Profile for Caz > Reviews

Caz (Leics)

The Companion of His Future Life
The Companion of His Future Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Charming and Fantastic!, 15 Jan 2014
Imagine a world where Mary marries Mr Collins. How could Mr Darcy even entertain the idea of such a ridiculous man as his brother? Would things be terribly different from the way that the original Pride and Prejudice played out?

This story begins at the time of Mr Collins proposal, only this time he asks Mary. What follows is a story that is fantastically enjoyable and at times laugh out loud funny. Caldwell cleverly includes passages from the original Austen novel - though often displaced in time or spoken by different characters. It works extremely well. I'm no expert, and the language in general may not be perfectly Austen, but it reads well and to my mind, was not greatly out of place. I'm not entirely convinced that some of the characters would quite behave as they do, but it was fun thinking about them in this way.

I read it from cover to cover in a day as I just couldn't put it down (although, going to bed at 6.30am for a 7.30am start was not ideal!). If you're a fan of P&P, Darcy and Elizabeth and are prepared to be a little open minded, I'm sure that you'll love it as much as I did!

TRP0256 Troop London Medium Backpack (Khaki)
TRP0256 Troop London Medium Backpack (Khaki)

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this bag actually a tardis? It's bigger on the inside!, 10 July 2013
What a great canvas rucksack! I saw these at a cross-country event but didn't have enough cash at the time and I wanted to look at some reviews before I shelled out my hard-earned cash. So far, I feel it was money well spent!

The bag is beautifully made and finished. There isn't a loose thread in sight. The sturdy zips all function smoothly and the leather tags are easy to grasp. Not sure how this bag will last as I've only had it a week, but on first impressions, it looks like it'll be my companion for a good long time!

Buy one!

***************

Size:
I needed a bag for work, primarily for my lunch and iPad, but also for the odd occasion I need to bring a 13" macbook in. This bag is stylish and quite compact to look at, but don't let this fool you. Despite this not being the "laptop" version, it fits the macbook (in it's neoprene sleeve) in with ease, and I can still fit the iPad (also in a neoprene sleeve) inside this roomy bag. At this point, I even still have room for my packed lunch!

While on the subject of size, the main compartment of this bag will hold A4 documents. However, you won't fit one of those plastic document holders in as they are too tall. The same can be said of manilla folders (those cardboard ones).

Pockets:
There are 3 outer zipped pockets. The main pocket has your standard organiser pen and internal phone pockets. However, if you have anything bigger than a naked iPhone 5, you can forget about using it for your phone! The rest of the pocket is really deep and spacious though.

There is a flat pocket at the front. I use this to carry rudimentary medical supplies (painkillers, plasters, etc.). It's not huge but it is more than a 'design feature'.

The small top pocket is ideal for house keys, headphones and mp3 player - all at the same time!

The two pockets at the side come in useful for a small water bottle, or a drinks can and velcro shut when not needed to keep things tidy. These also have sturdy compression straps to adjust overall bag volume if needed.

Inside, there's one zipped pocket. This is the only thing that let's the bag down slightly. The pocket is a reasonable size, and is good for spare cash or cards. However, it's tricky to get into as it is on the back panel of the bag at the top. The top of the bag angles slightly downwards with the main zip more towards the front. You wouldn't really want to try and cram your wallet in if you need to get it out in a hurry!

There is also an internal slip pocket on the back panel. Ideal to stop documents moving around too much. I use it to keep the ipad and sometimes my kindle from moving around. It's not big enough for the macbook though.

Other handy points:
The shoulder straps are just wide enough (if the bag isn't overloaded) and fairly well padded for what is essentially a fashion item (aka this isn't designed for hiking, but it would try its heart out!). The bag also stands up by itself. Awesome! No having to lean against walls.

The only other thing I'd point out is that this is a sturdy, canvas bag. Canvas is not a light material, so the bag is over a kilo even when empty. This aside, it's well balance so you don't notice the weight, but it may be a consideration if you are flying and taking it as hand luggage.

The major downside? I'm now tempted to buy some of the different sizes and colours!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2014 12:28 AM BST

Logitech MX Wireless Performance Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Logitech MX Wireless Performance Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Offered by CenturionSales

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, solid performance and comfortable - but a little expensive, 21 Jun 2013
I was torn whether to give this mouse four or five stars. It's really a 4.5 - not quite perfect but not too far off. I really like this Logitech mouse. It works well on both PC (Win 7) and Mac OSX (10.8.4).

I had to replace my Microsoft Natural ergonomic mouse as the wireless adapter got fried in a power surge. This was the best "natural" alternative that I could find (I can't use the vertical ones) that was wireless, had good tracking and didn't cost the earth. Comfort wise, it's not bad. The software allows you to macro and remap any button (of which there are many). I've set one of the righthand thumb buttons to be my 'left-click' as this has reduced the rsi I was beginning to suffer in my finger.

The buttons have a nice, positive feel. One of my favourite functions is the hyper-scroll button. Has a nice click 'ratchet' when you need a positive scroll, but at the touch of a button, the wheel unlocks. This gives it the ability to spin freely - so useful for long web pages and documents that I'm not sure how I used to manage without it!

It connects via a tiny unifying adapter which is unobtrusive and what's more, if you do lose it, you can buy another for less than £10! Much better than the Microsoft way of having to buy the entire set again. If you need to improve the signal, there is an extender cable but I haven't had a problem even when used in an aluminium iMac.

It's worth pointing out that you can't connect one mouse to several adapters as I'd hoped. (You can connect several devices to one dongle...) This means that you'd have to move the dongle if you want to use the mouse on multiple devices. Not a terrific hardship but a little more faff than I'd hoped, and more chance to lose it. Unlike the Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball, it doesn't have a convenient space in the battery compartment to store the dongle while travelling which is a shame.

I'm not a 'PC' gamer - in other words, I don't really play games with a mouse and keyboard (console controller for me). This means that I can't really comment on the effectiveness of the variable dpi. However, I have found it very accurate when working in the likes PhotoShop and Illustrator on multiple high-resolution monitors.

It's a rechargeable mouse. After a full charge, the battery seems to last for a good week of 10 hour a day use at work. I normally charge it at the weekend but I think it would last a little longer. (I also turn it off overnight with the convenient switch.) The mouse comes bundled with a mains charger in a nice travel case, but you can also charge it during use by plugging it into a USB port. The case for the accessories is great, although the icing on the cake would be if the mouse had it's own travel case too!

I don't think you could go to far wrong buying this mouse if you can afford it.

IMAK Mouse Wrist Rest Support Cushion (Black)
IMAK Mouse Wrist Rest Support Cushion (Black)
Offered by PC Valet Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and cool, 21 Jun 2013
Great little wrist wrest. Actually prefer it to the gel ones as it seems comfortable over longer periods and doesn't show signs of wear as quickly. I use it to support my wrist when using a trackpad.

BoddBan® Lightning 8-Pin to Micro USB Female Converter Adapter for Apple iPhone 5 / iPad Mini / iPad 4 / iPod Touch 5th Gen / iPod Nano 7th Gen

3.0 out of 5 stars It's small, it works, but the fit on a USB cable isn't perfect, 21 Jun 2013
I've tested the converter and it works fine, both for charging and syncing the iPhone. Unlike some other after market adapters available, this one is very similar to the dimensions of the original Apple converter and it costs less than a third of the price! However, I found that the fit onto a micro USB cable wasn't perfect - there's a bit of a gap left as the male plug doesn't fit all of the way into the female adapter.

August Lion® Coffee Ultra Thin Case With Screen Protector & Stylus for Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi / 3G, 6" (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Offered by PrimeCases

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, great value!, 10 May 2013
I bought this case for my mother as I'd just persuaded her to try a Kindle Paperwhite.

She reads with the case open flat, more like with a traditional book. It works well like this but I'm not sure it would be quite so good if you wanted to fold the case back on itself. Not a problem for her, but it might be for someone else. (I like to fold my case out of the way.)

The case itself seems well made and fits like a 'very snug' glove. It provides reasonable protection to the edges, back and screen. yet doesn't add much in the way of bulk. The coffee colour looks very smart and the leatherette finish is quite classy. The magnet clasp is strong enough to hold the cover shut in most instances and works well with the magnetic sleep/wake function. (I hadn't even realised that the Paperwhite had a magnetic sleep/wake function!) This case works well and has been a godsend for my mother as she has MS and struggled to turn the Paperwhite on due to the slightly fiddly position of the on/off switch. Now all she has to do is open the case and the Kindle turns on. Fantastic.

The stylus is cheap, but does the job if you find you need to use it, although you will need to store it separately as there is no way to fix it to the case.

I personally would use the included screen protector as it is shiny and will completely detract form the benefits of the Paperwhite screen (anti-glare, paper-like surface etc). However, there is nothing 'wrong' with the screen protector, it's just that the Kindle Paperwhite is better without one in my opinion.

Overall, it's a good case at a great price and I'd recommend it (especially if you don't mind not folding it back on itself).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2013 10:14 AM BST

TT SuperBikes (PS2)
TT SuperBikes (PS2)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome realism!, 26 July 2005
This review is from: TT SuperBikes (PS2) (Video Game)
This game is nothing short of brilliant. Coming from the Isle of Man myself I can only say how amazingly realistic the course is - every turn is almost inch perfect! The only thing that isn't, is the number of windows on the houses and the fact they got my gate in the wrong place!
Playability is good too. Sure, this game is quite difficult (this just adds to the overall sense of achievement) and non-islanders may find the course hard. Heck, it's why we have the casualties we do every year! It's worth persevering though. Fun to be had by all. Pint of "Bushy's" anyone?