Profile for Baldie > Reviews

Baldie

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Ex-Ceed Disgorgers
Ex-Ceed Disgorgers

4.0 out of 5 stars it is used just like any standard disgorger but it won't come off the ..., 1 July 2014
This review is from: Ex-Ceed Disgorgers (Misc.)
They work.
This is a familiar barrel type disgorger with a redesigned head. You have to present the disgorger at 90 degrees to the line and then rotate it towards the fish. When you do this, it is used just like any standard disgorger but it won't come off the line, until you're ready to take it off.
A nifty idea but I wish they made specimen sized versions.

Optimum Bike Backpack Nitebrite 20 liters Green (Fluo Green) CNBBP
Optimum Bike Backpack Nitebrite 20 liters Green (Fluo Green) CNBBP
Price: 17.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag - sorry about the pun, 1 July 2014
This is a nicely made, perfectly serviceable high visibility backpack that has some bizarre design features.
There are two black plastic clips (both female) that don't appear to have any purpose at all - you can't even clip your helmet to them.
There is a zipped pocket (visible just below the logo) that is about three inches wide at the top and eight inches wide at the bottom. You can't get your hand in and the only way to get anything out of the pocket is to upend the bag and shake vigorously.
There's another zipped pocket (visible just above the black base) that is not only upside down but also has a mysterious mesh bag stitched into it which you can't get back into the upside down pocket if you put anything into it.
It remains to be seen how durable the bag is but bizarre and useless features notwithstanding, I'm reasonably happy with it do far.

BRAND NEW HEAVY DUTY 1M METER BICYCLE SPIRAL CABLE BIKE SAFETY LOCK WITH 2 KEYS LOCKS
Offered by choicefullbargain
Price: 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Good enough - not, 28 Jun 2014
As expected, this lock consists of a reasonably rugged cable encased in plastic with a key operated lock.
It's surprisingly light weight (there's quite a lot of plastic over the steel), wraps nicely in a figure eight around the handlebars and doesn't get into a coiled mess like some of the longer cables.
1m is long enough to secure both the frame and the front wheel to a bike rack or just the frame to just about any lamp post. Keys are the circular type which wouldn't have been my first choice, although they seem fine.
If you're leaving a valuable bike in a public rack, go invest in a couple of Kryptonites or similar. If you just need to be able to lock your bike up at work or outside the supermarket, this is just the job.

Edit: Just a couple of days after posting a very positive review, my misgivings about circular keys were borne out. The lock failed and will not unlock.
Fortunately, I didn't end up with the bike locked up in some dodgy location until I could return with cutting tools but if I had, this could have been a very expensive cheap lock. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Selection of 20 Metal Cage Swim Feeders
Selection of 20 Metal Cage Swim Feeders
Offered by Redwood Tackle
Price: 9.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much of a "selection", 28 Jun 2014
Not much of a selection here. Quality is OK but the pack contains 20 small feeders all weighing just 12g each. All of the feeders are the same size but 10 are round and 10 are square in section.
These feeders are not suitable for carp or for fishing rivers with any appreciable depth or flow but will be fine for stillwaters where you don't want much bait going in.
If these feeders had been three times the size and the 25g mentioned in another review, I would have been a happy man but alas they're not.

KOBO N204-KBO-B AURA HD6.8IN EPD BLACK&BLACK W/XGA DISPLAY 1440X1080&FRONT LI IN - (Gadgets Ebook Readers)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not ticking my boxes, 31 May 2014
I've used a Kobo Touch for a while now but am finding the small 6" screen inadequate.
I'm aware that e-ink make 8" screens and was hoping to find a Kobo model with that screen size that I could simply port my library over to.
Sadly, this is the only option available - and an extra 0.8" just doesn't cut the mustard.
Then there's the price which is a little high.

Come on Kobo. There's lots of readers that are getting older and prefer bigger text or who simply enjoy the more fluid reading experience available when they're not having to tap the screen to turn a page every 30 seconds.
If you want to control the price, ditch the wireless link and the browser, I for one have only ever transferred books onto my Kobo by connecting it to a PC via a USB cable.

Bolle SILPSF Silium Safety Smoke Glasses
Bolle SILPSF Silium Safety Smoke Glasses
Price: 7.66

2.0 out of 5 stars I' lucky to have these, 10 May 2014
Got home last night to find a blue and white card on the mat from "Amazon Logistics".
"Interesting", I thought "I don't have a gray box".
I do have a white cupboard outside where post is often left when I'm out but the only things in there are a couple of old recycling boxes and some empty bottles that I use for homebrewing in there.
Off I went to check it but after a couple of minutes turning things over, no parcel could be found.
I closed the door and stared around perplexed, wondering what they could possibly mean by "gray box".
After a few seconds, my eye fell inevitably on the only grey object in the vicinity - the bin.
With trepidation, I lifted the lid and peered inside to be greated by the sight of a cardboard box bearing the legend "Amazon.it" nestled atop the pinable peelings and the three dayold frame of a chicken.
Well done Amazon on working so hard to provide jobs for idiots in your logistics division.

I've yet to open the glasses but as this is my fourth pair, I don't envisage any issues. They're nice summer cycling glasses that keep the bugs out of my eyes and reduce glare. I usually have to replace them every season as they get a bit scratched and generally abused but they are at least cheap as chips and rated for impact protection should a pebble get flicked into your face by a passing car.
They're not good for winter use though because the close fit means that there's not a lot of airflow and they do tend to steam up at traffic lights.

Game of Thrones - Season 3 [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]

Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Price: 57.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm lucky to have this, 10 May 2014
"Interesting", I thought "I don't have a gray box".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2014 8:43 PM BST

47 Ronin [DVD] [2014]
47 Ronin [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves
Offered by nagiry
Price: 12.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the reviews, 8 May 2014
This review is from: 47 Ronin [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
This film was recieved poorly in Japan (most likely because the script plays fast and loose with a story that is pretty much a cultural icon) and lazy western reviewers perpetuated the meme that this is a bad film - it isn't.
Sure it's a bit silly in places and has some entirely unecessary fantasy elements but it is both visually stunning and entertaining.
Like the recent Lone Ranger film (which is supurb), this movie is much better than the critics would have you believe

Gravity [DVD] [2013]
Gravity [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Price: 10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Far to much stupid to be enjoyable, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Gravity [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
In common with most recent Sci-Fi, the levels of stupidity in Gravity make it unwatchable after the first viewing.
Apparently, despite space being an environment where specific jobs have specific tools, every spacecraft has to have a set of mole grips floating around for no readily descernable reason.
A space station is draped with a re-entry parachute and lines (required for a future dramatic moment of stupidity) despite the three part module that has the parachute as part of it's central component still being connected together which would make the release of the parachute imposible.
Clooney and bullock are on either end of a rope and are stationary relative to one another. Clooney does the big hero thing and lets go of the rope ony to drift off into space...Erm why? What force is acting on him exactly? Come to that, the slightest amunt of pulling on the rope would have seen him moving towards bullock with no difficulty.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2014 11:44 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5