Profile for Melanie P. > Reviews

Content by Melanie P.

Melanie P. "Melanie P." (UK)

One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter World)
One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter World)
by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure what to expect..., 12 Nov 2008
After reading the synopsis of this book (some time ago), I had wondered how on earth SK was going to play this one, after all, Stryker is the villain of the piece.

In reality, the Stryker/Zephyra storyline, although quite predominant, vies equally for attention with the other storyline in this book, which serves the purpose of bridging the gap to the next arc by introducing new characters and a bit (understatement!) of a twist for an existing one (more on that in a bit). However, as I understand that the next arc is to be JADEN, I was a little surprised that he didn't pop up in this book.

What this story does do is humanise Stryker to a great extent and provide you with more understanding of his motivation. Whereas previously he was perhaps just perceived as evil plain and simple, you now appreciate that (while he's never going to be good), he does still feel love and emotions.

After Acheron, there was always going to be a lot to live up to, and I guess I was a little underwhelmed by this one, and slightly disappointed that we didn't get to see as much of Ash and Tory together as a couple as I thought we may have (I personally like to revisit couples again after their own stories).

There was a major twist with an existing character who has featured in the series from the start, which I didn't see coming and I have to admit that it seemed a bit "spur of the moment" to me as, unless I've been completely obtuse, there had been no clues to it previously!

Given this twist, I'm convinced that although this book supposedly marks the end of Acheron's arc, he still has a big role to play going forwards.

As a previous reviewer has said, the book seemed a little short (big font padding out the pages), and is likely not one you'll read again and again, but provided a pleasant interlude whilst we're awaiting the next full length novel.

Acheron (Dark-Hunter World)
Acheron (Dark-Hunter World)
by Sherrilyn Kenyon

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - well worth the wait!, 9 Aug 2008
After all of the build up, and such a long wait, I must admit to being worried that this book wouldn't live up to my expectations, but once having started I couldn't put it down.

As has been said in reviews elsewhere, the first part (Acheron's backstory) is quite harrowing in places, but necessary to explain how he's become who he is today. It very nicely pulls together all of the snippets that have been referred to in the DH books in the series to date, fully explaining his human life, how he came into his godhood, the destruction of Atlantis, and his relationship with Artemis (initially, had some empathy for her, but this soon disappeared as the story progressed!).

Once you get into the second part (current day), there's a return to the more light-hearted approach from the previous DH books. The intial meetings with his heroine (won't say who it is for those who don't know yet!) are excellent. It's very amusing to see her dealing with him in such a way so different to everyone else in his life!

My only criticisms would be that he seemed slightly too "normal" when compared to the dark & mysterious Acheron we've known previously, but then, we've only ever seen him for short periods in the other DH stories. Also, the second part could have done with being a little bit longer (it is quite a bit shorter than part 1).

That being said, it was well worth the wait, and when you get your hands on it, you definitely need to aside a good few hours, as once you've picked it up, you won't be able to put it down. I did manage to have a break in between parts 1 & 2, but each part really does warrant being read in it's entirety in one sitting!

The good news is, that whilst Ash has now got his HEA, I definitely don't think that this is the last we're going to see of him :-)

I would imagine he's going to play quite a major part in Stryker's book in a few months time - looking forward to that one!