Profile for Rolling in dough > Reviews

Gluten-Free and Vegan Bread
Gluten-Free and Vegan Bread
by Jennifer Katzinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous resource!, 16 Nov. 2012
I, and several of my friends, have found this book utterly inspiring. What a fabulous resource! Until the birth of my daughter (and my friends' babies) not one of us had ever been particularly vigilant about eating a gluten free or vegan diet, though we were familiar with the health benefits to planet and self that following such diets can create. However, once our babies arrived and seemed to be struggling with digestion (all of us breast feed our babies), we were each of us instructed to eliminate gluten, dairy, and refined sugar from our diets, which we did with obvious positive results for our babies. Not used to cooking for an exclusively vegan and gluten free diet, this book has been such a godsend at this time: delicious bread recipes for our whole family to enjoy! My daughter, now 16 months, loves to eat the breads we bake from this book, and it is fun to have her help with the baking, especially as there is no raw egg involved.

Now, please do not let this prejudice you against me, but I love a slice of fresh glutinous bread, ideally of organic and locally grown wheat, the brown bits removed, and lathered with some organic salty butter! So I felt a bit dubious about embarking on this book, but then the author's introduction on the science and art of baking with gluten free grains gripped me like a juicy novel. Her sharing of her understanding of how to successfully bake with gluten free flours seems downright generous given that her work in this field is pioneering, and the section exploring the trace minerals found in all of the grains included in the recipes made me feel so excited to begin. Some of the ingredients have been challenging to track down, but between my two local 'health food' stores, I' ve found they either stock them or have been happy to order them in especially, so it is worth asking if you struggle to find any of the ingredients. Also, I seem incapable of following any recipe in any book letter for letter, preferring to use them as a springboard, and the spirit of this book seems to embrace that, with enough background technique explained so that you cannot go too far astray. Perhaps most importantly, my family and I have found the recipes we have made from this book delicious, and we feel good when we eat them! Our sincere gratitude to the author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2013 10:54 PM BST