Profile for Scott SAFC > Reviews

Eagle Rare 10 Year Old Bourbon Whisky 70 cl
Eagle Rare 10 Year Old Bourbon Whisky 70 cl
Offered by The Grapevine

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffalo Trace's big brother!!, 29 Jan. 2016
I can only describe this bourbon as exceptional!! From the same distillery that gives us the fabulous Buffalo Trace comes it's bigger, bolder brother...

Having been converted to bourbon by sipping Buffalo Trace, I found over time and after trying various other brands at differing levels of strength and quality that it left just that little something lacking, maybe a touch of depth or character... Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it in any way, it will remain one of my favourites for all time having first turned my head to the great whiskey Kentucky produces, however this version from their distillery will certainly rank above it!!

This has a really, really good nose, when I first opened my bottle the smell of it filled the entire room with that wonderful sweet, rich aroma you'd hope for in a good bourbon! Add to that great body, full flavours and an exceptionally smooth finish and you're left with a feeling of almost complete satisfaction!

At 45% it packs a punch however it's not overpowering at all, in fact it only served to compliment the sensations I described above to me, without the over burn you sometimes find in slightly stronger whiskey. Personally I found each sensation this whiskey delivered to be proportional to the next, making it an absolute pleasure to drink!

I'll definitely purchase it again, I'm currently exploring a variety of Kentucky whiskeys but I just know I'll come back to this one at some point.

Trust me if you ever wish to impress someone with a great bourbon, I'd go as far to say as you probably won't find many better than this one!!

Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold Whisky 70 cl
Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold Whisky 70 cl

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced., 29 Jan. 2016
Without meaning to go over the top, IMHO it's fair to suggest that there's a link between those giving this whisky 5 stars and those who have mainly received their bottle for free as part of the vine project...

I'm basing that statement on the fact that, again IMHO, a £40 + whisky this is not. Nor is it a £30 +, or even a £20 + for that matter.

My first impressions upon taking this out of the box are that it was cheap, the labelling etc just looked tacky, and this was backed up by my first tasting of it too!

My main reason for drawing that conclusion is that it lacks any body whatsoever, certainly in comparison to it's big sister the fantastic Dalwhinnie 15 yo, and also against other 12 and 10 yo single malts too.

It's a wish wash of flavours, it tasted like something that was trying to be too many things but failing miserably to be any of them to me.

However I must add that after freezing it as is recommended, the whisky did improve, even to the point of becoming quite quaffable, however my lasting impression is that I wouldn't ever pay any more than £20 for a bottle of this again, not in relation to what you could buy at a similar price to replace it.

Being a massive fan of Dalwhinnie 15yo, it's fair to say that I feel let down by my expectations of this a fair bit, even cheated to a point, as if Dalwhinnie have tried to dupe us using the great name they've built for themselves with their 15yo as a reason to massively overprice this!

Having said that I would suggest that if you do ever see it priced at around the £20 mark then give it a try for yourself, after it's been in the freezer it's really not that bad.

But it's certainly not worth the current asking price, as I say going up against what you could purchase in it's place.

Merlyn Welsh Cream Liqueur 70cl
Merlyn Welsh Cream Liqueur 70cl

5.0 out of 5 stars A rival to the throne..., 26 Jan. 2016
I bought 2 bottles of this as gifts, 1 for my Mother and 1 for my Sister, both of whom are huge fans of baileys!

I'd heard this was at least as good so I put it to the test by replacing their standard stocking filler this year...

Judging by their initial reactions and then by tasting it myself, I can confirm that this is a worthy rival to the baileys crown!

Myself, my Mother and Sister all agreed, this lacks the alcohol punch you get with baileys, instead delivering a more sweet and fresh finish.

I'd personally drink it again, goes lovely in an Irish coffee, and my Mam and Sis said they would too.

If you knew how big a fan of baileys they are, that'd tell you all you need to know about the quality of this stuff :)

Vileda Long Handled Dustpan
Vileda Long Handled Dustpan
Offered by World Wide Shopping Mall Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat, 26 Jan. 2016
Purchased to stop me having to bend down and use a traditional hand sized dust pan, and doesn't disappoint

Kitchen Craft Master Class Stainless Steel Carving Fork
Kitchen Craft Master Class Stainless Steel Carving Fork

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 26 Jan. 2016
Really sturdy fork, does the job you'd expect it to ie holds onto a piece of meat as you carve it, without feeling flimsy or anything.

Wood Care Oil
Wood Care Oil

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 26 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Wood Care Oil (Kitchen & Home)
Purchased to maintain my acacia chopping board and it's doing an absolutely fabulous job of just that! Brings out the grain and depth of colour in the wood, which in turn serves to disguise scratches etc, as well as aiding the prevention of warping

RSPB BIRDS IN ART Calendar with Artwork by Ian Kent
RSPB BIRDS IN ART Calendar with Artwork by Ian Kent
Offered by Wild Star Hearts UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 26 Jan. 2016
Beautiful illustrations, look almost like photographs, better actually when you consider that they aren't! Was thrilled to find it had been signed by the artist also! :)

Angostura Aromatic Bitters 20 cl
Angostura Aromatic Bitters 20 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 22 Dec. 2015
I bought this so that I could mix my own "Old Fashioned" cocktails and haven't been disappointed, I'm yet to try it as some others have suggested as an digestif but I can imagine it'd work as it has those really deep, natural flavours and feel to it. Should last for ages as not a lot's needed to add to a drink, I'd recommend that everyone should add a bottle of this to their drinks cabinet

Fackelmann 37340 Chopping Board 40x26 cm Acacia Wood
Fackelmann 37340 Chopping Board 40x26 cm Acacia Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 22 Dec. 2015
This is a really nice looking board, which feels as if it's made of top quality material and looks that way too. I purchased some mineral oil to accompany it in order to maintain my board and once applied it looks ace.

Real Leather Press Stud Belt 40mm wide for Jeans etc. 40-44
Real Leather Press Stud Belt 40mm wide for Jeans etc. 40-44
Offered by HotShuffle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 22 Dec. 2015
Fab belt, exactly what I was looking for after recently purchasing a fancy buckle, ordered the wrong size at first but was easily able to return and exchange for the size I wanted. Seems to be really good quality and does the job I wanted it for brilliantly

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17