Profile for Sue Holmes @Crushingcinders > Reviews

Content by Sue Holmes @Cr...

Sue Holmes @Crushingcinders "Crushingcinders"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Burning Midnight
Burning Midnight
by Will McIntosh

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 29 May 2016
This review is from: Burning Midnight (Paperback)
Burning Midnight is an original, exciting story. That is until it wasn’t… The suspense built up, keeping me enthralled until near the end when the storyline began to peter out losing its fizz leaving behind a disappointing anticlimax.
@Crushingcinders

Who Are You?: With one click she found her perfect man. And he found his perfect victim. A true story of the ultimate deception.
by Megan Henley

2.0 out of 5 stars Subjective, 24 May 2016
Who Are You? is a courageous memoir of a horrific hoax and I hope that many are able to avoid a similar fate by the warning. Having said that, this was a very difficult book to like. Several times while reading I wished Ms. Henley had employed a ghost writer. It was only after I had finished the book that I discovered on Goodreads that she did so in my opinion, there is no excuse for the amateurish, clumsy writing.

Many memoirs are written to give the author an opportunity to express their innocence in the situation and Ms. Henley is portrayed in a good light which gives the story a selfish, unrealistic and subjective edge. It was easy to pick out the parts which were supposed to evoke emotion because they were repeated over and over again while the rest of the book was very slow and drawn out. I felt little of the emotion I may have with a better written book.

@crushingcinders

Hidden Monster (The Monsters Among Us Book 1)
Hidden Monster (The Monsters Among Us Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read, 15 May 2016
The first few chapters were beautifully written and had me riveted, but the story slowly declined until I was reading just because I was near the end. I thought I had a winner story in my hands with the breathtaking exciting start. Poor world building and insipid characters, combined with a slow storyline lost the plot - This was a disappointing read.

Princess of Tyrone (Fairytale Galaxy Chronicles Book 1)
Princess of Tyrone (Fairytale Galaxy Chronicles Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet & fun, 14 May 2016
Although the writing is a little juvenile and more suited younger readers than the targeted YA, this retelling of Sleeping Beauty - a combination of fantasy and sci-fi - was sweet, fun and unique.

Recoil (Recoil Trilogy Book 1)
Recoil (Recoil Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! A must read., 14 May 2016
Recoil is an unpredictable, fast-paced, exhilarating ride. While I have been avoiding dystopia lately, tired of the predictability and lack of originality I am so glad I accepted this ARC from Joanne Macgregor a well-known, talented South African author whose previous books have been amazing. Recoil did not disappoint in fact I was glued to the book as I rushed to the finish trying to pace myself so it would last.

Brilliant world building, characters that you’ll wish were your friends and a fresh, exciting storyline that will glue you to your seat. I really hope we will not have long to wait for the second book in this trilogy which promises to be one of the best YA dystopian I have read.
@crushingcinders

The Masterpiecers (Masterful Book 1)
The Masterpiecers (Masterful Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 May 2016
I so wanted to love this book. The idea behind it is brilliant and I loved the original reality show and that the main characters (identical twins) are such unreliable narrators. They kept me guessing throughout the story.

The story started off well, but about halfway through I started to feel it weaken. The plot had so many missing pieces and loose ends and not all had been revealed by the end. I kept waiting for a twist or something to give clarity to the storyline.

Alice and the Fly
Alice and the Fly
by James Rice

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 May 2016
This review is from: Alice and the Fly (Hardcover)
A steadfast, but unreliable narrator leads the reader through this heart-wrenching story.
Peppered with love, hope, secrets and lies this book latched onto me and drew me towards the ultimate conclusion where I was left dazed. A brilliant portrayal of the dissolution of family life.

Atlantis Rising
Atlantis Rising
by Gloria Craw

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 4 May 2016
This review is from: Atlantis Rising (Hardcover)
The story started off well and I loved the complex characters and the fast exciting storyline. Sadly the ending was weak and appeared rushed leaving too many loose ends.

Lilac Girls: A Novel
Lilac Girls: A Novel
by Martha Hall Kelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 4 May 2016
This review is from: Lilac Girls: A Novel (Hardcover)
The author’s extensive research is evident and her soft, subtle, understated way of storytelling spins a comforting and nostalgic cloak around the reader. But don’t be fooled into thinking this book doesn’t pack a punch, the tranquility only emphasises the enormity the impact of war has on humanity.
@crushingcinders

Tripping Back Blue (Fiction - Young Adult)
Tripping Back Blue (Fiction - Young Adult)
by Kara Storti

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow and predictable, 4 May 2016
Reading more like a contemporary novel, this dark, menacing fantasy readable. However finding the story slow and predictable and I struggled to connect to the superficial characters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17