Profile for Scott > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dobble Card Game
Dobble Card Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, almost makes children tolerable, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dobble Card Game (Toy)
Very simple, snap type game which is fantastic both with alcohol and with children (please don't mix :) ).

You'd never believe such a simple game can actually be so difficult.

Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black
Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, average battery life., 14 Jun 2013
I have the sony bluetooth headset and it can be troublesome connecting and has an especially poor microphone (for phone conversations). This is much better in almost all respects and I love having an actual on/off switch instead of having to hold buttons in forever.

It does have a couple of downsides :-
1. Not great battery life (I need to charge every three days or so).
2. No screen - so not easy to monitor the battery life (you can press something to make it flash its lights to tell you what's left, but I damned if I can remember what you have to do and what the flashes mean).
3. Range isn't as good as the Sony - It's not a problem in itself for me, but worth noting.

The litmus test is that I'm using it in preference to the sony, so I do feel it's better at its job.

Adastra 125.032 OD Series Water Resistant Speaker
Adastra 125.032 OD Series Water Resistant Speaker
Offered by Electromart-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality for the money, 14 Jun 2013
Bought these to have fitted in my bathroom. I was worried about the quality, but it's fine, no quibbles at all. Especially for the cost.
Fast delivery too.

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars So good......, 22 Jun 2012
Plug in, press the 'pair' button and never think of them again.

Actually, that's not strictly true. I bought another pair !

And yes, that means you can use as many as you want. I have one plugged in to the Wifi router and 3 others around the house. You just 'pair' each receiver with the one connected to the router and they all communicate happily. I stream video all over the house and have no problems with lagging etc.

Synology DS411j 4-bay - No HDD - NAS Enclosure (No HDD Installed)
Synology DS411j 4-bay - No HDD - NAS Enclosure (No HDD Installed)

5.0 out of 5 stars A review for non techies, 22 Jun 2012
Sick waiting for DVDs to load, I've ripped so many files to my hard drive, I'm rapidly running out of disk space. I'm also so terrified of a disk crash that I thought a NAS drive would help me fix both problems (with the standard setup, if one of the disks dies, the other 2 (or 3) can actually recreate the data from the broken disk).

The Synology box came, I opened it and put four (matching) hard drives into the bays. I then plugged it into the power then into my wireless router.

Then I put the CD into my laptop and the program started, found the NAS drive on the network and then presented me with a setup wizard (in which, I followed its suggestions).

That's it, I now (OK after a weekend's formatting time) have 8 Terabits of hard drive space that is accessible from all of my computers (I have two little ones plugged into TVs), laptops and even mobile phones. From any of those, I can access all my videos, music and photos with very little lag or effort.

Like everyone has said, copying files from one PC to the box takes hours and hours. But I can live with that, or just plug a hard drive directly into the box and that's much faster.

I've had Synology box about a month now and have had no issues, reboots etc. You could 'just' sleep in the room with the box running. Almost silent during the day, but you can hear it hum at night.

Just one word of caution - make sure the hard drives you buy are supported to run on the box. I've also completely failed to get it to work as a print server, but I'll get a techie friend onto that one while I make coffee.

Setting this up is hugely expensive (mainly because of the cost of hard drives), but don't let the technology put you off.

TP-Link TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender
TP-Link TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender
Offered by UKStocked

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, 21 Jun 2012
Wow. I now have four of these things. You plug them in, press the 'pair' button and forget they exist. Works upstairs, downstairs, new extension (i.e. different circuits). Just plain works.

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx Sim Free Smartphone (discontinued by manufacturer)
Motorola Droid Razr Maxx Sim Free Smartphone (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars After 3 months - better than I could hope for, 21 Jun 2012
I've had this phone for a week (update - 3 months) now and it's everything I hoped for. Battery life IS fantastic, but being realistic, as a heavy corporate user, I haven't been able to get two days from a charge. But charging once a day is a MASSIVE improvement over my old phone (HTC Desire) - I would be at 30% after lunch.

Other benefits.
. Really good reception. I live in a poor reception area, my HTC and my Wife's iphone struggle for signal. The Razr, is a marked improvement.
. This is also true for bluetooth reception.
. I was really shocked at how impressive high end games (GTA 3) are when run on the phone (I now have enough battery life to actually play games).
. 'Smart actions' is a very user friendly way to configure your phone so that it suits your needs (e.g. When connected to my car's bluetooth, the phone automatically kills the wifi and enables GPS).

I had been scared (no longer) to buy this phone due to the reports of cracked screens in the USA (having said that, only on one site). I've decided that battery life means it's worth taking the risk. I'll report back in a couple of months and award 5 stars if all is well.
Like me, if you're in doubt, spend £60 on insurance.

Overall, what's the point in having a smartphone if you can't use it ? The Razr Maxx has fully resolved that issue.

Update - I've now had this phone for 3 months and am just as impressed as ever. The recent Ice Cream Sandwich update is welcome, but hasn't made much difference to my appreciation of the phone. Some longer term findings :-

1. I don't even charge the phone when I use GPS. I use GPS a lot and I've really got out of the habit of having the phone on charge for anything up to 3 hours on GPS (by which time it's still on well over half charge). That's hugely impressive.

2. I can't tell which way up the phone is. The phone is almost completely symmetrical and I always try and use it upside down.

3. I think this is an issue with some work software I run on my phone, but occasionally the phone gets very hot and battery life is awful. I'm sure it's an issue with a process hanging, but I think it's software from my company that's causing the issue (a reboot every now and then sorts it).

4. DON'T worry about the cracked screen thingy (on some us sites). I've had no hints of an issue and have dropped it (gently) enough to know the issue does not affect my phone.

5. The screen is still completely free from marks and looks brand new - I don't use a cover or screen protectors.

Other phones are faster, but if you can't use 'em, what's the point ??

Best Phone on sales !
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2012 1:23 PM BST

Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, PC - Windows 8, 7, Vista & XP)
Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, PC - Windows 8, 7, Vista & XP)

4.0 out of 5 stars Should last a lifetime, 18 April 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I've had the TH8 for a couple of months now and it's almost boringly good. It feels robust, well built and feels like it'll last forever. However, even at the maximum adjustment, there's not nearly enough friction to stop the gearshift being too easy and fast (shatters my suspension of disbelief that I'm lapping Monaco in a real Ferrari :) ). I bought it to replace the original, sadly demised, G25 gearstick and it's better in terms of quality, feel and noise. But I do miss the useful buttons it had. A thought that didn't occur until I plugged it in.
Thrustmaster, if you're listening, I'd make one simple change. Create a blanking plate for gears 7 and 8. I still can't get used to 4 vertical slots when using it (it also looks a little odd).

But despite this, I'd heartily recommend.

EXTENDED 1500 mAh REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR HTC DESIRE HD
EXTENDED 1500 mAh REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR HTC DESIRE HD
Offered by datablender

2.0 out of 5 stars Er, rubbish, 24 Nov 2011
I'm sorry, but let's be straight. This battery makes your phone fatter and DOES NOT last any longer. After a month, I bought a genuine battery.

Needless to say, I have no axe to grind. The battery works, the new back fits, I REALLY wish it did work, but facts are facts.

4 HEAD MULTI CHARGING USB CABLE - IPOD / IPHONE / MICRO USB / MINI USB / NOKIA SMALL PIN PART OF THE QUBITS ACCESSORIES RANGE
Offered by ClickJunkie

5.0 out of 5 stars Trying to keep people from nicking them is the only problem, 24 Nov 2011
I've had three of these for a couple of months now and had no quality issues. BE WARNED there's no data transfer, but it's fantastically useful to have in your bag. You can charge everything AND all at once.

The only problem, people keep nicking 'em !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3