Profile for Dubh > Reviews

Dubh "Mac" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Black 9" Straight Gas Lift (25-Stone Heavy-Duty Version) for an Office Chair
Black 9" Straight Gas Lift (25-Stone Heavy-Duty Version) for an Office Chair

5.0 out of 5 stars Black 9" Straight Gas Lift 25-Stone Heavy-Duty Version, 9 April 2013
Has done the job, I needed to use a bit more persuasion to get the old lift out than suggested on the included instructions but as the chair had been in daily use for a few years by ..... shall we diplomatically say a larger person, thats understandable. Once the old lift was out the replacement took seconds to fit. Some handy vids on the net to show how to get stubborn old lifts out but the supplier, chellgrove, do give a contact number if your having trouble.

Jimmy and the Crawler (Novella Edition)
Jimmy and the Crawler (Novella Edition)
by Raymond E. Feist
Price: 10.65

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 2 Mar 2013
Like others I was looking forward to this when I read it was to be published as I always felt there was a chunk missing from the crawler story line. I was looking for completion to it and this book gives it....... badly. Thats being kind, very.
It starts off fine. Nice pace, but I had the "oh oh" sense that 144 pages could not be a good sign. I was right. You can read this start to finish in about 2 hours. Obviously the quality of a book should never be measured in its length but in this case is a fair indication.
How it reads to me RF had the start of the book penned a good few years ago and decided a few months back to finish it...overnight. Its almost as if 80% of the way through a door slams shut and the story line and effort goes to the 4 winds.
Sorry, its poor, poor, poor. It will tell you what happened to Jazhara and with the crawler situation but I think many will feel cheated and disappointed.

Vortex V2 Black Mini Tower Case - (Micro-ATX)
Vortex V2 Black Mini Tower Case - (Micro-ATX)

5.0 out of 5 stars Octigen CM-431 Mini Tower Case - Good buy, 1 Dec 2012
Over the years I have bought so many cases that I am not normally moved to put in a review. But this one has surprised me. TBH I bought this as I could not find a case that ticked all the boxes for what I wanted for a build, but I had all my parts delivered and wanted a home for them to check they were working and be safe. I got this case with the intent that it would be a temporary home until I decided on a better one. So the driver for getting this case was its price.
Well the person I was building it for likes the case and I must admit so do I, big surprise.

Takes a full ATX PSU.
Has plenty of drive bays.
Rounded and deburred edges inside, no cuts or scratches anyway.
Pretty rigid - not the best grade of steel but far from the worst.
The front USB and audio connections are each on single plug units, so no fiddling with individual headers which is something missing from some cases I've bough with much higher price tags, nice touch.
Thumb screws at the back for quick in and out.
Screws and standoffs supplied, enough for mounting a few drives.
Good cooling options.

All in all this has been a good buy. If I had checked it out in a shop I would not have blinked if the price tag was 30+ so at this price (I paid 18.41) I think its a bit of a bargain.

Protector C Large 5 Litre All Insects Insecticidal Surface Spray
Protector C Large 5 Litre All Insects Insecticidal Surface Spray
Offered by Sales Direct Online
Price: 26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, 8 Jun 2012
Product instructions were easy to follow. Came with a spray fitting that could be used directly on the tub which I did not realise so that saved me buying a spray applicator. No lasting smell or staining on carpets. Got for a moth problem, which after only a few days seems to have disappeared totally but I am aware that I need to re apply in about a month or so to complete the treatment. So far so good.

Thermaltake TPX-675M Toughpower XT 675W ATX Power Supply - Bronze
Thermaltake TPX-675M Toughpower XT 675W ATX Power Supply - Bronze
Offered by Computer Technology Stoke Limited & InternetCT
Price: 86.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid piece of kit, 24 April 2012
I'm a bit of a thermaltake fan as I have never had a problem with them. This replaced a unit that had run for (I think) about 8 years due to a system upgrade, with no issues and which is now in a second rig with my older motherboard.
The contents are superb, plenty of everything needed and clear instructions plus a storage bag.
Faff aside, it's quiet, which is what I wanted as I like a really quiet workplace. I work with my system on a shelf about 16 inches away from my ear and there is no noise I can pick up off this PSU. None. Period.
Cables are a bit stiff but not a problem even in my media system case with a bit of thought. All my rails are soild even with some clocking so I am a happy bunny with this PSU. If I needed another rig this series would be my choice.

A Quick edit: I paid 69.57 from amazon in feb 2012, at the time of my review its 110 I never spotted that it had gone up so much in price. I'd want gold standard for that sort of cash. Happy to pay what I did but I cant honestly say its worth 110 when looking at some higher spec PSU's in the 100+ range.

Hell In A Handbasket
Hell In A Handbasket
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 3.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A real grower, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Hell In A Handbasket (Audio CD)
I rather enjoy this album. For me at first listen I was not convinced but its a real grower. I find overtones of some of the early albums, bad attitude, lost and found and such. There is a fair bit of contrast between tracks and within the songs themselves, which, for me, works very well. I cant say now there is a track I dislike.
Its not Bat, (nothing ever will be) but it is an accomplished album, strange to say but its almost mature. There has been mention in some reviews to Meats voice not being as good as it was, well its not. Who's would be after all these years? I've been in the crowd when he threw away the mike and we all still heard him, latterly not so powerful, but again then if I was the same as I was when I was in my 30's my wife would have a very harassed look about her face ;-) But it is still good for studio recordings, this being one of them.
A surprise track for me was California dreaming, at first I really disliked it, TBH I skipped it more often than not but as time has progressed it has grown on me much like Metallicas whisky in the jar as compared to Lizzys own. Its not the original but its not trying to be a clone cover.
I digress. I suppose the bottom line on anything is "would I buy this again if the album needed replaced"? In a heartbeat.
Its not a solid grut rock album but by god it does sound good with the volume up and I look forward to the rumoured "Hot holidays" this xmas.

A Crown Imperilled (The Chaoswar Saga, Book 2) (Midkemian Trilogy 2)
A Crown Imperilled (The Chaoswar Saga, Book 2) (Midkemian Trilogy 2)
by Raymond E. Feist

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but..., 31 Mar 2012
Must admit I enjoyed the book, some old friends back. Not his best but not his worse, I often find that the books I've found weaker (with a noticeable exception or two) are reinforced by the books that come after. Normally I'd give this one 4 stars but..... well, as has been said there are some bad errors in this edition. Which did make me wonder about my concentration level and had to flip back a few chapters to make sure I was not going dafter than usual. For a change I was not.

It is still an enjoyable Feist romp, I think I can work out what the story was meant to be with the swapping of the characters. It did not detract too much for me and TBH I've become quite adept at working out/ ignoring errors in the books over the last few years. I agree that the continuity errors should not have slipped and do wonder if it would be better for a few Feist fans to be used as proof readers.
So to save further waffle, for me its good and as for the errors in this edition, who would not want a copy of the adulterers Bible in their book collection?

Good and enjoyable but would be better if it was the final story as intended thus the middling rating.

Sorbothane Full Strike 8
Sorbothane Full Strike 8
Offered by Mobility Smart
Price: 18.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 24 Oct 2010
This review is from: Sorbothane Full Strike 8
Got these to see if they would help with a bad knee. Been using for a couple of months now and my knee only gets sore now when I use boots without them in for a few days, so the unscientific test suggests that they work for that. Also find my feet are getting less tired. Will be getting more for my other footware.

Marmitek Powermid XL Wireless IR Extension System
Marmitek Powermid XL Wireless IR Extension System

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, 24 Oct 2010
Does what it says on the tin, slight lag between press and action but once you addapt to that its more than fine. Delivered quickly by Keen. Well worth the money.

Ilyama E2407HDS 24 inch Wide LCD 1080p DVI HDMI MM Monitor - Black
Ilyama E2407HDS 24 inch Wide LCD 1080p DVI HDMI MM Monitor - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 24 Oct 2010
Very hapy with this, sound not as good as external speakers but never expect that to be the case. Colour needs a tweak for photo editing but thats nearly always what happens unless you want to pay 3 times the price.
Would buy this again tomorrow with hindsight, no regrets.

Page: 1 | 2