Profile for Cookery lover > Reviews

Content by Cookery lover

Cookery lover (Ireland)

Lisbon Marco Polo City Map (Marco Polo City Maps)
Lisbon Marco Polo City Map (Marco Polo City Maps)
by Marco Polo
Edition: Map

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not use it, 23 Feb. 2015
We found this map unreadable, it is so small scale. Useless for the historic centre of Lisbon unless you have a powerful magnifying glass; perhaps could be used to locate approximate location of a street in outer Lisbon where the streets aren't so dense. We left it in the hotel and used the map from the tourist information office instead. Total waste of money for us.

Lemix (BX1) Travel Charger for specific SONY CYBER-SHOT DSC & HDR models + UK/EU/USA & car adaptor.
Offered by 4Value

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 12 Jun. 2014
Using this for a Sony RX100 2 and it works well - have used for a whole holiday. Excellent product so far.

The Man Who Forgot His Wife
The Man Who Forgot His Wife
by John O'Farrell

2.0 out of 5 stars Chick-lit; not very funny., 13 Mar. 2013
Be prepared for a subpar chick-lit, rom-com style that can seriously grate - I nearly gave up after two chapters but persisted because I didn't have another book handy. Have had to give up now, though, three-quarters of the way through. The author seems to be trying desperately to make every sentence funny, but falls flat on many occasions - the bits where he describes the dog's shameful thoughts as it watches people eating are a particularly unfunny low point. I'm surprised at so many good reviews: seems to often be the case with journalists, for some reason. Approach with extreme caution if you don't like the typical pink-covered, chick-lit type books; you probably won't like this.

Alys, Always
Alys, Always
by Harriet Lane

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough read but not gripping, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Alys, Always (Paperback)
This book has been over-hyped: reviewers seemed to be in a frenzy about how brilliant this story is but I was decidedly underwhelmed. I expected a more complex, Machiavellian narrator than the dull Frances, who just seems to be a less than averagely interesting woman who decides to take advantage of the relatively extraordinary circumstances that come her way. She is definitely not a memorable "voice" or fascinating narrator, by any means. I agree with other posters in that this really is not a psychological thriller. A third of the way in I was exasperated and bored with the lack of action, and I found the last scene to be pat and a bit of a cop-out. Don't buy on the strength of the reviews (I'm thinking the author must be the one with the fab contacts in publishing..), but do pick it up if you see it in a charity shop as it's an OK short read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 3:57 PM GMT

The Guilt-free Gourmet - Indulgent recipes without sugar, wheat or dairy
The Guilt-free Gourmet - Indulgent recipes without sugar, wheat or dairy
by Jordan Bourke

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, great results so far, 2 Jan. 2013
This book is beautifully produced and every single recipe has a photo of the finished dish. There are very few pages wasted on either annoying photos of the authors (as with celeb chef books) or useless ones of raw ingredients. So far I have produced the Spelt Bread on page 20 and the Beetroot Burgers on page 90. The bread was the easiest I've ever made and looked and tasted great; the burgers were a huge success also - unusual, but the best veggie burgers I've ever made.
Since first posting this review I have now also made the butternut squash falafel - really good results.
This is a sugar-free cookbook, but I do feel the authors may have over-compensated with sugar subsitutes: I wouldn't want or need to add agave syrup to sausages and mash or lasagna, as they do here, or maple syrup to vegetable fritters, or one and a half cups of xylitol to the carrot cake. They may have over-estimated their demographic's need for sweetness. But these sweeteners can be left out (not sure if it would affect the cakes?), and this does not in any way spoil enjoyment of the book - and it does give interesting ideas on avoiding the sue of refined sugar in general. Personally I don't have a sweet tooth but the addition of these sweeteners might be very useful for others: those with young kids, health problems etc.
Highly recommended.

Amelia Dyer: Angel Maker: The Woman Who Murdered Babies for Money
Amelia Dyer: Angel Maker: The Woman Who Murdered Babies for Money
by Alison Rattle

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been more emotive?, 4 May 2011
I really enjoyed this book (despite the sad subject) and found it quite unputdownable, but I thought that the authors missed a chance to make it more atmospheric and to evoke a stronger feeling of the age when it occurred. It is very factual and journalistic, and in many ways you don't need much embellishment of the horrific facts: they speak for themselves. However, the reader does become inured to the countless, very black-and-white "another infant body found" descriptions: the authors could have woven more of a human story around the tales of the lost babies (see Sian Rees "The Floating Brothel" for a masterclass in creating stories around the long-dead forgotten poor), and also given more of a sense of the era. I felt it had the emotion leached out of it by the bare stating of the facts: as a result the numbers of lost infants did start to feel meaningless after a while.
An excellently-researched great read, though.

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCHX1 Digital Camera - Black (9.1MP 20x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

3.0 out of 5 stars Image quality not as bad as online reviews suggest, 26 Feb. 2010
Like many people I became very concerned after ordering this product that the image quality would be terrible (see majority of photography sites online).
I have since developed a batch of prints (taken using the camera's automatic settings) in 4x6.5, 10x7 and A4 sizes, to test the quality.
For a non-professional photographer, they're absolutely fine. Taking travel photos is my hobby, mostly landscapes and architecture, but I'm no expert. I am quite obsessive about quality of photos, however. When I ordered the 10x7 and the A4 prints on Photobox, I was given a "low quality" warning. I ordered anyway, expecting the worst. I now have the prints, and they are of display quality, i.e. I would happily frame them. On close inspection there is some very slight mushiness in the foreground, with edges not quite as sharp as I would expect. The rest is sharp. Details taken using the zoom, such as a tiny hut on an island miles away, are stunning.
So please don't despair if you're a "layperson" who's just ordered this camera - the quality is nowhere near as bad as you're led to believe.