Profile for D. Todd > Reviews

Content by D. Todd

D. Todd "faeriedrops" (near Cardiff, UK)

Green Decore 120 x 180 cm Aqua Indoor Outdoor/ Light Weight/ Reversible Eco Rug, Blue Shades
Price: 44.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rug and it can be used outdoors, 6 Mar 2014
I bought one of these rugs to use in my garden - it's a great addition to my barbecue area and is much admired by all of my friends. It's easy to clean and stands up well to outdoor use. In fact, this rug is so handy that I'm ordering another two - one for outside my backdoor to keep the dirt at bay and one for my kitchen.

Baby's World
Baby's World
by Angela Wilkes

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for babies ever, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Baby's World (Hardcover)
My youngest daughter was given this book for her first birthday and used it every single day until she was about 6 years old. She learned so much with this book - it promotes conversation and helped to teach her to talk. The realistic photos of everyday objects provide great early reference points to teach kids about themselves and their environment. As an early years teacher, I would recommend that this book is bought for every new baby - it is invaluable. We would take it out with us wherever we went and it never failed to keep my daughter occupied. Shame it's now out of print as I discovered when my first grandchild was born and I had to scour the internet to get hold of a second hand copy. If you only buy one book for baby - make sure this is the one!

Spetses Today and Yesterday
Spetses Today and Yesterday
by Yiannis Desypris
Price: 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Spetses today and yesterday, 28 July 2013
I live on the island of Spetses and this book is pretty inaccurate to say the least - that's about the kindest thing I have to say about it.

The Culture section doesn't even mention by name the sculptress Natalia Mela whose sculptures are an integral part of the attractions - the sculptures are mentioned (and one is used on the front cover which I think is a bit of a cheek if not naming the artist) with quite a bit of misinformation about the one on the cover of the book - it's a Mermaid, not a Gorgon - I thought a Greek author would at least get the mythology right! These sculptures are described in better detail here: [...]

The claim that Spetsiots "still continue the ancient craft of wood carving" is an absolute joke - the only person doing any carving on Spetses is an Englishman who specializes in carving wooden name plates for boats.

All in all, this little book is sadly out of date, mostly inaccurate and definitely not worth 12.99 - it's a 100 or so pages of photos held together by badly written and inaccurate descriptions.

QUEST OF THE DICEPTERONS   Volume 1:  The Blue People of Cloud Planet
QUEST OF THE DICEPTERONS Volume 1: The Blue People of Cloud Planet
Price: 3.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling read - looking forward to the next installment, 16 Jan 2013
This book is a thoroughly enjoyable read - it keeps its pace throughout, leading the reader on a journey through space that has enough twists and turns to ensure a rollicking good read. The plot unravels at a good pace, keeping the reader enthralled with the unfolding story. The setting is well-described, as are the blue people and their endearing way of life. The book has obviously been well-researched and thoughtfully written, providing a great story that keeps the reader entertained right to the final page. Looking forward to reading the next installment in this ongoing story.

ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever
ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever
by Jason Fried
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocking Book!, 14 July 2011
I bought this book after it was recommended to me by a young guy who is running his own successful business straight out of Uni.

The book was really cheap and delivered within 48 hours. It's actually a really useful book, very easy to read considering the genre. It is divided into easy to assimilate, bite-sized chunks, meaning you can get through it really quickly and it's easy to find bits that you want to reread later on.

I would recommend this book to anybody that's thinking of starting a business in the future. It's full of bang-up-to-date advice and information and debunks a load of the more old-fashioned business theories (like detailed 5 year plans, etc). It tells you to forget all the crap and cut straight to the chase with your business.

Kenwood CH180 Mini Chopper - 300 Watt
Kenwood CH180 Mini Chopper - 300 Watt
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Mini Chopper, 13 Aug 2010
I bought this after having bought another so-called mini food chopper online. When the first product arrived I was shocked at how big it was, immediately packed it up to return it and then ordered this product instead.

This product was at a bargain price, is compact enough for my small kitchen and is an absolulte wonder when making tapenades.

It's easy to use, and, more importantly with kitchen gadgets, easy to clean - I just have to wash the lid, the bowl and the blades. I then pack it back up into its box and pop it into the cupboard til next time I need to use it.

I would certainly recommend this product to anybody who want to be able to whizz or blend or chop small amounts of food without having a huge, intrusive piece of kit sat on the kitchen counter.

GP Recyko AAA Rechargeable NiMH Batteries (Card of 4)
GP Recyko AAA Rechargeable NiMH Batteries (Card of 4)
Offered by Go Green Batteries UK
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES, 30 Oct 2009
These items arrived really quickly and well packaged. They were to go with a charger of the same make that I'd bought on eBay (which as also delivered really quickly and was at a bargain price - 10 for charger with 4 AA batteries, free P&P). I bought these for use in my camera and MP3 player and, so far, have been really pleased with them. They charge quickly and last for a lot longer than ordinary batteries. I bought this make of battery as they came in the top 3 of the rechargeable batteries in an online Which review.
Thanks very much to seller for an excellent service. As I said, the batteries arrived within about 48 hours of purchase, they were very well-packaged and delivery was free. I would recommend buying from this seller.

And to My Nephew Albert I Leave the Island What I Won Off Fatty Hagan in a Poker Game
by David Forrest

5.0 out of 5 stars And To My Nephew Albert I Leave the Island What I Won Off Fatty Hagan in a Poker Game, 28 Sep 2008
Absolutely hilarious cold war novel. Set on a tiny island off the coast of Britain which becomes the focus of the Superpowers' armed forces.

Innovative Adornments: An Introduction to Fused Glass and Wire Jewelry
Innovative Adornments: An Introduction to Fused Glass and Wire Jewelry
by Jayne Persico
Price: 16.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Innovative Adornments by J. Persico, 6 Jan 2005
Lovely book, full of beautiful photos of glass jewellery. Lots of information on equipment (including a comprehensive chapter on kilns) and techniques used in making wire and glass jewellery. No information on using glass 'donuts' but, unusually, a whole chapter on making dress watches. Other chapters cover pendants, rings, bracelets and earrings. Would be nice if the chapter on pendants included more varied mounting techniques. All in all, a fabulous book packed with colour photographs.