Profile for Frederick Graham > Reviews

Content by Frederick Graham

Frederick Graham (Whitley bay, Tyne and Wear, The UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
**BIGGER VERSION** EightOnes VR Kit XL - The Complete Google Cardboard Kit with 1-Year Guarantee, NFC, Exclusive Content and Head-strap - Inspired by Google Cardboard and Oculus Rift to Turn Smartphones into 3D Virtual Reality Headsets (XL, Jet Black)
Offered by 81 Brands

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent VR experience, but lazy and uninspired design by EightOnes, 27 Jan. 2016
The overall VR experience brought by google cardboard is quite impressive, but I have several criticisms of this product. While the £11 ( at time of purchase) cost of this headset is well worth the experience, EightOnes themselves haven't done much but clone the google cardboard blueprints, and for the outlay the product itself seems lacking in several ways:

- The headset is very uncomfortable to wear; around the nose region in particular no effort has been made to make a comfortable bridge for the nose. As such you have a 90 degree angle cutting straight into your nose.

- The lens sizes on this (the XL) version don't actually seem to account for the size of the screen as they should; items around the periphery are hard to pick up or not there.

- The materials degrade very quickly; I've had this for two days now and several sections are starting to flex and show signs of giving way.

- The fit and finish is very poor. For example the tab for fitting for the splitter screen between the two halves of the screen would not stay seated, the product wouldn't have worked at all out of the box (or sleeve in this case) without fixing. This would be fine for a £2-3 set shipped from china, but for what these people are charging it feels pretty ridiculous.

Overall this seems little better than a cheap cardboard ripoff of the google cardboard blueprints. The VR experience is great, but it feels like EightOnes are just trying to make an easy buck by stamping out some clone copies and selling them as a premium product.

Atdoshop(TM) Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad + Receiver Kit for Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500
Offered by Malloom®

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, works flawlessly, 22 Nov. 2015
Works flawlessly, I really see no reason why to spend and more. The only issue is that shipping takes a long time (3 weeks +) as these are shipped from China.

Gerber Bear Grylls Scout Clip Serrated Edge Folding Knife - Grey, 4-Inch
Gerber Bear Grylls Scout Clip Serrated Edge Folding Knife - Grey, 4-Inch

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor fit and finish, unsafe locking mechanism and overpriced., 22 Nov. 2015
I have a few criticisms of this knife:

Firstly do not take the 4" description to mean a 4 inch (10cm) blade. The blade is 8cm, and the product description is very lacking.

Secondly the release for the blade is in the small indentation on the back of the handle. This means the knife requires two hands to close, whereas other knives I have with the catch by a bar inside the handle can be closed with one hand. Most crucially however the location of the release on this knife means you have to have your fingers in the way when the blade starts to close. That really is extremely poor safety.

Thirdly, the it and finish is not great. The knife is very stiff to open, therefore also requiring two hands for opening, doesn't open smoothly. There are little marks from where the grip has been moulded also.

Overall: poor fit and finish, poor - verging on dangerous - design and hugely overpriced. I would recommend some further research and to not buy this knife.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2015 7:47 PM GMT

Kobwa(TM) Aluminium Alloy Keychain Key Tag Chain Ring Bottle Opener,Black With Keyring
Offered by eFuture.SR

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further for a keyring bottle-opener., 28 Oct. 2015
It does it's job well. With use and wear and tear against the keys the finish does rub a little, but not much.

It's compact, very easy and effective to use.

Winning the War on Drugs: To Legalise or Not? (Hobart Paper)
Winning the War on Drugs: To Legalise or Not? (Hobart Paper)
by Richard Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great summary for Economists or Non-Economists, 28 Oct. 2015
I read this whilst studying a Legal Economics for my BSc in Economics.

It's extremely insightful and packs into a very short read the key arguments as well wider evidence and supporting theories against drug prohibition. It's still very relevant today and I don't know of a better summary of the arguements against prohibition.

I even purchased a copy for my stepfather who shares the view that prohibition has been ineffective and desired to understand the theoretical arguments evaluating it's effectiveness. It's a surprisingly easy read, as are many publications from the institute for economic affairs, marrying a rigorous theoretical explanation with easy language and good accessibility for the layman.

Magnetic 4.7mm Cross Head Tip Phillips Screwdriver Hand Tool
Magnetic 4.7mm Cross Head Tip Phillips Screwdriver Hand Tool
Offered by Fly Service

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, does the job, 28 Oct. 2015
I was expecting some cheap rubbish, but this is actually a quite well made piece of kit. Highly recommended, very good for my PC toolkit.

Grado Adaptor Cable 6.3mm to 3.5mm (15cm Length)
Grado Adaptor Cable 6.3mm to 3.5mm (15cm Length)
Offered by HifiHut

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems expensive, but well worth the money, 28 Oct. 2015
I have an old headset (Sennheiser 595's) with a 6.3mm jack requiring an adaptor to 3.5mm. Normally it's a case of these expensive cables being a rip off, such as high end hdmi cables, but in this case it really isn't.

I burned through a half dozen cheap £2 - £3 adaptors and kept getting a bad connection, one headset flickering in and out if the cable moved. I got this cable and have never had and problems for 18 months, and I seriously doubt I ever will again.

It seems that in this case it really is you get what you pay for. Definitely money much better spent than the same £15 on a half dozen rubbish adaptors.

CiT U35HD01 2.5 inch/3.5 inch USB 2.0 SATA Docking Station
CiT U35HD01 2.5 inch/3.5 inch USB 2.0 SATA Docking Station
Offered by Techoffers UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good build quality, good functionality, highly recommended, 20 Oct. 2015
I'm very happy with this. At the time of purchasing it was the cheapest 3.5" and 2.5" compatible dock on amazon, so I was expecting something relatively cheap. Actually the build quality is excellent, heavy moulded plastic and sleek black aluminium.

I was also pleasantly surprised with the functionality. In particular the dock registers itself as a hotswap bay and then you can plug and pay hard drives as you like. The connection is also rock-solid, I had no problems with my laptop droppin the connection. I mention this because adapter cable kit's I've owned have been problematic with this, especially where they draw power from a pair of USB ports as opposed to a wall socket.

So yes, highly recommended.

Gigabyte GM-M6800 - Mouse - optical - 5 buttons - wired - USB - noble black(GM-M6800)
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value mouse I ever bought, 26 April 2012
I bought this three years ago as a cheap, quick stop-gap measure after my expensive branded wireless mouse started acting up. I loved it so much that I never stopped using it and it just gave in after years of abuse.

Unless you're looking for serious gaming gear, this will almost certainly furfill your needs perfectly. The five-button design allows for effortless browsing, the design is large and comfortable and the DPI switch encompasses 800 and 1600 DPI settings, higher setting I found I never needed, even in the huge amount of gaming hours this thing has clocked.

One thing I should mention is that - although the overall build quality is excellent, especially at this price point - the top plastic layer can peel if you were to angrily claw at the mouse for... whatever reason. This easily clicks back into place though and overall this mouse is the most game-rage resistant I've ever owned, having had the plastic peeled off sand reattached 30+ times and once actually being lit on fire.

So, to summarise this mouse occupies the perfect price/quality/features point in my opinion. I thoroughly recommend it to basically anyone for all purposes; home use, office use (I've seen this model used at work) and even to the vast majority of gamers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2012 2:08 AM BST

Hama PC Tool Kit (Professional)
Hama PC Tool Kit (Professional)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice, 26 Dec. 2011
Thanks to some coughing and pointing I got this as a thank you for repairing the PC of a family friend. I've found it extremely useful. The size is ideal and many crucial items are included, such as a tube for screws, wire cutters, needle-nose pliers and a small phillips-head suitable for dismantling laptops as well as some nice additions such as a screw-grabbing thingie.

To be honest though I found this kit both lacking in many things that I consider crucial for it's described applications and often lacking in quality. I was dissatisfied with the quality of the main screwdriver, which I replaced with a reliable phillips-head (you almost never need anything else, better that than a cheap multi-tool), the torch is laughable and was also replaced. I ditched the small flat-head screwdriver, both sets of tweezers (really useless quality here too) and added an antistatic bag (3.5" HDD size), a USB stick with diagnostic and start-up software, a syringe of heatsink paste and of course an antistatic wrist band - all of which I regularly use and consider crucial. The handle on the pliers has required some patching with PVC tape too, so I've ended up dumping or replacing about half of this kit.

So why 4 stars? Well the case (faux leather) is great. I may have needed to replace/ add stuff to this kit but the bands have always happily catered to my additions. Also, for £15 I think this kit includes enough decent tools and if you're willing to spend about the same again you can easily add the things I've talked about above. With a few modifications I actually find this kit ideal and reliable in practice. I've seen more expensive kits and really all they seem to do is add more stuff you don't really need and be less portable.

Overall I really like this kit. I still think hama has a way to go yet to better understand what is and isn't actually needed for PC tinkering and some of the tools aren't of fantastic quality but ultimately this kit is the most compact and suited kit to the realistic needs of a PC builder that I'm aware of.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5