Profile for Albert JJ > Reviews

Fred's War: A Doctor in the Trenches
by Andrew Davidson
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fred's War, 25 Oct 2013
Given both of my grandfathers fought in France during 1914/18, it's no surprise that the subject of the First World War - we always referred to it as The Great War prior to 1945 - always held a special, one could say `family', interest for me. Fred's War, tells the story of the band of brothers who were the 1st Cameronians'. I found it a truly wonderful read, with the individuals and life and times they endured in the trenches, becoming alive off the page: there's Sergeant Blakemore, sniper and the battalions crack shot, the Cameronians' secret weapon... Robertson the CO who warns Fred to be more careful due to snipers; a dead Medical Officer is no use to the battalion... Lieutenant Woods, the Quartermaster; a former sergeant - major, hard drinking 43 year old Cockney, a father figure...
Over the years I have read many a book concerning the 1914/18 war and in my opinion, Fred's War is ranks amongst the very best. Andrew Davidson narrative crackles along and is supported by a veritable treasure-trove of photographs. I read it, enjoyed it, and will undoubtedly be dipping into it regularly for many - God willing - years to come.