Profile for JR > Reviews

Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning vista, 12 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
My children died recently and, in solace, I hung this in their bedroom. I have now forgotten all about them and can't wait for Christmas.

Thanks Paul!

Peter Kay's Special Kay [DVD]
Peter Kay's Special Kay [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Kay
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Total rip off, 12 Dec. 2008
I bought this expecting it to be either new material or, at least, funny. Unfortunately it is a collection of the SAME material from stand up, some adverts and a music video.
No doubt it'll be a massive seller - do yourself a favour, watch the clips online.

Tangent 11167 QUATTRO Walnut Internet Radio
Tangent 11167 QUATTRO Walnut Internet Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars I've seen the future..., 12 Nov. 2008
I've seen the future...and I love it.

This was the best £180 I have ever spent - a stonking bit of kit. I like the radio and own, along with many FM/AM jobs, a DAB/CD player, a DAB with a good speaker and a DAB walkman, so it's fair to say I'm a radio buff. However - listening to radio streaming on the internet has always been a pain. I don't want to leave my computer on in my bedroom, or all night burning the screen up, just so I can listen to NPR or Phoenix K-Rock or one of the many excellent online stations. I had resorted to downloading podcasts or mp3 files and loading them up onto an mp3 player - all's fair, but it's not live and you can't pick and choose what you want, when you want.

This solves everything. I can now listen to over 12,000 stations - all across the USA, Australia, Canada, Iraq, Cameroon...you name it. I can wake up to the weather in Alaska and fall asleep to a Sydney cabbie moaning in a phone in.
As an added bonus...many stations, including NPR and the BBC, allow you to listen to all their podcasts on demand and all their shows from the previous week on demand. Fall asleep and miss Brain of Britain? Listen to it the next morning!

Register on Reciva.com and you can configure your Quattro to play ANY podcasts on demand. It's amazingly easy.

I had read these reviews below and been encouraged, but was slightly worried by the technical problems review. Don't worry - this must be the only negative review I've read. It was easy to set up - initially I couldn't get it to go through the wireless firewall, but simply connecting the quattro to the wireless hub using the ethernet cable, letting it configure, then unplugging the ethernet solved the issue. Easy.

Cannot reccomend this highly enough if you like the radio. It looks gorgeous, is a good weight (not a hollow box or a brick) and sounds as good as DAB.

This is the future of radio my friends!

Choosing and Using Statistics: A Biologist's Guide
Choosing and Using Statistics: A Biologist's Guide
by Calvin Dytham

5.0 out of 5 stars If you HATE stats, but have to do them for your degree..., 12 Jan. 2005
...buy this book! It covers everything you need to know for a Biological honours degree in the UK, and for most of a masters as well. If you have got no idea about what it all means - and frankly don't care about what n represents - you just want to type in the data, and get a significant result... buy this book, it cuts out all the crap and is easy to understand. You will learn something! You need MINITAB or SPSS though.

Norma Waterson
Norma Waterson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this album on the strength of the covers..., 12 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Norma Waterson (Audio CD)
of Elvis Costello, Billy Bragg, Richard Thompson and Jerry Garcia songs...and was not dissapointed. Norma's version of God Loves A Drunk is, in my opinion, better than Richard Thompson's himself!
With a great line-up of backing musicians (including Danny and Richard Thompson) this album is a quietly beautiful folk album comparable with the very best of June Tabor.

Pour Down Like Silver
Pour Down Like Silver
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Pour Down Like Silver, 13 July 2004
This review is from: Pour Down Like Silver (Audio CD)
A great album to be introduced to Richard and Linda Thompson with, the songs of Pour Down Like Silver are beautifully accomplished. Not as folky as I want to see the bright lights, with an eastern influence noticible in the music and lyrics (they had both converted to Suffism), this music is full of emotion, and makes beautiful listening. This new edition has some live recordings which add very little to the original recording, but the remastered sound is worth it!