Profile for David A. Nelson > Reviews

Content by David A. Nelson

David A. Nelson "Dewey56" (Edinburgh, UK)

Heaven and Earth
Heaven and Earth
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Wickham's found his sound, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Heaven and Earth (Audio CD)
I really think Phil Wickham has outdone himself on this new record. Featuring everything from soaring synths to delicate picking, the album packs a lot in but still manages to come together well. Wickham has an ear for melody and a heart for God. His lyric are poignant, while his delivery is sincere. Anyone who's heard his music will already know that his voice is really something special - a fact that this album showcases to good effect.

My favourite tracks right now are 'coming alive', 'hold on', and 'i'll always love you', though its hard to single any out. My advice to prospective buyers is to get this album immediately!

The Pleasures of God
The Pleasures of God
by John Piper
Price: 10.43

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning portait of the pure, passionate affections of an awesome God, 30 April 2009
This review is from: The Pleasures of God (Paperback)
John Piper's God is distinctive in contemporary Christianity for, among other things, his sheer enormity. In this book Piper manages to make the most God-centred exposition of a number of topics (most notably the gospel) that I have ever come across. It is refreshing, life-affirming and, above all, God glorifying. If you want a comfy, man-centred theology look elsewhere: this one was written to change you. To demonstrate this, I'm going to quote the review from the American amazon that convinced me to buy the book in the first place (hopefully that isn't illegal):

"I have to admit, when I first read this book, I wanted to throw it across the room. But earnestly searching scriptures (with the intent to prove the book wrong), I was forced to unhappily conclude that Piper was completely on the ball. Then the most amazing thing happened: as I reread the book with a heart of faith, my disturbed state of mind gave way to a liberating joy in the good news of the sovereign God who is infinitely worthy and glorious beyond our wildest imaginations. I've always known that God is big, but Piper's expositions have been the lynchpin to my realization that God is BIG; truly one whose ways are above our ways and whose thoughts are above our thoughts. And in light of this, the deep love of Jesus has become even more amazing to me: how such a God could love and die for sinners such as us."

What a testimony! This is what this book can awaken in you. Piper's commitment to biblical Christianity and passion for the renown of his sovereign, happy God are breathtaking. Buy it. Read it. Share it. Rejoice.

Your Best Life Now Devotional
Your Best Life Now Devotional
by Joel Osteen

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly horrendous, 31 Mar 2009
I really really really don't want to be ungracious, but I have to be honest as well and the truth is that this is one of the most ignorant books I've ever come across. It is clear from the outset (the title in fact) that Osteen does not know what he is talking about. "Your best life now"!? It amazes me that someone so influential can be so ignorant. Surely, if you are a Christian, you believe your best life will be in heaven?

As for the contents of the book they exhibit all the trademarks of, as one other reviewer put it, "new age self-determinism in a Christian wrapper." If you are a Christian, please think about what you are reading in this book. Does it really reflect our guilt in sin, and Christ's gift of redemption - does it share the Christian teaching of our utter impotence in sin, that our salvation belongs solely to the Lord, or just that quintessential American nonsense: manifest destiny?

Osteen has stated publicly that he does not like using scripture. It's quite apparent that at least in this he is not lying.

Who Moved the Stone?
Who Moved the Stone?
by Frank Morison
Price: 5.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing the Point, 11 Mar 2009
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
I think enough has been said of the merits of this book, so instead of repeating other reviewers I'll just attempt a brief rebuttal of the negative reviews.

They seem to suggest that this books weakness is circular reasoning. This, I submit, is not truly a weakness, though it may be seen as an obstacle. I say this because, to my mind, sometimes circular reasoning cannot be got around (no pun intended). How can you prove to me that your legs exist? By showing me of course! But that, I'm afraid to say, is apparently not a valid argument according to the negative reviewers. It too is circular, because you can only show me your legs if they exist! You'll find that all other approaches to this problem are also circular. Nevertheless, nobody will fault you for believing someone else has legs (or that you have,for that matter). This may seem out of the way, but I think its the same with the new testament. The way to validate its claims is to assess its own reliability. Once this is established there is nothing standing in the way of it authenticating itself, circular though this is.

This is common practice. A historian analysing an ancient text will, among other things, assess it on its own merits in an attempt to authenticate it. I see no reason why this cannot be attempted here. In fact I think the exercise has proven very fruitful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2011 5:48 PM BST

FINALLY ALIVE
FINALLY ALIVE
by John Piper
Price: 7.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal-clear Exposition, 10 Mar 2009
This review is from: FINALLY ALIVE (Paperback)
I really cannot tell you how good this book is. It fills a gap in the market and presents a much-maligned (not to mention neglected) aspect of Christianity in a light that is both profound and inspiring.

If you are not a Christian but are searching and are genuinely interested in what the Bible really teaches on conversion then this book is really a must-read. Likewise, if you're a Christian this book can be of much use as spiritual food, particularly in strengthening one's assurance of salvation.

A final caveat: this book is devoid of a discussion of the Cross. It is not about the reason for all conversions (justification by faith), rather it concerns the mechanics of individual conversion. That latter term is perhaps unflattering - the new birth is much more than mechanics, there is a glory and a grandeur in it that should not be overlooked - though, I'm sure you know what I mean. If you are interested in the Cross (as well, I suppose, you should be) I'd refer you to John Stott's seminal work The Cross of Christ or, for an easier read, the sermons of Martyn Lloyd Jones on the subject (compiled in The Cross).

Now don't get the wrong idea about this. Piper is in no way denying the Cross, nor indeed would he even think of such a thing. It is just that this book is, as I have said, exclusively about one specific aspect of salvation.

All in all, then, I commend this book highly and think it would be well worth your time and money.