50D-A-133 15.6-inch Laptop (AMD E1-2100 1.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Windows 8.1)
Offered by DGADGET

1.0 out of 5 stars Jimbo Toshiba, 11 April 2014
Without exception the worst purchase I have made. In state it arrived there was no indication when it was switched on. Basically a blank screen Eventually perhaps after switching on and off it might deign to work but only very slowly and the Explorer search was so slow as to be useless.
From other reviews I think that some have been lucky and others less so. Discussed with help desk who indicated there was a known issue and suggested I return for a refund.
Talked to Toshiba who treated me as an idiot claiming it was my fault and Windows8 just takes getting used to.
Eventually used a relation's Windows 8 computer to print return labels and was pleased to find this operating system and I are not incompatible!

Englanders and Huns: The Culture-Clash which Led to the First World War
Englanders and Huns: The Culture-Clash which Led to the First World War

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimboreview, 5 Mar. 2014
Not the easiest read, but very worthwhile. This covers a period of German history which has never been clear to me and in particular the role of the Junkers and their place in German society.
Although the analysis ends in 1914, the well explained divisions in society make it understandable that when the war ended the country could well have moved in the direction of Lenin.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10