Profile for Mr. R. Cottrell > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Cottrell

Mr. R. Cottrell "Barraboy" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Microlabs FC330 Model 2.1 System Speaker
Microlabs FC330 Model 2.1 System Speaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap at twice the price...or even three time the price!, 30 Jan 2014
I am absolutely amazed at what good value this speaker system is. At under £45 and with free delivery from Amazon you just can't beat it.

I didn't want a full hi-fi in my bedroom and had originally installed a set of Creative T40 speakers so I could play music from my mobile phone and Nexus 7 using a Sony SBH20 bluetooth adapter. Even though the T40s are almost twice the price of the FS330 they are no match in terms on the quality of sound and they lack bass and warmth. The T40s were then replaced by an old Altec Lansing ACS295 2.1 speaker set I bought over 10 years ago but this set was getting on a bit, had no power switch for the bass unit (which had an annoying buzz even when the satellites were powered off) and one of the satellite speakers was a bit 'iffy'.

I'm quite fussy about music quality, didn't want to spend too much money on speakers for the bedroom and needed something fairly compact. Having spent a lot of time reading reviews for various 2.1 speaker systems I thought I'd give the FS330 a try and I'm glad I did.

The good points.
This speaker system feels well made. There is decent weight to the units and the finish is of a good quality. Installation is simple and the set was up and running in a couple of minutes. My initial impression was that the sound quality was good although the volume was somewhat muted. I'd read that these speakers need a bit of 'breaking in' before they really start to perform. They've had about 10 hours of use so far and they definitely sound clearer with a noticeable improvement in the mid-range. Even at maximum volume there is no discernible distortion.

The bad points.
There are no bad points to this speaker set at this price. There are a few things that could be improved but they really are trivial. Moving the power switch to the front of the bass unit would make access much easier. The same goes for the bass adjuster. Longer leads on the satellite speakers would also be helpful although for a couple of quid it's easy enough to extend them .

Overall I am genuinely impressed with these speakers. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone and I don't regret my purchase. Buy them. You won't be disappointed.

Belkin 2-Port USB 3.0 Internal Bus Port PCI-E Card
Belkin 2-Port USB 3.0 Internal Bus Port PCI-E Card
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent performer, 26 Dec 2012
I paid £12.99 including delivery for this card. It arrived quickly and was easy to install. Performance is excellent, transferring 22GB of files from my PC to this drive in just under 4 minutes.

Please note that the power connector cable included with the card is a 4-pin molex so you'll need to buy an adapter if your PSU only has SATA power connectors.

Overall, an excellent USB 3.0 card.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2013 10:25 AM BST

WebPlus X5 Resource Guide
WebPlus X5 Resource Guide
by Serif Europe Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars A handy guide......for beginners, 12 Mar 2012
Having already bought the Serif WebPlus x5 software and used it for a few weeks I thought I would take up Serif's offer of a £20 discount to get a copy of this book for £9.95 including delivery.

I must admit that I'm somewhat disappointed with this book. There doesn't appear to be any information in it that isn't already available free on the internet either as Serif video tutorials or through various forums. More than a third of the book seems to be devoted to displaying the themes/styles etc. available in WebPlus x5 rather than providing information on how to actually use the product. Anyone who is already using the WebPlus software would probably, like me, gain very little benefit from buying this book. For those people who are thinking of purchasing the WebPlus software then this book could be useful in giving them an idea of the software's capabilities. If you don't need a physical copy of of the book then you can download if from the Serif website for a lot less money.

On a more positive note, the WebPlus x5 software is excellent and I consider it to be fantastic value for money. Serif's online support has also been very good on the occasions that I have used it.

Black & Decker Powered Adjustable Auto Wrench
Black & Decker Powered Adjustable Auto Wrench
Offered by Pharmacy Place

2.0 out of 5 stars Spend your money on something better, 27 Oct 2011
1. Asthmatic performance in cold weather.
2. Eats batteries, particularly if kept in a toolbox as it doesn't appear to be possible to lock the rocker switch to prevent accidental activation.
3. Weak motor results in weak grip on nuts/bolts so plenty of opportunity to round-off the edges of nuts and bolts as well as removing skin off knuckles if working in a confined space.
4. If you manually tighten the wrench (see point 3 for reason why this can be necessary) the motor doesn't have the strength to loosen the wrench again.

On a more positive note this wrench is aesthetically quite pleasing.

Overall a fairly pointless product and a waste of batteries in my humble opinion.

OXFORD TAX HAVEN ESSENTIAL TAX DISC HOLDER CARBON
OXFORD TAX HAVEN ESSENTIAL TAX DISC HOLDER CARBON
Offered by Kestrel Honda

3.0 out of 5 stars Chunky but flakey, 18 April 2011
I bought one of these (not from Amazon - sorry)for my motorcycle a couple of months ago but left fitting it until my current tax disc expired as that disc was attached to the screen using an anti-tamper holder.

At first I was quite impressed with the Oxford tax disc holder. It feels very solid (i.e. quite heavy) and could be described as chunky. Fitting the tax disc into the holder it quite simple. Remove the 6 nuts from the allen bolts and the holder splits. Pop in the tax disc and then reassemble making sure that the sealing ring is correctly located in the groove. The nuts are of the nyloc type so although the holder comes with an allen key you will need a suitably sized spanner to stop the nuts turning when you tighten them.

Why only 3 stars? Well, the holder is a bit on the heavy side and is a bit too chunky for my liking. The biggest problem is the ease with which the paint flakes off the holder. I certainly wouldn't describe the coating as tough. By the time I'd finished reassembling the holder I had a couple of noticeable chips out of the paint. I know this is my fault but the paint really does come off far too easily.

Overall, a solid product with a questionable finish.

Mil-Com EU Military Cutlery Set - 6 Function
Mil-Com EU Military Cutlery Set - 6 Function

4.0 out of 5 stars Has all the bits you need but...., 1 April 2011
This is a great knife/fork/spoon set. It feels nice and sturdy and includes a can/bottle opener as well as a corkscrew.

The spoon and fork detach from the plastic holder and the knife folds out from the holder making it really easy to use.

The only problem with this item is that I don't think it's legal to carry it in public in the UK due to the size of the (very sharp) locking blade. I should have read the reviews before I bought it even though I only intend to use it for camping trips. Having said that, I have dismatled the knife, modified the blade to reduce it to below 3" and disabled the locking mechanism so I believe it is now legal to be in posession of in a public place. It was a lot of messing considering the price of the set but worth it.

atFoliX HTC HD2 (T8585) Screen Protector - FX-Clear crystal clear
atFoliX HTC HD2 (T8585) Screen Protector - FX-Clear crystal clear
Offered by @FoliX GmbH

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best screen protector I have used (so far), 2 Mar 2011
Having used a number of other makes of screen protector on other (touch screen and non touch screen) I think that this is the best protector I have come across so far.

Applying the protector was fairly easy, the most difficult bit being to get the alignment perfect at the top of the screen so the button cut-out matches the buttons at the bottom of the screen. It might have been easier to fit the protector starting at the bottom of the screen but there is a handy tab at the top of the protector backing to make it easy to separate the protector from the backing and I didn't want to completely remove the backing before fitting.

I would definitely use Folix screen protectors again.

The Men Who Stare At Goats [DVD] [2009]
The Men Who Stare At Goats [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit pants really, 19 July 2010
Maybe I just didn't get the clever, dark humour of this film. Of course, maybe there wasn't any and it is simply not a funny film.

Sure there were a few amusing moments and the film did seem to poke a bit of fun at the new age kind of hippy stuff, Iraq war, etc. but not in a particularly amusing or intellectual way. References in the film to 'Jedi' (the Ewan McGregor link) fall way short of being even vaguely clever or subtle and were simply childish.

I suspect that anyone who doesn't find this film hilarious or who fails to get the 'irony' has clearly seen other films that do humour and irony a whole load better.

Half way through watching this film my wife turned to me and asked me how much longer it had to go. I know what she meant.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2012 10:28 AM GMT

Morphy Richards 40750 ComfiGrip Professional Steam Iron
Morphy Richards 40750 ComfiGrip Professional Steam Iron

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for ironing aoround the power socket, 18 Feb 2010
I ordered this steam iron on the assumption (duh!) that the flex would be as long as the Morphy Richards 40739 steam iron which looked similar on the Amazon website. I was wrong. The flex on this iron is only 2 metres which is great if your ironing board is attached to the wall next to the power socket. Mine isn't.

Judging by the condition of the packaging that came with the iron I would guess that I wasn't its first 'owner'.

I never bothered plugging it in so I've no idea if it was actually any good as an iron.

Top marks to Amazon though for ease of returns.

Roberts RD21B(ECO4) Ecologic 4 DAB/FM RDS Digital Stereo Radio wth up to 150 Hours Battery Life - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap but well worth the money, 17 Jan 2010
I bought one of these radios for my wife a year ago (sorry Amazon, not from you on this rare occasion) as she wanted to listen to Planet Rock (probably the best radio station in the world) in the kitchen.

This is quite a good looking product, very well made and with a pleasing blue glow to the easy to read display. Setting up the radio was simplicity itself and we have had no problems at all with getting great reception, even with the aerial only slightly extended.

Sound quality is very good considering the size of the unit and I'm glad I opted for a stereo radio rather than mono....it's worth the extra money.

Roberts has a good reputation for DAB radios and I can fully understand why.

I would recommend this product to anyone wanting a very good quality, portable DAB radio.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2014 11:08 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3